The Play Book

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

After reading this comment from the Cowboys match Despite the conditions, the attack is still an issue. 5th tackle options close to the line were not good to say the least. (and mulling over a very similar topic for a long time) I've decided to put pen to paper (so to speak) and see if we can come up with some different plays and try to bring a bit of creativity.

The previous game against the Knights (I know, don't go there!) we're playing the ball 5 metres out, Cameron Smith bends down to pick up the ball from dummy half, about 15 metres out, on one side we have J Bromwich, on the other side we have J Maclean (I think) both sauntering up as if they're going to receive the ball, but not actually being anywhere near to being in position to actually and believably receive the ball. The ball is always spread out wide to Cronk or Green for a well over-worked spread or wrap-around play that all defences are fully aware of and awake to. Is there a reason why, with the size of these two big boppers we don't give them a crash ball? Hitting the line flat out from 5 metres out has got to be pretty hard to stop. Sure timing can be an isuue but nothing that can't be sorted at training.
Thoughts / ideas (in the hope that someone else may be reading these posts)
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Kudos to you for starting an interesting discussion.

Here's some set plays I've got off the top of my head.

1. Get Cronk on the right of the play the ball with Jesse Bromwich on the left. Instead of the dummy-half feeding Cronk the ball it goes left to Bromwich who feeds it inside to Hinchcliffe running from deep at pace like a fullback.

2. Green on the left, Cronk on the right (about three players out) with Munster at first receiver. Cronk stands really deep and Munster utilises a low, sweeping, grubber kick in the in-goal for the halfback to chase.

3. Utilise Proctor and Harris on the same side with Cronk wrapping around Proctor and feeding Harris running close to the opposition centre/ winger's channel.

4. Fake the dummy half. Smith stands, looks up and gets ready to make a surge up field from the play-the-ball but instead he steps over and the ball and sweeps to the right while Slater dashes in and breaks to the left taking possession.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like the play the Roosters use with 2 backrowers running side by side at the line with Pearce or Maloney delivering a short ball to either. This draws in the defense and leaves the fullback free out back.
We have Jesse or Jordy who can run alongside Proctor or NAS to make it happen. I don't think Tohu has the speed for this play.
Another I'd like is sweep play left and Marika cutting back inside like we use to do with Inglis.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

I just hope they have some sets designed for getting them a shot at a feild goal incase they are to go to Golden-Point.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I reckon Tohu would be faster than KP - I remember seeing him in open space in the 20s and he was surprisingly quick for such a big human.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Watching the first final I've noticed something appropriate to this thread. When we've taken the ball up, drawn in two or three (or more) into the tackle and we manage to get the offload away we need to advance the ball quickly down the field as close as possible to that point rather than spreading it. The gaps are where play had broken down, not out wide where the defence is already set.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We are persisting with this backline play where we spread it and drop it. Doesn't seem to be working.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Why not have two of the big boppers running almost side by side, the wider of the two maybe a metre in front of the other and let the ball player hit either on the chest. The defence is then asked BIG questions as to which to tackle. (NOT THE BLOODY ONE OUT RUNNING WE PERSIST WITH)
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote:Why not have two of the big boppers running almost side by side, the wider of the two maybe a metre in front of the other and let the ball player hit either on the chest. The defence is then asked BIG questions as to which to tackle. (NOT THE BLOODY ONE OUT RUNNING WE PERSIST WITH)
This is what I mentioned earlier.
I have seen Jordy and Jesse out wide in the last couple games. Be nice to have Adam Blairs skillset
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Oops, sorry Bula. This is something I've been banging on about for years.