Round 6 - Storm vs Sharks

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I know it was wet but gee was made a lot of ball handling errors.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Another terrible game from Cronk! His form is on the slide.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:Another terrible game from Cronk! His form is on the slide.
Yep apart from the 40/20 he was terrible. Smh when he kicked out on the second tackle when we had momentum.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The contrast between how the Sharks defend Cronk and we defended Maloney on the go ahead field goal was night and day.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Let's face it, that loss has been coming for a couple of weeks now.
Can't afford to make that many errors against crap sides let alone good ones.
Big test this week against Manly.
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

Disappointed to lose to the sharks again.
yet again though we had hardly any good field position and felt like we were defending the whole first half.

I'd like cronk to be a one club player etc but if a syd team wants to pay $1.4 mil as reported for a 35yr old who has looked slow and been crunched a few times this year good luck to them.

That kick he did on the 2nd or 3rd tackle killed our momentum.
Last edited by Storm2016 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Who'd be a coach
storminghome
Squall
Squall

We lost the game when some idiot gave away a penalty on their line so they got to take the penalty from the 22.

Some idiots also lost the Grand Finals last year by giving away two stupid penalties when we finally got in front.

When will they ever learn??
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

looked flat...like a team that had a big, sad, emotional announcement from a well loved snr player during the week.

aberration imho...

they'll bounce back with some gusto...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kenny and Chambers were great IMO
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

We were lucky they kept targeting the Young T/AC side as every time Vunivalu touched it, he torched it. Could have been a lot worse.

Time to give croft an extended run off the bench IMO. Especially with origin approaching. How is he and smith going in reserve grade?
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NAS has been great and did step up yesterday but really needs to respect that ball a bit more. Everytime he runs I hold my breath thinking he could drop it.
Again Chambers defense has been exceptional and Kaufusi's sting in tackles is really good work.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Sharks are my new least favourite team. Gallen, Maloney, Graham and Fifita were at their grubby best. Anyone else catch Gallen basically punching the tackling player from the ground? We didn't play well at all. I thought Cam and Billy had flashes of brilliance. Coops needs to get used to players rushing out of their line and either make quicker decisions or get it to Jacks at second receiver. A few times in the last couple of games he's been tackled just as he was about to kick or pass. Having said all that, I think the effort from all the boys was there and that they all played with a lot of heart - just needed be a bit smarter and play wet weather footy for a bit.
PS I had to watch the game on telly and Gus' commentating was atrocious. At one point he said that the Sharks needed to kick behind slater and "rush up on him and squeeze his shoulder blades together". It made me feel a bit sick tbh given what Billy's had to overcome the past two years.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thoughts;

1. Agreed RE Cronk. Had no answer whatsoever to getting pressured. Needs to fix that asap or risks that same gameplan being taped up in every opposition team's dressing sheds, every week.

2. The Sharks are filthy.

3. An extension to point 1 - It was obvious that the Sharks would/were using the same tactic. Why didn't we adapt as a team? Putting Cronk's blame to one side, Bellyache and Smith should have been all over this and made a change... Either get a second receiver outside Cronk, short ball to Slater inside aimed at the gaping hole left by Graham rushing out of the line, etc.

4. Why does every other team gain 25+ metres from a penalty kick to touch, but Smith consistently only gets 15m. Kills me.

5. I really hope Blair is ok... We face the prospect of missing Chambers for a week or two. I am happy with him shooting in but he needs to ball-and-all front on, not turn in and risk a shoulder charge.

6. We are usually phenomenal at wet weather footy... Not yesterday. Pushing offloads. Simple drops. Not kicking long to the corners. That second tackle kick from Cronk was atrocious decision making.

7. The Sharks are filthy. So, so filthy. I was begging for someone to lay Gallen out.

8. Our forwards haven't been that dominated in some time... Weak running and our first up contact was pretty poor. Really missed Jesse and Tohu out there who virtually always make a few extra yards after contact. Their absence aside, the rest of the boys needed to play with greater purpose.
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

Chambers given 1 week with early plea or 2 if he fights it

Hopefully Munster is back this week and can play in the centres