Test captain Cameron Smith chasing deal to make rugby league

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

supercronk wrote:Being reported that nothing is going to be announced at the Family day today.

What a disgrace. I'm not going now.

Smith is delaying this too long. Show some responsibility
And I was so looking forward to meeting you
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Smith is obviously taking the piss with these negotiations.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Thanks ICe, I knew there was a point I skipped over.
Blazza, I am in agreeance that as the big three age, that we can't continue to just rely on serviceable players around them. However, I can also see the development of players in our current squad and the potential some of them have.
Other clubs do have more threats across the park but we all know that some of those clubs will never have the same scrutiny attached to how they BROUGHT those players, so we will have to develop within and trust in our recruiting and devleopment teams.

Team sports are unique in that it so much about timing and converting potential into ability. If Justin o'neill and Matt Duffie step up (particularly their defence and remain injury free) they become incredibly dangerous. Does Will Chambers take that next step in becoming an elite centre in the top echelon and will Tohu harris continue to progress? Do Jordan Mclean, Garbutt and k Bromwich rise to the challenge of the elite competition now they have a taste of the big time?
Ifs and maybes are the reality that all teams face, essentially all clubs recruit and develop based on potential and ability but it is up to each individual to step up. I don't always agree with some of the recruitments but I do believe that no other club provides a greater environment for players to prosper than ours.

LessStar I don't believe that rugby union is a threat but the propaganda machine that is the media do a wonderful job of placing pressure on the nrl administration and is used effectively as a tool by clubs and officials to enforce strategic changes that are of most benefit to themselves.
I think with the hype and over saturation of SBW and now Benji and Sam Burgess and their decision to deflect has aided the rlpa who have been pushing for a higher marquee allowance. The media has been an effective platform used by players to voice their (manufactured and very much strategically placed) concern of loss of players to rival codes.
I do believe that the NRL are very much looking at overseas model of operations in abid to make the sport more profitable and marketable. It is a two way street, the nrl is pressured to find a way to keep "stars" in the game but will likely also enforce more media access to clubs and players in return thereby ensuring all parties are getting what they want.

Supercronk , really ... You're not even in the top five trolls on this forum. Move on.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The butthurt on assorted Facebook rugby league pages is hilarious. Apparently we are still over the cap.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also on the scrutiny we get for buying players. In my opinion there are only THREE name players that Storm have got from other clubs; Glenn Lazarus (who would nevet have held his place at Brisbane with S. Webcke and P. Civinoceiva breathing down his neck), Stephen Kearney and Michael Crocker (who had to get out of Sydney for the good of his own career and was cast aside so the Chooks could make a play for Anasta).
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sorry... four players. Tawera nikau. Should have been the Churchill medalist on 1999.
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Broncos coach Anthony Griffin scoffing at rumours that Smith is staying with the Storm!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 6821081161
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't think we should count our chickens before anything official is announced. Cronk was playing for every club except Storm according to the media. Then he signed with the Storm. Bellamy was heading to the Dragons and he didn't.

As for people getting their knickers in a knot about Cam not announcing his decision yet. We said we wanted it done by round 1. It is not round 1 yet and is not impacting the team yet. It is not like Orford's negotiations from years ago dragging on for weeks in the middle of season(I know rules were different then with June 30 anti-tampering deadline, but my point is about the timing of negotiations and impact on team).
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

supercronk wrote:Broncos coach Anthony Griffin scoffing at rumours that Smith is staying with the Storm!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 6821081161
move on nothing to see here folks.
one-eyed
Squall
Squall

If i was supercronk i wouldn't turn up either if you were on his case mystormboys, i remember Waldron lol
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

So fans turn up in 40 degree heat and Cam Smith doesn't give them the announcement they wanted to hear.

What a selfish man.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

one-eyed wrote:If i was supercronk i wouldn't turn up either if you were on his case mystormboys, i remember Waldron lol
They were the memories - YOU ARE ONE VERY LUCKY PERSON SUPERCRONK
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I've just worked out who supercronk is....Anthony Griffin,shitting himself up in Brisbane.
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

OK now that the 9's are over and done with perhaps Mr Smith might want to make some sort of announcement....
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

supercronk wrote:OK now that the 9's are over and done with perhaps Mr Smith might want to make some sort of announcement....
Yep, a full season still on his existing contract and he's a jerk for not signing up earlier :roll:

18 months out from end of contract more suited to your armchair contract negotiation ethics? Maybe a full 2 years just to be really respectful... Moronic.