Cronk is not retiring for now

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... c329739c7a

STORM’S BID TO KEEP CRONK

THE Melbourne Storm have designed a left-field proposal aimed at keeping Cooper Cronk at the club beyond this season.

The deal would involve Cronk being allowed to sit out of the opening two months of the NRL season.

Yep, it’s highly unorthodox.

Essentially, Cronk would have from the end of the World Cup until May away from playing rugby league.

Renowned as a meticulous athlete, Cronk is one of the few players who may be able to handle such a unique set of playing circumstances.

The Storm have designed the plan to help transition young gun half Brodie Croft into the NRL.

The latest move comes after the club missed out on the signatures of gun playmakers Kieran Foran, Gareth Widdop and Anthony Milford.

KNIGHTS’ CRONK PITCH

NEWCASTLE have also designed a unique sales pitch aimed at convincing Cronk to play on.

The Knights have told the Kangaroos halfback he only needs to attend two training sessions per week and then play on the weekend.

Most club’s have a “G-minus three” training session three days out from a game.

Then they have “captain’s run” the day prior to playing.

The Knights are also having a big crack at James Maloney.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How would this kind of deal make sense to Cronk, Croft, or the club?

This sounds like a massive panic since we couldn't sign anyone.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Either keep him or dont, this limbo stuff would not be good for the club.

However, they may try to keep him until there is another good half on the market.

Knights are really showing their desperation if that offer is true
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

He does not do all the training sessions at Melbourne. For example this week he did recovery on Saturday morning, (not really a training session) and he did the Captains Run today in Sydney. Storm must have had other training sessions this week in Melbourne.

The Australian Soccer season is over in May, so if he has the first two months of the season off he could be in Sydney. Then she could live in Melbourne for the nest for months. Then is also a Soccer world cup next year, so you would think she would be overseas for that.

I have said it before, if he has to drive two hours each way to get to training and why can he not fly for an hour to Sydney.

Also, I do not think Foran or Milford were every coming to Storm, it was just to get better deals. Widdop was most likely the same
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jesus.

Just let him go.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yeah. I love Coops and would want nothing more than to see him play for us next year but I don't think his heart would be in it. Would be best for all parties if we just let him go. Yeah we may not win the comp next year but the club needs to accept that every team goes through a transition phase and we're going through a pretty big transition into life after the 'Big 3' era.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler ... 50a8077583

Great news. While I'd have loved for him to play on with us, at least he won't be playing elsewhere and he can still oversee the development of the young blokes on the halves. Best case scenario considering
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A lot better plan than the "take two months off and then join the team" plan that we saw the other week.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

After Croft's effort on Saturday I could have cared less if coops had gone to another club but good news he'll be hanging around to give the young bloke sime guidance!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LESStar58 wrote:After Croft's effort on Saturday I could have cared less if coops had gone to another club but good news he'll be hanging around to give the young bloke sime guidance!
Good sentiments Lesstar58...but i think it's just conjecture at present...Coops may still play on in 2018....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I hope it comes to pass. It will help us to continue to attract good halves to the Storm. It will make it more likely that Croft will stay- the chance to continue to be schooled by a super half back who is meticulous about preparation and clearly an intelligent, articulate person.

If instead Cooper went elsewhere, he would take with him all that experience , and potentially attract good halves to his new club.

It would be a great look for, and vote of confidence in, the club if Cooper stayed and joined the coaching staff.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote:I hope it comes to pass. It will help us to continue to attract good halves to the Storm. It will make it more likely that Croft will stay- the chance to continue to be schooled by a super half back who is meticulous about preparation and clearly an intelligent, articulate person.

If instead Cooper went elsewhere, he would take with him all that experience , and potentially attract good halves to his new club.

It would be a great look for, and vote of confidence in, the club if Cooper stayed and joined the coaching staff.
+1
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time