Tohu Harris

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I know I'm not the only one who has been really impressed with him over the past 18 months. He is rapidly moving towards being an elite player.

The question I pose here is where does he sit in terms of all time Storm players in two categories: Second Rowers and Utilities?

I think he is very close to being third behind Hoffman and Kearney for second rowers. The other one I'd throw in is David Kidwell.

As far as utilities go, we have had Matt Geyer, Ryan Hinchcliffe and Danny Williams, all very different types who covered many positions coming off the bench. Tohu Harris is doing the same role but from the starting side and I would go so far as to suggest that he would make a best ever team on the bench as Geyer probably starts.

Tohu's ability to play Centre, Five Eighth, Prop, Second Row and Lock (Could possibly do hooker too) is just amazing.

I don't know if the club will name a 20 year team next year or not, but, I'd have him on my bench.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Great thread. I have been pushing Tohu's barrow for a long time now. I just love the way he goes about his business.

- Outstanding defensively.
- Puts in effort when others might slack off (chases from the inside)
- Strong with ball in hand and grabs metres after contact.
- Rarely dominated in a tackle.
- Plays the 80 minutes with ease.
- Doesn't give away stupid penalties.
- And has excellent decision making.

I doubt there is another second rower that could be shifted around so often, forced into centre and do it so competently. Tohu is a huge guy - not the quickest, but just doesn't get beaten by career centres. It is quite amazing really.

There is very little variance in Tohu's worst and best games. He is professionally consistent and you know you are always going to get a class act.

From his very first game in first grade (2013 WCC if I remember correctly), you could see that he was destined for a strong career in top flight RL.

Keep it up big man, you are killing it.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You do remember correctly. Only missed one game since by the way. Very durable.
Brian
Squall
Squall

And a guy who is great with the kids at their Saturday junior footy mornings when he is there.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yeah great thread, he is a fantastic player and developing nicely. With the game going the way it is what with more speed and people wanting less interchanges a guy like tohu who covers a lot of positions is very valuable.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The biggest improvement in his game this season has been his ability to get by the first one or two defenders. Can tell he's gotten stronger and his footwork has improved. He's really punishing the defensive line when he runs. He couldn't do that 12 months ago. The guy is also rock on that left edge.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I think he has been wonderful this year. Have to admit KP has been playing well also
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah Proctor really stood up yesterday. Loved his hit on Hunt coming out of the line.
Back on topic, I use to think Tohu didnt offer much but he's made me eat my words big time.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Is he a chance for player of the year? I would think that Jesse Bromwich is the man to catch, but, Tohu could give him a run. No second rower, centre or even five eighth has ever won our player of the year award by the way.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think he'd be a good chance for player of the year if it weren't for the amazing consistency that Jesse brings to our club every week. Our position on the ladder is pretty much the doing of our forward pack who have been really consistent this year.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Honestly, Hoffman is the ultimate clubman but I think when it comes down to skill set, development and general on field performance - Harris ranks above him.

Top back row rankings definitely go
1. Kearny
2. Harris

The rest you can decide.

I've never seen a more professional, humble and dedicated player at such a young age. He does all the shit jobs like filling in at 5/8 and Center with such ease. He could play 80 minutes and put in a MoM performance. Harris and Jesse are 2 keys to our forward "big 3" - debate on the final piece - I don't think KP is quite on their level.

All in all it seems Harris respects the game, buys into the storm culture and does his job at an extremely high level
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

3rd member of big 3 is Finucane surely. 100mts and 35 tackles every week. Debate over.

Interesting case you make about him being number 2 back rower though Nacho, would I take it that your all time forward pack would then be:

8.J.Bromwich
9.Smith
10.Kearns
11.Harris
12.Kearney
13.Johnson

I think he has to do more before toppling Hoffy myself.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Adam Blair was really good for a few years too.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So how do we rank them?

I'd go with:

1.Kearney
2.Hoffman
3.Harris
4.Kidwell
5.Manu
6.Proctor (Gets the nod for longevity over Blair)
7.Blair
8.Crocker (Would rank higher if he'd played more)
9.Marquet
10.G.Turner