Cronk is not retiring for now

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

If we don't end up buying a big name half we'll need to get a cheap but experienced one at the very least to act as a back-up.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Given Widdop has resigned with the Dragons, the remaining halves that are off contract and could be picked up by us:
First graders: Josh Reynolds, Shaun Johnson, Josh McCrone, Tyrone Roberts
Backups: Daniel Mortimer, Shaun Nona, Jeff Robson, Drew Hutchinson, Luke Kelly, Ray Thompson
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Shaun Nona and Luke Lelly already been at Storm.

Josh Reynolds would not fit in to Storm's culture and his is a grub of a player.

Daniel Mortimer did not want to come last time the club went after him.

Shaun Johnson is close to re-signing with the Warriors according to reports.

Jeff Robson is older than Cronk.

Can not see Josh McCrone coming to Storm

That leaves Tyronne Roberts and Ray Thompson and who is Drew Hutchinson
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yup I was thinking pretty much the same glennb. Slim pickings in terms of halves prospects for 2017.
Drew Hutchinson is the guy who was meant to partner Widdop at the Dragons but did his ACL at the start of the year. He's 21 and completely untested but I've heard good things. He's played U20s Origin (NSW), 2014 NYC Halfback of the year and has played for the junior Kangaroos. Might be a handy backup but not going to fix our problems in the short-term.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think we should just go with Croft. Put him on the bench for the rest of the season so he can get a bit of experience in first grade. Next year spine of Slater, Munster, Croft and Smith. If Slater decides to retire, put Munster to fullback with Jacks at 5/8. Use the money to re-sign our off-contract players and add some depth players
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Danger D wrote:Given Widdop has resigned with the Dragons, the remaining halves that are off contract and could be picked up by us:
Backups: Daniel Mortimer, Shaun Nona, Jeff Robson, Drew Hutchinson, Luke Kelly, Ray Thompson
There's also Ata Hingano, could be a good option.
Jarryd Hayne also could play 5/8. I wouldn't take him and I doubt he would come but you never know, if he did come down I'm sure Bellamy would get the best out of him
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hingano would be good but would imagine the Warriors would lock him up now that Foran is leaving.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:Given Widdop has resigned with the Dragons, the remaining halves that are off contract and could be picked up by us:
I wouldn't want Reynolds within pissing distance of Melbourne. Filthy, grubby human. He fits in a the Bullfilth quite nicely.

Johnson? He'd never leave the Warriors and he's way too inconsistent for my liking.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also, with all the movement in the halves market I wouldn't be surprised if Coops doesn't play on in 2018 and settles in to his kooshie media role.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

If Josh Reynolds played for us, it would be the first time and only time I could not bring myself to like a Storm player.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Reynolds has signed for the tigers so that shuts down another club for cronk. Pretty sure hes going to have to retire now as there won't be a club left for him now
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

josh has signed with the tigers apparently 3 mill for 4 years wooooooooooooooo Neville just posted 3 seconds before me
Rina
Squall
Squall

NevilleB wrote:Reynolds has signed for the tigers so that shuts down another club for cronk. Pretty sure hes going to have to retire now as there won't be a club left for him now
I was wondering this myself. Scrolling through zerotackle:

Tigers: Luke Brooks (7 - until end of 2019), Josh Reynolds (6 - until end of 2021)
Bulldogs: Moses Mbye (6 - until end of 2020), looking for a halfback - Foran not confirmed.
Dragons: Gareth Widdop (6 - until end of 2021), Ben Hunt (7 - until end of 2023)
Panthers: Te Maire Martin (6 - until end of 2018), Nathan Cleary ( 7 - end of 2019)
Eels: Mitchell Moses (6 ), Corey Norman (7 - until end of 2019)
Roosters: Luke Keary (6 - until end of 2018), Mitchell Pearce (7 - until end of 2019)
Rabbitohs: Adam Reynolds (7 - until end of 2021), Cody Walker (6 - until end of 2019)
Sharks: James Maloney (6 - until end of 2018), Chad Townsend (6 - until end of 2020)
Sea Eagles: DCE (7 - 2021), Blake Green (6 -end of 2018)
Knights: Brock Lamb (6 - until end of 2018), Trent Hodkinson (end of 2018), Mullen (end of 2018), Kostjasyn (end of 2018 - had no idea Rory left the Cowboys...)

So Bulldogs is still likely, who knows with the Knights and I'm sure teams with cash and no loyalty (or those with club options) would happily dump their half if Coops says hey :lol:

Looking at us - we'll need to re-sign Ryley Jacks who is off contract at the end of the year, we have Brodie Croft until 2019. I wonder who we'll pick...it's tricky because we also have no idea how long we'll have Billy for (and I see Munster as his successor). I've given myself a headache.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm thinking Knights or Rabbitohs and I wouldn't rule out Tigers just yet.
Rabbits could push Walker to fullback and GI to centre and Tigers could use Reynolds as a hooker.
Knights halfback Hodkinson was dropped to reserves so who knows.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It better not be the knights, that is a two hour drive