Round 5 - Tigers vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I worry about Brodies mental state if he's dropped. It could absolutely destroy him.
We need Cam Smith at halfback and Brandon at hooker. Something needs to change.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

Storm have a real issue with their game plans.
They haven't got many questions to ask the opposing defence.
If they can sort out the way they are taking the ball to the defensive lines in attack and get that timing right with their hole runners that can be a start in my eyes to seeing some improvements.

So much wrong with our boys it's not funny.
Beginning of 2018 is not Crofts time, time for him to have a Kit Kat. #TeamOlam
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Jacks doesn't do anything good or bad. I understand wanting him in but he doesn't fix what's going on right now. We've only scored one try the last two games. That's on everyone.
I think at this point it's more about putting Croft back to reserve grade and get his game back.
Well hopefully Jacks being there fixes all the other issues then.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Honestly, one of the things I have always (except for one and a half seasons) associated with Melbourne Storm is passion. Even in 2010 when they were playing for nothing but pride.
But this year's team reminds me of nothing so much as the dark ages under Muppet. The players as a group don't look like they want to be here.

Storm wrapped that in ribbons and handed it to Wests on a silver platter.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

blazza18 wrote:
TC wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Jacks doesn't do anything good or bad. I understand wanting him in but he doesn't fix what's going on right now. We've only scored one try the last two games. That's on everyone.
I think at this point it's more about putting Croft back to reserve grade and get his game back.
Well hopefully Jacks being there fixes all the other issues then.
It may not. But staying in first grade and continually bombing is going to hurt Croft worse than a stint in QLD Cup.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This season just hurts... We lost a couple of players sure, but that doesn’t impact on what everyone else offers.

Croft has to spend some time in Q Cup. Has to. And I was one of the Storm fans saying we need to be patient and give him time.

Everything he touched today turned to mud.

Young played how everyone expected.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I do feel like the little thing of Smith looking slower and carrying and injury has been hugely negative for us so far. No idea why Bellamy wont play the other Smith.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote:I worry about Brodies mental state if he's dropped. It could absolutely destroy him.
We need Cam Smith at halfback and Brandon at hooker. Something needs to change.
Not sure Brodie's mental state could be any worse than when / after he left the restart go over his head.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

1999 wrote:Bellamy got it all wrong today, dropping B.Smith who would have revelled in the last 10 minutes here, benching NAS for so long, why carry Stimson to give him 6 minutes at the end of the game? Croft was shit and isn’t up to this level yet, we bombed a few chances to win that game, at 10-4 up Young has an unmarked Suli and dummy’s and bombs a certain try, this team is just playing dumb and selfish and have shown no heart or desire, Cameron Smith gave all he had and no one wanted to go with him.
You hit the nail on the head.
Storm just need to hang tight through these tough times.
But they are not doing themselves any favours.
Team selection from our point of view seems even more clear cut, must be something we are all not privy too.
But "decision making" has to top the list of things to work on, first Suli, than Hoffman and now Tonumaipea not drawing and passing and staying in support.
Let's hope they can take down Newcastle.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don’t think we necessarily have to drop Croft. Yes he is struggling at the moment but I think if we just put Brandon Smith on the bench and when/if Croft starts struggling in games, bring Smith on and move the other Smith out to the halves.

Tigers didn’t win this game, we lost it with 3 main incidents. 1. JACs brainsnap to gift tigers 1st try 2. Crofts brainsnap to gift Tigers possession and field position which led to their 2nd try 3. Young Ts no pass to Suli

Positives to come out of the game, much improved in the penalty department
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Croft doesn't belong anywhere near first grade at the moment - whatever he had last year in his few opportunities in the top grade is well & truly gone. I really don't care who replaces him (Jacks, Smith, Drinkwater, anyone!), but he needs to go.

In regards to the team as a whole, the sporadic laziness in defense and the current lack of concentration (or ability!) in attack is very alarming, and I've seen nothing to indicate that there's been any improvement whatsoever since the start of the season (are these guys even training together?!?).

I will say that Hoffy looked better today, and Suli wasn't as glaringly bad today either. Smith showed glimpses of his usual self in the second half, and Billy & Munster tried hard to create opportunities for us, but then Croft would throw a stupid pass or Kaufusi would knock it on...

Overall though, I have no confidence that we will beat anyone at the moment. It's a good thing we don't lose milestone or back-to-back games! ::)
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Deadpool wrote: Positives to come out of the game, much improved in the penalty department
I don't think that means anything at all. Channel nein have publicly bullied the refs about the number of penalties and the NRL has choked.
After last Friday night's 32 penalties the refs have gone back to their old ways. Ignoring offside unless it's blatant (Hoffman tackle), allowing teams to flop and lie on (most tackles today), and making up for mistakes by evening up - Josh never knocked on, and then three plays later they blew a rubbish forward pass against the Tigpies to make up. Even the touch-the-ball-with-the-foot has gone back to how it was last year. I don't think we were any better than last week, the refs have just stopped policing it.

The NRL showed their hand and tried to get the game under their control. The coaches, but particularly Channel nein pushed back. The NRL blinked first. Greenberg's new order lasted three and a half weeks.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

After 5 rounds we have lost as many games as we did all last season.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

We lost 4 last year. Still 1 to go
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Send Croft back to QLD Cup for a while.

C. SMith to 7. B. Smith to 9.