Cronk is not retiring for now

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Found this story about Cronk saying he is going anywhere at the moment: Bu the still stayed in Sydney after the game, just like he did after the Bulldogs game. Hope he knows when are game is this weekend, so he makes it back in time:

Maroons halfback Cooper Cronk admits his future lies in Sydney when he finishes an illustrious career with over 300 Telstra Premiership appearances to his name for the Melbourne Storm.

The joint-Dally M player of the year was heavily speculated to be considering retirement following the 2017 Rugby League World Cup despite having another year left on his contract under Craig Bellamy at the Storm.

Speaking at the 2017 Holden State of Origin launch in Sydney, Cronk poured cold water over the prospect of ending his career prematurely in a bid to move closer to family and explore work in the media.

"I'm not sure where those media reports are coming from but I'm comfortable with where I am at the moment," Cronk said on Monday.

"There's no doubt I will move to Sydney [eventually], it's where my future is, my fiancé is and hopefully some opportunities post-football will come up.

"But whether that’s in 12 months' time, two years or five years… I can't answer that question."

Cronk turns 34 in December and with Cowboys skipper Johnathan Thurston announcing this will be his final State of Origin series, the Storm veteran was in no mood to follow suit.

"We're all turning 34 at some stage this year so natural progression will mean you're coming closer to the end than the beginning but everyone is on their own individual journey.

"Cameron [Smith], Billy [Slater] and myself don't ever talk about it.

"I'm sure Johnathan [Thurston] sat down with the closest people to him and made that decision.

"Everyone's different… for me I'm very comfortable with where I'm at in my career playing wise, so I don't see my future changing dramatically anytime soon.

"I haven't had that conversation and as I sit here today I love playing football and love playing Origin so as long as I warrant selection, I don't see that changing anytime soon."

Sending off Thurston a winner in two home games at Suncorp Stadium will be a priority for the Maroons, although Cronk insists that type of mentality can only get you so far.

"We've had some success in sending off some great players from the Origin arena like Darren Lockyer, Petero [Civoniceva] and Justin Hodges more recently," he said.

"Hopefully we can do the same for Johnathan but I know the reasons why we were successful in sending off those other greats, while there was that occasion for them, it was about doing the role for them.

"The way you win football games is not doing for them, it's by applying yourself, working for your teammate and doing your role to make your teammate a better player."

The smell of State of Origin around the corner still enthuses the Maroons halfback, despite his dominant record against the Blues in which Queensland have won 15 from 19 games with Cronk in the side.

"There's still a lot of football to be played and things can change but for me watching the highlights package [on the big screen at the launch] it starts getting the engine running and the excitement factor goes through the roof," Cronk said.

"It's rugby league at its best… It deserves the exposure and the attention.

"That's the best thing about Origin, it's tests you physically and it tests you mentally.

"New South Wales will be a tremendous team this year with their depth.

"I don't think [the Blues team] will change too much, while Paul Gallen won't be running out on the field, I suggest he will still be in and around the team helping out where he can.

"They've got talent in the fullback position with Jarryd Hayne, Matt Moylan and James Tedesco alone."

The Maroons copped a double-blow two months out from the opening game with Greg Inglis and Matt Scott both suffering long-term injuries, however Cronk was confident in the depth north of the border.

"I don't think it adds more pressure… but it's a massive setback," he said.

"Greg Inglis is the type of player can turn the game on its head with one act and Matt Scott has been front and centre of our engine room for a long time, so it's almost impossible to replace them.

"I'm sure the selectors will find someone to come in and do their job and as senior players it's our responsibility to educate them on Origin and fast-track their understanding of how we want to play."
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can I have the link? I want to troll Phil Rothfield with it! LOL.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It was on the NRL website and there is a 7 seven Sydney news video on twitter
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's under a headline saying his future is in Sydney
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So about that....
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

He's gone.....
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

So Buzz Rothfield was right again. Cooper lied last week. They all leave to be closer to family and now a women, why can't they move to Melbourne. We give them there start and they go. He was dating her last year when he signed.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the best not kept secret....

smoke..fire and all that...

if one of them had to go and play for another team....I am personally glad it wasn't Cam or Billy
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don't think he lied per se but he's obviously been struggling with it a lot more than he's let on. I feel for the guy to be honest. He said he was jealous of all the other guys who had their family around them here in Melbourne and it must be quite isolating for him to live without the support of family nearby.
I have so much respect for him and I hope Tara realises how much he's giving up to be with her. Best of luck to both of them I say.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks for the memories Coop! It will be very difficult seeing him pull on a different jersey... Finish with a Premiership in 2017 and the pain will be eased.

Prior to dating Rushton - Am I the only one that just assumed Coop was gay?
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cant hold it against him for leaving, he's done plenty for the club. What is very frustrating though is that since we resigned him, Proctor has left, Koroibete has left, Harris has left, McLean has left, and now he is not even honouring the full contract. The amount of player turnover we have had will justifiably be a massive challenge next year.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Hahaha yourhero, No, you're not the only one!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

brisbanestorm wrote:Cant hold it against him for leaving, he's done plenty for the club. What is very frustrating though is that since we resigned him, Proctor has left, Koroibete has left, Harris has left, McLean has left, and now he is not even honouring the full contract. The amount of player turnover we have had will justifiably be a massive challenge next year.
No disrespect Brisbanestorm...but the cultural of our great Club hasn't left....and that is more important than any one player or group of players.

It's not about who's not on the field...it's about who is...and the passion that they have for the purple jersey.

I have no doubt that our Club will continue to be successful to some varying degree for quite a while yet...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Premiership winner. Multiple dally ms. Churchill medallist. 300 games and over in which he became a mainstay in the Queensland and kangaroos teams.

Can't begrude him for moving on. Ultimate professional. He will be missed.
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm in shock to be honest.... I really thought he'd finish his career with us. What a sad day for the club.

Thanks for your service and good luck... but I really hope Tara understands the enormity of what Cooper is doing here.... the chance to be a one club player and potentially have a stand named after you or a statue at AAMI park is now gone. Very sad

Let's just hope the football deupartment get cracking on signing another quality half.

Anyone know how Broadie Croft is playing at our feeder team? I really haven't seen enough of him to predict if he will be a star or not