Rd 15 vs Titans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Molly
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

blazza18 wrote:Felt like we should have won that one.

Hampton was great and should be Widdop's replacement. He just looks dangerous and I'd love to see what he can do with Cooper and Bill. Bellamy will go with the safe option no doubt though.
Agreed. We were given nothing by the refs, 6-2 count and the Junior Moors report, I couldnt even see the contact. Zillman milking the penalty was embarassing. Off side play and the number of unpenalised high shots really makes you boil, the penalty for the goal to go 8-6 as well was just inconsistent with everything that had happened before.

Also, what has happened to Foxsports showing replays of any incindent? Hard to tell what has happened most of the time.

Anyhow, very proud of the team tonight and you can cross off the Titans as any threat. We are in good shape based on tonights performance. Hampton at pivot looks good and perhaps worth perservering, however Bobby is not a bad option either with Junior Sau coming back into the centres.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Good game could have gone either way, refs gave them every leg-up possible. I think that could be widdops last game with us, can be a four month injury at worst. I think they should give Hampton a shot next week with origin boys back. He deserves another shot after that debut. Liked his try saving tackle too. I also liked Mitch garbutt's defence. Ps. How's bunniesman on LU game forum. What a wanker. I can see souths winning minor premiership, and all of Sydney going mad, then us pulling their pants down in the grand final. Will be sweet times indeed.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The last thing we need is for Blair to move to 5/8th next week lol :(

Lets hope Bellamy surprises us all by naming Hampton but I can't see him not naming Finch unfortunately.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Very disappointed in Finch's kicking game - there wasn't one kick that was first grade worthy. Even Blair's kicking game was better... hell, even Ryles' kick got us a line drop out!

If that's what we have to look forward to from him in the coming weeks (and beyond possibly), please let someone else kick the damn ball...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

@TripleM_NRL: "He won't play again this year, and that's the best case scenario" – Craig Bellamy on Triple M re Gareth Widdop's injury #NRLgldmel
lima lima lima duck I feel sorry for Gaz.

Unleash the future. Unleash Hampton.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Insomniac wrote:Very disappointed in Finch's kicking game - there wasn't one kick that was first grade worthy. Even Blair's kicking game was better... hell, even Ryles' kick got us a line drop out!

If that's what we have to look forward to from him in the coming weeks (and beyond possibly), please let someone else kick the damn ball...
Most of the kicking duties were performed by Widdop. It is his woeful kicks that go out into touch or beyond the in goal. Finch will be better at 5/8 than he has at halfback. He's done a good job playing 2 NRL games out of position in Coops' absence. Don't blame him for the mistakes of others.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:
Insomniac wrote:Very disappointed in Finch's kicking game - there wasn't one kick that was first grade worthy. Even Blair's kicking game was better... hell, even Ryles' kick got us a line drop out!

Most of the kicking duties were performed by Widdop. It is his woeful kicks that go out into touch or beyond the in goal. Finch will be better at 5/8 than he has at halfback. He's done a good job playing 2 NRL games out of position in Coops' absence. Don't blame him for the mistakes of others.
What ????? The halves these days are exactly the same. Only thing different is Finch will play second fiddle to Cronk. He looks slow though which is a massive concern and his kicking games in both games have been well below par. Who Bellamy names to replace Widdop with could make or break our season. Big call either way.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

at the game the last tackle options were very bad!! but the titans seemed to leave the line early to put pressure one and get away with it, mainly bailey, and he is not quick enough to run 15m while the ball is passed 10m.

we lost our way after widdop went down, it was right in front of me. not good for the boy.

zillman should be reported for acting not moors. the replays looked like there was no contact, did anyone see contact?
Monsoon
Monsoon

Zillman was diving like the Australian Dollar, disgraceful call. The penalty for the 2 points against Norrie/Ryles was a joke aswell, was a clean tackle and movement.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

storming wrote:at the game the last tackle options were very bad!! but the titans seemed to leave the line early to put pressure one and get away with it, mainly bailey, and he is not quick enough to run 15m while the ball is passed 10m.

we lost our way after widdop went down, it was right in front of me. not good for the boy.

zillman should be reported for acting not moors. the replays looked like there was no contact, did anyone see contact?
na there was no contact that i could see but in the post presser zillman was claiming it knocked him out for a couple of seconds.. if that knocked him out i would hate to see what would happened to him if he got into a fight..
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Great effort by the boys all things considered.

Finchy will be far better at 5/8 and has the experience and nous to complement Coopers game.

I fear that Hampton or McGahan might get even more exposed by opposition attacks due to lack of FG experience compared to the "minor" negative attributes that Finchy might bring to the team (just my opinion).

The strong defence that Finchy brings to the line will also be a massive benefit in the run to the Finals.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

hampton can take a hit too! i seen 3 or 4 times idris, james or taylor really hit him hard and he got up straight away and played the ball. some did seem rough/high
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storming wrote:hampton can take a hit too! i seen 3 or 4 times idris, james or taylor really hit him hard and he got up straight away and played the ball. some did seem rough/high
Yep Storming...I've got no doubt that Ben can take a hit or 2....but when they are coming thick and fast at the pointy end of the season, it might be Finchy's 250 games of experience and 14 pre-seasons that wins a game for Storm.

I know it is all speculative...but if Ben slips off a tackle at a crucial time in a crucial game, will he still have the mental strength to get up and keep going without letting it affect him. I don't know, but presumably the coaching staff know him so well that they exactly how he ticks.

Maybe after more FG experience he might, definitely next year he will probably be first choice 5/8, but I reckon Bellyache will go with Finchy atm for obvious...and in my opinion....fairly good reason (until proven wrong ...let's hope not !!!!)
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

with gaz out finchy will be first choice. he works well with coops, and goes better when he is not the chief playmaker.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Havent posted here in a while but after that game I was absolutely devastated for Widdop. I fractured my femur last year in a very similar way to how he popped his hip tonight and seeing his reaction brought on some painful memories. Unfortunately for him he was just starting to run into some good form and I thought he was handling the pressure tonight very well (to be honest much better than Finch). Maybe with Cronk back Finch will play much better however he did not step up as much as I thought he would.

On another note Chambers was fantastic tonight, his work in both tries was great. Hopefully he gets a chance for Queensland soon, he deserves it for sure.