Retro Round

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This weekend's game is retro round and we'll be wearing a replica of the 2003-09 jersey.

What are some of your memories of the club during that time, obviously the four consecutive GF appearances 2006-07-08-09. Players which will go down as some of the greatest ever in the club's history and just in general - other memories from that era (rugby league and non-rugby league related). I don't think people realise how old the decade of the 2000s is getting.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jake Webster's match winning try against Canterbury Bulldogs at Olympic Park. When I think of the good old days that's all I remember... that and the first emergency services cup when Greg Inglis sent Soward into orbit with a fend off!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Nacho I remember that Bulldogs game so well. We were behind all game and won, it was great. El Masri missed two goals that night, I never saw him miss and I loved it.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brett Anderson's try when he caught a kick almost behind his back has always been a favourite - a bit obscure I know.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Anthony Quinn getting taken out at Olympic Park while jumping to catch a bomb and getting knocked unconscious. The bloke sitting behind me says "He better not have dropped the ball".
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I still remember Robbo scoring the game winner in what was basically our 'Baby Storm' team during origin. Can't remember the exact year, but he walked through a hole and took an age to score. It was like he was in shock but the way he took it we all thought it must have been forward!

Will always love Robbie Ross' hit on Adrian Lam at Olympic Park too
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:Anthony Quinn getting taken out at Olympic Park while jumping to catch a bomb and getting knocked unconscious. The bloke sitting behind me says "He better not have dropped the ball".
:lol: :lol: ::)
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

steaming stormer wrote: Will always love Robbie Ross' hit on Adrian Lam at Olympic Park too
What? This hit?

That was a beauty. One of my all time faves.

For the trivia buffs, that would have been Round 6 2000. ;)
Apart from recalling that it was the week after we annihilated the lizards at the MCG - I can still hear the 'Mundine's a wanker' chants echoing around the G - the giveaway is Tony Martin is playing (so not later than 2000) and Hill at lock (so not earlier than 2000).
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Loved the 'Mundine's a Wanker' chant, I remember cheering when he got parked on his backside by someone that game too - think it was Howe?
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote:Loved the 'Mundine's a Wanker' chant, I remember cheering when he got parked on his backside by someone that game too - think it was Howe?
Served him right for his snide "undeserving premiers" shot leading up to the game.
Incidentally, it was the week after that Mundine walked out on the Dogs. That 70-10 flogging was his last game of Rugby League.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mentioning the 70-10 game at the 'G', sitting in the rain in a bay all to myself with the umbrella up and having a pompous official come and tell me to put down the umbrella. Tossa.
Yes, Robbie Ross on Adrian Lam is firmly etched in the memory bank, but geez, was it really 2000, where has the time gone! (He might not have got away with that tackle in todays game)
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep, that's the hit! What a gem... and how is it 17 years ago???? 3-4 weeks in today's game
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

steaming stormer wrote:Yep, that's the hit! What a gem... and how is it 17 years ago????
Sad but true
3-4 weeks in today's game
Would be a couple of weeks at least.
I miss watching the big hits like that; but if the ban stops any more James Ackerman type tragedies I'm on board.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

As someone who has only gotten to see a handful of Storm games live, I consider myself very lucky to have been at Suncorp in 2008.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

My absolute favourite moment of the decade was the hit by Mick Crocker on Brett Stewart early in the second half of the 07 GF. At that moment , the game was ours. The whole family had flown up the previous year and sat through the cruel 06 GF loss, so to go back up there the following year and know so far from the end that it was in the bag, was sensational.

Lots of happy moments at. Olympic Park ( and even putting 64 on Wests one night during our time at what is now Etihad). Like others I remember that extraordinary comeback against the Bulldogs.

I recall Cam Smith's first game - replacing Richie Swain, which was quite controversial. Also, of course watching on TV as we came from miles begins to beat the Sharks in what was the first game of a left centre named Slater.

The most jaw-dropping moment ( aside from the Danny Williams brainsnap that cost him 16 weeks ) was when a young Greg Inglis took the ball at full back at the river end and beat bloke after bloke with a combination of amazing speed and great strength. In those early days , when he was on, he was truly extraordinary.