The question I never thought I'd ask:

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storm77
Squall
Squall

Is CM a more gifted football player then BS.
Not as an athlete because Billy is a freak but in terms of just pure football talent.
I ask because the thing I have always thought about Billy is that as iconic as he is and as awesome as his defense is I sometimes think so much of his greatness is based on athleticism more then having a high football IQ or particularly great natural football skills.
When I watch CM I feel like he is just a great natural football player.
Honestly while I love Billy like everyone else I would really rather just keep CM at fullback from this point forward and move on as a team.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

To answer your question, at this point in their careers Cameron yes. Cameron isn't gifted athletically as Slater therefore has had to play with a bit more intelligence his whole football life, similar to Matt Moylan.
But let's not forget how good Billy was/is and how he's changed the fullback position. We're talking about one of the greats in the game. 2-3 years ago we wouldn't be having this conversation.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

No, I don't think so. Remember that Eddie is running the lines and playing the role that Billy created.
He's bigger and probably stronger than Bill is now, never mind then, and faster over the 100 (although at the same age Billy was quicker off the mark).
Just watch some video of 2003 and see the skinny little kid who made his mark less by being a superb athlete than by being smarter than the average bear. He didn't run into holes as much as run to where the holes were going to be; his ability to read a defence and react to what they were about to do was phenomenal.
Bill has one of the best football brains going around, and his ability to direct his team's defence has been a huge part of Storm's ongoing success.
Bill changed the way fullbacks play. And - all kudos to him - he is teaching Munster how to be as good as him.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

And for those who don't remember so clearly;
Billy's first
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

It's just age, Billy to me has still got it, his side-step at speed, ability to change pace from reading in defence or reading on line breaks to support is second to none. But when age starts to catch up, the younger player will have a few things up their sleeve and the older player will have adjusted their play to still be a great player in Billy's case.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
Crooner
Squall
Squall

CM is doing a great job. Is he as good as Billy....No Way.
Do we drop Billy and put the kid in...No way.
What people don't consider is what Billy does off the ball, he has no pier in this regard.
Do you drop a player that would still rate in the top 10 in the world.
Seriously!!!!!!!!
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC wrote:No, I don't think so. Remember that Eddie is running the lines and playing the role that Billy created.
He's bigger and probably stronger than Bill is now, never mind then, and faster over the 100 (although at the same age Billy was quicker off the mark).
Just watch some video of 2003 and see the skinny little kid who made his mark less by being a superb athlete than by being smarter than the average bear. He didn't run into holes as much as run to where the holes were going to be; his ability to read a defence and react to what they were about to do was phenomenal.
Bill has one of the best football brains going around, and his ability to direct his team's defence has been a huge part of Storm's ongoing success.
Bill changed the way fullbacks play. And - all kudos to him - he is teaching Munster how to be as good as him.
Well put. Couldn't agree more. Bill still has so much to offer the game of RL just from that experienced football brain of his. The amount of work he does off the ball is totally underrated. He'll still have a lot to contribute after he's retired from playing. Apart from Cooper, I doubt there would be anyone at the club (or in the game even) who works as hard on their craft as Billy. I'd like to see him keep the number 1 jersey for at least another year and have the brilliant CM learn as much from him as possible before taking the reigns in another year or so.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like them both
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can see Munster forcing Slater to the centres tbh.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

He'd be the smallest centre in the game then, and edge running monsters like Klemer would destroy him.
The great thing about Bill is his vision and positional play. Won't do us a lot of good if he's being smashed in the centres.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

He did start there. .. but I'd say he'll most likely play fullback. ... though putting number 6 on his back wouldn't be out of the question. Regardless of where Billy plays, Munster has to be in the team.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I sincerely doubt Billy will play anywhere except for fullback for a long list of reasons. One major reason - Injuries are a concern as he gets older and I don't see us throwing him in the frontline to defend.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Muster has been playing great for us... but Billy is still the best fullback in the game, and was until he was injured by Manu.

Bill is and will be fullback next year unless injured
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I can see a Miniciello/Tuivasa-Sheck fullback-wing style arrangement happening.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

KingHoweofIsrael wrote:He did start there...
He nominally started all of five or six games there in Robbie Ross' final injury riddled season.
And for most of those he spent the predominance of the game actually playing at fullback.