#ChambersOut

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

brisbanestorm wrote:He is without doubt being unfairly criticized, and being used as a scapegoat when the entire team doesn't perform.

I think people are expecting him to be playing like the best centre in the competition, and have been since his first game back from injury. So when he performs like an average first grade centre, he is getting heavily criticised.

Compare that to Morgan and Blair who perform like average first grade centres week in week out and are lauded for it because frankly, no one expected sfa from them.
Well said mate
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

brisbanestorm wrote:Compare that to Morgan and Blair who perform like average first grade centres week in week out and are lauded for it because frankly, no one expected sfa from them.
100% right there.

I think everyone calling for him to be dropped are foolish. Dropping one of our veterans/leaders is not something Bellamy has ever done.

I should add, it's not like anyone playing in the lower levels is knocking down the door either. Morgan was killing it in the Qcup which is why he was brought in for Blair, who was just doing a serviceable job. Those fringe guys are easy to move up and down like that.
sean
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

brisbanestorm wrote:He is without doubt being unfairly criticized, and being used as a scapegoat when the entire team doesn't perform.

I think people are expecting him to be playing like the best centre in the competition, and have been since his first game back from injury. So when he performs like an average first grade centre, he is getting heavily criticised.

Compare that to Morgan and Blair who perform like average first grade centres week in week out and are lauded for it because frankly, no one expected sfa from them.
My judgement has nothing to do with expectation, purely performance week in week out.

I'm not the biggest fan of Morgan either but I still think he's outperformed Chambers, Blair has as well. Not to mention Curtis Scott, who would do a better job than all of our current centres in my opinion.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

The one time in that match he could of passed to Vunivalu and he decided not to pass when Vunivalu was unmarked was the writing on the wall for me among other bad decisions he made. Sad but that's professional sports for ya.
Chambers is just not at his best right now.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The way I see it Will isn't playing the greatest but he still isn't that much worse than Morgan (who I'm a fan of) and Blair. He just needs to take his game back to the basics and stop trying to create plays out of nothing. The opportunities will come once we've done the hard work up the middle. In the mean time he needs to focus on solid defence and good runs out of dummy half which he is more than capable of.
Morgan was doing really well with our structures because he made a heap of tackles, didn't try to run through the defence (which isn't his strength) and instead gave early ball to Suli while giving him room to work away from the sideline. Will's style is a bit different in that he can run through the defence as well as put in a clever kick every now and then, but he has to wait for the right moment to do so.

#Patience
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

Danger D wrote:The way I see it Will isn't playing the greatest but he still isn't that much worse than Morgan (who I'm a fan of) and Blair. He just needs to take his game back to the basics and stop trying to create plays out of nothing. The opportunities will come once we've done the hard work up the middle. In the mean time he needs to focus on solid defence and good runs out of dummy half which he is more than capable of.
Morgan was doing really well with our structures because he made a heap of tackles, didn't try to run through the defence (which isn't his strength) and instead gave early ball to Suli while giving him room to work away from the sideline. Will's style is a bit different in that he can run through the defence as well as put in a clever kick every now and then, but he has to wait for the right moment to do so.

#Patience
100% agree with you Danger D, I was thinking about it earlier today. Chambers has his muscle memory of what he would do well. But since he's come back from injury he's tried to do everything, literally "everything" by himself which isn't working with someone like Vunivalu who can actually bust tackles once he's got full steam ahead.
Chambers cancels Vunivalu out by delaying the pass at the wrong times or not drawing his man and passing or doing his trademark run which just has Chambers challenging his man on the outside which just cramps Vunivalu and squeezes Vunivalu out of space.
So I don't have all the answers but Chambers does need to go back to basics before knowing when to give it a crack.
Hopefully he mixes his game up against the Sharks and has a stellar game :-)
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Is the answer to move Chambers to the other side? lately his preference seems to be to run left to right which is squeezing Suli.
So maybe put him on the other side - he might create a bit of space for Marika
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'd like to imagine a few people here were eating humble pie tonight.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

brisbanestorm wrote:I'd like to imagine a few people here were eating humble pie tonight.
Not really. There were times he had NFI what he was doing. I will admit that that was his best game since coming back (not saying much though since his others were awful)
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

No humble pie mate, Chambers was far better than other games since coming back, Morgan in my eyes is still ahead of him.
Good on Chambers for doing his best but he still can't put Suli into space.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

This is one of the things that bothers me about many NRL fans. They seem to think people have been proved wrong when the player that had been criticised comes out and plays one good game.

If you short sell a stock at $50 and the price falls to $35 but then rises to $45, you were still right to short sell that stock.
sean
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Inglis#3 wrote:This is one of the things that bothers me about many NRL fans. They seem to think people have been proved wrong when the player that had been criticised comes out and plays one good game.

If you short sell a stock at $50 and the price falls to $35 but then rises to $45, you were still right to short sell that stock.
Pretty much this. Don't get me wrong, I like Chambers and want him to get back to his best but I have no regrets in wanting to drop him.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea, one good game isn't going to change much but that was Chambers at his best last night. He's more like he was last night over his career than the previous 5-6 games. We need him to keep improving to win the premiership, so lets hope he's turned things around.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

brisbanestorm wrote:I'd like to imagine a few people here were eating humble pie tonight.
Why? Regardless of how he played last night that still doesn't change the fact he's been decidedly average by his standards since he returned from injury. Also i bet every single person on here who's criticised him would love him to come out and have a blinder every game he plays because it only helps the team. I've said that on a couple of times here and i'm sure everybody else thinks no different.
sean
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Ice wrote:
Why? Regardless of how he played last night that still doesn't change the fact he's been decidedly average by his standards since he returned from injury. Also i bet every single person on here who's criticised him would love him to come out and have a blinder every game he plays because it only helps the team. I've said that on a couple of times here and i'm sure everybody else thinks no different.
Exactly. What kind of Storm fans are we if we want him to play bad every week?