Round 23 - Raiders vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well this game was awful to watch.Every week teams save themselves when they play Storm and play out of their skins. Everytime we have a chance to consolidate top spot we blow it, it has happened a few times now that is why I was worried about last nights game.
I would like to see Will pass the ball more but he always goes down with it whereas Morgan passed it to Vunivalu.I predict that he won`t score anymore tries this season.
Storm will be firing on all cylinders next week and they will get the job done on a fired up moanly side.
The following we we will play a fired up broncos and the last week we will play a fired up sharks team.
WE WILL BE READY.....We aren`t limping into the finals this season like the last couple of seasons WE ARE MARCHING
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

i would have Morgan over Hampton every day of the week.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't think you can really compare dropping our leaders with dropping Chambers. Our leaders are just that, leaders and our main playmakers who run the whole show while Chambers is just a centre who are much more easily replaced than a spine player. Not to mention the blokes we're talking about are some of the best to ever lace a boot.

It's not like when Cam or Coops have been down on form we've had blokes the equivalent of them to come in and take over without skipping a beat, though in the Chambers case we do have a bloke who can come in and most likely would add more to the side based on current form.

I know Will has been a very good player for us, I can't say that enough but past deeds mean jack shit in the present and there has to come a time where form/what's best for the team takes over from sentimentality, especially with the finals just around the corner. Of course this is just my opinion.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

And mine too.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:I know Will has been a very good player for us, I can't say that enough but past deeds mean jack shit in the present and there has to come a time where form/what's best for the team takes over from sentimentality, especially with the finals just around the corner. Of course this is just my opinion.
I'm perfectly fine with this stance. *cough* Munster >>> Slater *cough*. It just rarely happens when you have experienced players coming back from injury. The playing group would not be ok with it either.

In reality, Chambers' bad form still hasn't flat out cost us a game. Unless that ever happens on a regular basis, Bellamy isn't going to drop him.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was clearly talking about over their entire careers, not just since Bill has been out. Besides, he's out because of injury not bad form so that point is irrelevant anyway.

Yes, Bill has had low form patches in his career form wise but we didn't have Munster or anyone else of his calibre to come in for him then to take over so my point still stands.

As for Chambers' form not costing us a game I never once said not implied it did. Though it hasn't cost us a game he also hasn't created any meaningful scoring opportunities either which is by and large his job.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Slater/Munster discussion is relevant when talking about a player coming in to replace a leader/veteran. Some will point to what Slater has done in the past.

Never said you did imply Chambers' form is costing us games. Just saying it's something relevant to say because he's isn't doing anything to warrant being dropped for a lesser player.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

As i've mentioned, you said something along the lines of when were one of our leaders dropped to QLD Cup due to poor form and that's the only thing only thing i was basing my opinion on, poor form and not injury. Slater wasn't dropped for poor form, he's out through injury and Munster stepped. Of course i was well aware and didn't forget Munster stepping in for Slater because he's done a hell of a job, but once again we're talking about poor form and not injury. If you want to discuss injury then that's an entirely different thing hence why i said it was irrelevant to the current topic.

Anyway this is just going around in circles now, you know my opinion and i know yours. All it comes down to for me is whoever is in the team in any given position i just want them to contribute to help us win and if they aren't then bring someone in who will. I'm sure you'll admit you've had your fair share of criticism when it comes to certain players over the years and we're just doing the same.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Kettles wrote:And mine too.
And mine also
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I believe the 2nd tier cap question is relevant. Of the top of my head we have had Scott (2 games), Morgan (6 games), Griffin? (1 game), White? (3 games), Vunivalu (15 games). I am all but certain that Suli would be 2nd tier this year as a previously untried talent and it may be that they've worked out that we can only continue to play him if we don't play any others off the 2nd tier.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Obviously our attack was impotent and our forwards completely outmatched in this one... Our bench always looked to be lacking spark when our two impact players were not included.

I haven't lost complete hope though... Facebook kindly reminded me today that on this day in 2012, I firmly put a red line through Melbourne for the 2012 season.
HaliStorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I think many on here were predicting a hard couple of games where we may lose or not look as sharp as previously. It sounds like it's expected according to Phil Gould article -
For the Sharks and the Storm, this little period of indifferent form could have been predicted given how far ahead of the pack they were in the race towards the minor premiership.
I would say both clubs have taken the opportunity available to them because they are so well placed on the premiership ladder to introduce a heavy phase of training to steal them for the semi-finals in a few weeks. This is normal practice. It can make them seem a little flat in the short term, in exchange for long-term benefits. I would anticipate them tapering their training load before the last premiership game so they are fresh and hard fit for the September play-offs.
I suspect the Manly game could also be difficult for us, just hope we can turn it back on (which I'm predicting will be the Bronco's match).

Keep the faith. GO STORM!!!!!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

In the AFL players are regularly and routinely brought back from injury through the magoos yet it doesn't seem to happen in Rugby League. For those that have been paying more attention than me is this common RL or just Melbourne Storm?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I missed the game still haven't seen it. lets move on. they cant play that bad again they never do
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I just rewatched the game and I don't think the boys actually played that badly, it's just the Raiders came with a better attitude and wanted the win more. A few things didn't click in executing attacking plays but at least part of that can be down to the Raiders excellent defence and control of the ruck. If we played like that against most other teams in the competition we would have still come away with the win, but the Raiders are the form team at the moment so we shouldn't feel too bad about it.