Origin

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Only three picked for Queensland - relieved it's not more.

1. Darius Boyd (Brisbane Broncos)
2. Corey Oates (Brisbane Broncos)
3. Will Chambers (Melbourne Storm)
4. Justin O'Neill (North Queensland Cowboys)
5. Dane Gagai (Newcastle Knights)
6. Anthony Milford (Brisbane Broncos)
7. Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm)
8. Dylan Napa (Sydney Roosters)
9. Cameron Smith (c) (Melbourne Storm)
10. Nate Myles (Manly Sea Eagles)
11. Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)
12. Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)
13. Josh McGuire (Brisbane Broncos)
Interchange:
14. Michael Morgan (North Queensland Cowboys)
15. Sam Thaiday (Brisbane Broncos)
16. Aidan Guerra (Sydney Roosters)
17. Jacob Lillyman (Warriors)
18. Johnathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's really hard to be bothered much with origin these days when the best 17 players are rarely picked.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wish we could vote as a club to sit our players out - as a Victorian, I hate it.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

How can they not pick Hess from the Cowboys, he has been playing so well. I suppose the have to keep picking old players because of loyalty
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Slater should be fullback. So disappointed they went with Boyd instead. Valentine Holmes should be on the wing. Oates and O'Niell shouldn't be there. The backline should be
1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Chambers
4. Gagai
5. Holmes
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Slater and Boyd offers far more than Boyd and Oates IMO... Seems strange.

I'd have;

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Chambers
4. Gagai
5. Holmes
6. JT/Munster
7. Cronk
8. Napa
9. Smith (c)
10. Wallace
11. Papalli
12. Gillette
13. McGuire

14. Morgan
15. Thaiday
16. Lillyman
17. Hess
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Munster is not Origin standard. Not yet. His last tackle options last night were very poor and he'd get creamed. Origin, as we know, is a whole different ball game. Milford is the obvious replacement for JT but given he's been named 18th man I wouldn't be surprised if it is some stock standard pre-Origin Queensland gamesmanship and mind games and Thurston actually plays.

I understand Boyd getting picked but on current form Billy is very unlucky to miss out. At the same time the less footy he plays the better for Storm.

Hess would excel in Origin but I often wonder who Tim Glasby would have to get some dirty laundry on to get a start.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:I wish we could vote as a club to sit our players out - as a Victorian, I hate it.
Origin is the biggest stage in the game, nay Australian sport, and the players who get selected bleed for their jersey and their state.

Unless they are on their deathbed you won't keep a player from Origin, particuarly if they are Queenslanders. If a player is ruled out of Origin it is devestating.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

as a Victorian I'm dancing a happy dance

as a qld fan I'm pissed off
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Munster is not origin standard but Tim Glasby is. I have seen it all.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Munster is not ready yet. He'll eventually take over the fullback spot tho, I'm confident of that. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes into camp with them this week tho
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Despite my criticism of Munster's defence from the week just gone, I have significantly more faith in his defensive ability. Milf can expect some big boppers headed his way all night.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

When do NSW get picked?

Finucane probably should get picked but won't. You'd think Jordan getting picked for 18th man for the Kangaroos a few weeks back would mean a call up to the BLues. More likely to happen than Finucane I think.
Phillip Island Storm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Whatever you do, don't upset Wayne Bennett. Wayne said on the weekend if you don't pick Milf in the 17 then he won't release him for the origin camp. Milf picked. Wayne said on the weekend you have to pick Boyd over Slater. Boyd picked in F/B and Salter overlooked. Wayne is a key player in the Brisbane economy and when the Broncs are firing and getting selected then the sun shines brighter in Brisbane. Don't upset Wayne Bennett. Some years ago if a club withheld a player from rep games without them being injured then they were forced by the league to stand down from the corresponding club game; no worries of that for Wayne.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well said Phillip Island Storm, I was thinking the same thing. Bennett loves Milford and Boyd and guess what, they at playing origin in the positons they like. When Mal Meninga was Queensland coach he should up tp Bennett, like he is doing with the Australian team, and now they do not talk. But it was a bit easier for Mal as Bennett was not the coach of the Broncos for a lot of his time as Maroons coach.

Milford hates it when someone hits him hard or roughs him up a little bit. NSW are going to hit him all night, he is not for origin.