Round 25 - Storm vs Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Obviously a bit late but at least a place to discuss the game.
Really disappointing effort. The scoreline flattered us.
They killed us in the first half.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Broncos wanted it more and we didnt seem interested. Some unlucky bounces and slips (cooper) and awful reads (chambers running to far at marker). Just poor effort
Kya
Squall
Squall

We were flat, lazy and just scrambling to defend at times.
Broncos defence was outstanding ... But when you are allowed to be in a staggered v formation in defence less than 8 metres, it's not that hard to defend.

Honestly we were pulled into line on every set, they would be lucky to have been onside 50% of the time last night.
We were flat to begin with and never got back into the game, with less than 40% possession in first half, that killed us.

Both wingers were poor and the one night Chambers wants to pass it, is to the opposition.
Cooper had a shocker (credit to Broncos defence who put pressure on him all night) but Green contributed stuff all.

Jmac and NAS were great and personally thought Tohu was just trying his heart out to create something.
Also Munster was desperate as always.
Some unlucky bounces and shocking calls by none other than Ashley Klein.
Would rather this performance now than in two weeks.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

My main issue with Chambers isn't his dislike of passing the ball but rather his poor efforts in defense. Your defensive effort really shows where your head and heart is at.

Disappointing that NAS is set to miss next week through suspension. One of the few players who doesn't need a rest.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Frustrating thing is, much like the Raiders game, is we got ourselves back in the game after a slow start then just like that we make a stupid error or give away a dumb penalty and we let them off.

NAS was so good last night and Bellamy only found a way to give him 26 minutes. I hope that increases in the finals. Think we might miss Proctor on the edges as well.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Kya wrote:We were flat, lazy and just scrambling to defend at times.
Broncos defence was outstanding ... But when you are allowed to be in a staggered v formation in defence less than 8 metres, it's not that hard to defend.

Honestly we were pulled into line on every set, they would be lucky to have been onside 50% of the time last night.
We were flat to begin with and never got back into the game, with less than 40% possession in first half, that killed us.

Both wingers were poor and the one night Chambers wants to pass it, is to the opposition.
Cooper had a shocker (credit to Broncos defence who put pressure on him all night) but Green contributed stuff all.

Jmac and NAS were great and personally thought Tohu was just trying his heart out to create something.
Also Munster was desperate as always.
Some unlucky bounces and shocking calls by none other than Ashley Klein.
Would rather this performance now than in two weeks.

Agreed with your comments about the policing of the defensive lines 100%. Even Gus Gould said he didn't think Thaiday had been on side once during the game.
How disgusted I was when Thaiday was trying to offload and we got penalised for a strip. I think the refs knew they'd made a mistake as at the time they said "we've made our decision". I suspect they may've seen the replay on the big screen. :oops:

When we had the Bronc's pinned inside there ten and Milford? deliberately threw the ball into our player lying on the ground (with hands over his head) was pretty low, outside the spirit of the game but totally legitimate, something I'm surprised teams don't do more of. (Anyone have their ears on, what did Cam say that earned the Broncos and extra ten metres?) If you want to play dirty pool with actions like that, next time we have a scrum 10 metres out, feed the ball and hold it under the locks foot, see how many you can catch offside. You'd only need to do it a few times to get the defence second guessing when they can jump the gun to rush up. (How about a pushover try whilst forwards are standing in the back line - or are they not allowed to push in the scrums any more?)

Cannot agree with the comments about Cronk and Green. Cronk, compared to his usual standards may've not had a huge influence on the match but standing 15 metres back on 5th tackles and putting up bombs wasn't exactly giving much to the team. (Did he train with the team this week or was he still being 'rested'?) Green looked dangerous every time he took the line on. Yes he spilled it once, but then so did everyone's beloved MK5 (which directly led to a Bronc's try)

Last Brisbane try of the first half, can anybody explain why our defenders stood on the line and waited for the attack to come to them? (I know, we did that for the whole of the game, but on your own goal line, you've got to move up)

Yes, Chambers passing it to the opposition, wtf? Must've got a call from one of his QLD mates.

Was it my imagination or was NAS not on for very long?

You've lauded Tohu, I wasn't so convinced, of our starters I think K. Brom was the shining light.

Am I the only one who doesn't like seeing Suli and Munster taking the ball up? Munster, yes he's unbelievable, rugged and tough but let's not kill him just yet.

Mightily annoyed with the effort shown tonight. It was obvious from Thaiday's first hit up with the ball being moved laterally we were in trouble. I don't think it's any secret (well it isn't now) that we don't play well against teams that play without structure.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Thought cam had an average game too. There were a couple of times he was no where near dummy half for consecutive sets and there we couldn't get consistency with our go forward.
Nas was fantastic the few times he got the ball and i agree with others that he needed more game time.
We were repeatedly going out wide early in the sets and then trying to straighten up, but their (offside) defence kept rushing in and shut down whatever we were trying to do.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Bullucked
NAS was only on 26 mins, (club felt they brought him back too early from injury, was dropped from raiders game to get form in qcup but hurt his back and missed anyway and was than put back in for Manly game with aim to slowly build minutes for finals).

KBrom is our most improved player this year without a doubt and was good again Friday.
I said Tohu tried his heart out, which he does every week. He is one of our most consistent performers but isn't flashy but in my opinion I thought he was a solid contributer.

Cronk did have a shocker by his standards and we can disagree on Green (who I am generally in favour of but I thought needed to create more when Coop and Cam were both getting shut down).

Literally all Cam said was "where is his chest at? Do the maths." (And I think? he pointed at his head (like are you stupid?)

Look no doubt Broncos thoroughly outplayed us which was exacerbated by poor officiating and some bad bounces of the ball.
But attitude played a big part in our loss. Reverting back to 2015 with slow starts and we were never going to get any favours with Klein reffing.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cooper had a bad game cause Tara was in Perth all week hahahha (sorry)
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It was indeed and awful night, and has been a bad weekend with all the other contenders winning. When I read NAS has been charged I felt very morose.
HOWEVER We are still on top, so all is not lost!

Does anyone know if KP is likely to be ok next week ?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Original report was Proctor would only miss a week but we've seen how the Storm deal with injuries before. But I will say I bet they were just being overly cautious with him and he'll be back this weekend.
Monsoon
Monsoon

It's an interesting situation in the final week, if we lose to Cronulla it's guaranteed we play Canberra in Melbourne in week one of the finals, if we beat Cronulla its most likely going to be a game vs the Cowboys, now I know the Minor Premiership is nice to win and all but other their current injury problems would we be better off strategically losing and getting the Raiders in week 1? I'm not too keen on playing the Cowboys at the moment they are red hot and unlike Canberra have big game experience as we saw in the prelim last year, thoughts?
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

While i'd probably prefer the Raiders in week 1 there's no way i want to lose this week to get them. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the MP either because we all know that means jack shit when it comes to winning the comp. It's all about momentum and we don't want to be going into week 1 with 2 losses under out belt whether it was a strategic loss or not.

That being said i'd be very very surprised if Bellyache or Cam, Coops etc would ever go down the strategic loss route so i can't see it happening. I personally would love to see us come out and smash the Sharks this week with one of our near flawless performances we're capable of. Even more so after such a disappointing loss to the Donkeys, it'll just be good to get our groove back and head into week 1 with confidence.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Agree play to win. We need our mojo back. As a great film character ( Dennis Denuto ) once said , it's all about the vibe, and ours would not be great if we finish LWLL.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Both will be tough matches so I'm not really concerned with who it is. Just want us to perform better than what we have the last month and the rest will sort itself out.