Round 18 Storm v Eels at AAMI Park Sat 8 July 7:30pm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've never liked Tohu defending at centre. He lacks the agility and acceleration to defend there.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Another great NRL fixture courtesy of the geniuses at NRL headquarters who have no idea what to do with scheduling Origin football without killing the Premiership games.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Everything in perspective I'm not too dissapointed with the loss. Parra were never going to take us lightly given our performances recently so against a side that can beat the best I'll cop that.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

To having them under pressure, to then passing it literally right to them, to then letting them run a training drill to clinch the game. Extremely frustrating.

We never let the game get out of hand so I guess that's a positive.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

What did you guys think about Myles? I thought his second stint in particular was quite good. Looked like he was really trying to lift the team with his defence. I think that he will definitely be an asset off the bench, and will really add to our forward pack when it gets back to full strength
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote:I've never liked Tohu defending at centre. He lacks the agility and acceleration to defend there.
He is a better defensive centre than Young Tonumaipea.

Given that we were without our Origin players, we had Wheel of Fortune centres (no Chambers or Scott, then Blair and Harris going down), Eels effectively scored 10 points when we were down a man (Semi try 30 seconds after Suli come back on) and Danny Williams' best mate had the whistle, it wasn't too bad an effort.

I thought Stimson was better at hooker than Griffin.

There are some people who say Justin Olam isn't ready for first grade. Seriously his defence can't be any worse than Young Turnstile and he has oodles of pace and x factor.

Biggest concern from tonight are injuries to Blair and Harris.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Griffin looked much better in his second stint. Ran the ball and looked dangerous, and passed quicker.

Still thought Stimpson deserved more of a go, he actually looked pretty good there.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Take out that poor first 20 or so minutes and it was pretty good effort. Add the questionable 40/20 ( I thought it was short), the no sin bin for Gutherson(ridiculous missed call). Losing Blair early on didn't help. With all the players we had out and them being practically full strength, I thought we went alright
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Deadpool wrote:Take out that poor first 20 or so minutes and it was pretty good effort. Add the questionable 40/20 ( I thought it was short), the no sin bin for Gutherson(ridiculous missed call). Losing Blair early on didn't help. With all the players we had out and them being practically full strength, I thought we went alright
Agreed 100% but geez didn't we do some stupid things to only aid and abet the situation. In time the rushes of blood will be got under control.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Apparently Cheyse has re-injured his ankle
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mystormboys wrote:Apparently Cheyse has re-injured his ankle
That's a shame for Cheyse but I would prefer a Chambers/Scott centre combo anyway
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mules attitude in the post-game interview is exactly what I was hoping he would bring. Wasn't satisfied and knew we could do more especially after building a fortress down in Melb recently

The young fellas will learn a lot from him along with the other senior players.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If we had a suitable replacement I'd be all for giving Suli a wake up call with a couple of weeks stint in the Q Cup. It's hard to blame one player when there's 13 on the field but he looked more interested in winning his one on one battle against Radradra than playing a team game.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On the positive side...

- Some of Crofty's pass selection and execution was outstanding. Playing way above his experience level.

- Jahrome Hughes was again, most excellent. 200m gained.

- NAS (135m) and Jesse (180m) were strong in the second half (like I was hoping for at half time) - unfortunately it wasn't enough.

- We completed well (81%). Unfortunately the Eels completed even better (89%).

- Suli was horrible but in my opinion, the fix is not a huge change required. He was beaten twice by footwork as he was mid-sprint trying to pressure Semi who was catching. Suli just needs to have better awareness. If he cannot get there in time, hang back slightly so the defensive line is not compromised. I don’t believe there is anything systemic. The sin bin was unlucky.

- Myles was solid on debut. Some stinging defence.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bellamy has said that we are unlikely to see Cheyse Blair again this year. The ankle he had a pin put in after round 14 has been reinjured. Big blow...

Scott gets his chance to shine. I hope he can step up, do his job well and that his defence is up to finals footy.