Cronk is not retiring for now

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Joe Ofahengaue is another player I would like us to go after. Good player who seems out of favour at the Broncos
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Have a listen to the latest Fox Sports Market Watch NRL podcast. Frank Ponissi is a guest on the show and they talk about all the options for Storm in the wake of Cooper's decision.Sounds like the club is set on having Croft in the halves for the future but feel he's not quite ready just yet. It's an interesting listen anyway.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:Have a listen to the latest Fox Sports Market Watch NRL podcast. Frank Ponissi is a guest on the show and they talk about all the options for Storm in the wake of Cooper's decision.Sounds like the club is set on having Croft in the halves for the future but feel he's not quite ready just yet. It's an interesting listen anyway.
IMHO the Club are going to purposefully talk him down to diminish the weight of expectation.

The successor to Coops is going to be marked hard by the media and public....so best to lower expectations on him from an early stage.

I have very little doubt that the Club see Croft as the long term replacement at 7....subject to his continued development trajectory ...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:I think we can all agree that if we could have any half/five eighth on the market it would be Kieran Foran?.
No. I can't agree with that.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm Spirit wrote:
Danger D wrote:Have a listen to the latest Fox Sports Market Watch NRL podcast. Frank Ponissi is a guest on the show and they talk about all the options for Storm in the wake of Cooper's decision.Sounds like the club is set on having Croft in the halves for the future but feel he's not quite ready just yet. It's an interesting listen anyway.
IMHO the Club are going to purposefully talk him down to diminish the weight of expectation.

The successor to Coops is going to be marked hard by the media and public....so best to lower expectations on him from an early stage.
I think you're exactly right about this. The guys on the Market Watch podcast said something similar when they had finished talking to Frank. As a member, I thought it was very reassuring to hear that the club had a number of options in play for how they could secure the future. It means they aren't putting too much reliance on one player. Looking around the League, there are a few clubs who I think have really over-committed to one player in particular which leaves them vulnerable should that player not succeed (eg Manly and DCE, Cowboys and Taumalolo, Dragons and Ben Hunt).
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

So the daily telegraph has published an article that Coops has signed a two year deal with foxsports. Am I wrong to think that is him retiring after the end of this year?
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

He already has a deal with Foxsports, it is just an extension. I think he will play again.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple wrote:So the daily telegraph has published an article that Coops has signed a two year deal with foxsports. Am I wrong to think that is him retiring after the end of this year?
Not necessarily. It's not unusual for current players to be contracted to a to network. That's not to say there's no chance he'll retire which I think the majority of us do, but him signing for Fox sports isnt really a definitive sign he'll hang them up IMO
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks for the heads up. That Slater decision will play huge ramifications into what we do with out spine moving forward.
Rina
Squall
Squall

I'm really sad to see Cooper leave. He's been a huge part of the storm identity and as much as it'll sting to watch him play elsewhere I wish him well.

For the future: I'd rather us support those who are here and developing rather than poach from elsewhere. Look what happens at our club when we show people a little faith. Munster to me excels at fullback and is Billy's replacement. I would look at Jacks and Croft for our new halves combo.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

OK I'm going to throw this out there, but does anyone think that moving Smith to 7 could be an option? Then going out and finding a new 9? Perhaps Brandon Smith?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would like us to sign a couple of established lower grade halves as cover - not sure who's out there exactly but I've heard good things about Mason Lino and Shaun Nona might be lured back if there's a fg spot in the offing.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I just hope we can re-sign Bellyache for the next 40 years lol
storminghome
Squall
Squall

I think Cronk should retire now or be dropped. We need to blood a new halfback now
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lucas wrote:OK I'm going to throw this out there, but does anyone think that moving Smith to 7 could be an option? Then going out and finding a new 9? Perhaps Brandon Smith?
I don't think moving Cam is a good idea. He offers so much more out of the hooking role than he would behind the line at 7. He already organises forwards and takes kicks in play. I recall trying him at 5/8 many years ago and that was a flop.

With all due respect to Coops and Billy, it's going to be the loss of Cam and Bellyache that will cause the biggest troubles for the club.