Cronk is not retiring for now

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Widdop has been fantastic this year. He's a big reason why the Dragons are top of the ladder. I would happily welcome him back. Plus he's a goal kicker that can take over when Smith goes
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He's looked pretty good this year. Plus he's a known commodity.

If the choice was between Widdop and someone like Townsend or Robson. I'm damn well signing the player I know has performed for our team already.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Deadpool wrote:Widdop has been fantastic this year. He's a big reason why the Dragons are top of the ladder. I would happily welcome him back. Plus he's a goal kicker that can take over when Smith goes
He also had a very average 2016 and by and large an underwhelming stint at the Dragons since he left us. It's all well and good he's had a decent 6 games into the season (coincidentally when he's playing for his next contract)

That said that pales in comparison when you're comparing it to 3 seasons before it when he's overall been just good to average with the odd very good game mixed in which to be fair have been few and far between.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The Dragons had nothing in the forwards the last couple years. It's extremely hard to play well behind a beaten forward pack. This year the Dragons forwards have been great and Widdop is showing his class.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Widdop is one of the few players who have left our club that has improved.
He's driven and is craving success.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I see both Bill and Cooper were talking about Foran over the weekend. Might not mean anything but it's interesting.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I reckon its a decoy for whoever they really want...they don't want us to know
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

It's pretty clear that the board are concerned that his dramas aren't over and that he might bring them with him.

Lets face it, in a game full of high profile nuffies; Hayne, Norman, Roberts etc., Foran took out last year's Jana Pitman award.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Of all the halves coming off contract at the end of the year Widdop is in the best form. Sure he had a crappy 2016 (didn't everyone?) but as Deadpool said he was playing behind a paper wall. Now that the dragons forwards are dominating and giving him a bit of space we can see what he's capable of. I'm fairly sure if he can get to this level under Mary then he can maintain or even exceed under Bellyache.
My only issue with Widdop is that he isn't an organiser and with Cronk leaving that's what we really need. Widdop has been doing so well because McCrone has been doing all the organising leaving Widdop to play what's in front of him. Not to say he couldn't develop that part of his game, but I'm just saying that isn't his main strength.
Rina
Squall
Squall

He was one of my favourites while he was in purple but Gareth isn't coming back.
I doubt he'd leave the Dragons after finally establishing himself as a leader and finding success.
He won't be looking back and neither should we.

Looks like Foran is headed back to Sydney too. Great player but I'm relieved.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With Hunt going to St George next season they'd be stupid to let Widdop go. Perfect combination.
I think we should be looking for a hooker and fullback or five eight for next season.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Foran was always going to go back to Sydney. To suggest he'd come here is ridiculous.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I see Widdop has all but re-signed with the Dragons, personally I can't say I'm overly upset by the news. Next...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Big feeling of relief from me...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm going to be really surprised if we go into next year with Croft/Jacks/Munster in the halves but there really isn't anyone worth the money to put over any one of those three guys.