Rd 18 vs Canberra

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

playing like that with the teams we have to play we will be lucky to finish in the top 5

Cowboys Eels Dragons Panthers Titans Broncos Sharks Tigers....we will be lucky to get 4 wins out of that lot
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

STORM MAN wrote:True Cherry. but thinking the storm have been little flat of late.Seem tired or something. Hope the team can find that spark they had at the start of the season for the run into the finals, I'm sure the mighty storm will.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last year you blokes went into the last few rounds flat out

It proved fatal due to becoming flat,even the rest
for the name players against the roosters didnt remedy
this

Your flat at the right time,we looked meh all last year
and look how that turned out....i know its still depressing

You'll be fine when Smith returns,i believe that was the
difference
brewer
Squall
Squall

Www.nrlstats.com

Some of the doomsday folks could do with a look at that site.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
wiganese
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

glennb wrote:We got pulled up for 4 forward passes tonight. I think only two of them were forward. The try in the first high to the Raiders winger was also a forward pass but that was not called.

All the forward passes were called by the central refs, not the touchies. I bet you can not find another game this season where the home team was picked up for that many forward passes. It was a Storm home game, the crowd was not calling for them yet the happen to find them.

Last Sunday the channel nine footy show, (The Roast section) happen to mention that Smith throws a lot of forward passes out of dummy half and never gets picked up for it. The were most likely talking about it in the hope that he got picked up for it in Origin on Wednesday night. But it must of been herad by the refs at NRL because we got picked up on it tonight. I know Smith was not playing, but because the media brought it up, they looked at Storm and we copped it again.
No all the forward passes we got pulled up for where unfortunately genuine,and there were in fact some they missed,NOT counting the 2 they missed by The Raiders that resulted in tries,but having said that,the ref s can not be blamed for last nights balls up, and picking out one or two players to blame would be unfair,although if put to the sword I would say Neilsen and Norrie,and I can't understand why Bellamy waited so long to put Proctor on,I can only assume that he is still carrying a bit of an injury.
A bad effort all round ,not what we have been accustomed to,and a hard pill to swallow,but lets hope it can all be rectified in the next couple of weeks Seems that Cam Smith is our mosy valuable player,that was all too obvious last night,we have managed without Billy to a point but take Cam out and...well THAT
staticash
Squall
Squall

Cam really keeps us composed out there on the field I never noticed it as much until last night we were like a bunch of school kids with no teacher to keep us in line.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
S.W.A.S
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

I know we got thumped and humiliated but it's not a reason to think everything is all of a sudden bleak. We were missing three of our best, including 2/3 of the BIG Three, the best combination to ever play rugby league.

Raiders bet us last season and then after that we went on a winning streak - no reason we ca't do that again, and this time make it go right through to the GF.

It's better to lose at this time of the year than closer to the playoffs, or even during the finals.

Quinn needs to go though, he's a liability, and the opposition know this. He continues to make poor defensive reads and he isn't able to defuse bombs ws he once was.

Norrie and Quinn wrest only retaining their sports in the side because the are two of Bellyache's favourites - cone on Craig, we want a premiership this season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Better to have Cam Smith rested now than him being exhausted for the finals.I think we will go into the finals in a better frame of mind and less tired than last season.I would even say I would prefer to rest Cam and maybe even Coops another week now than later in the season.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brewer I looked at NRL stats site and the thing that stood out to me was that 9 Canberra players made 100 metres and the only Storm player to make 100 metres was Gareth Widdop.

I have been saying for a while I don't know why more teams don't constantly bomb Quinny on the wing because he is quite short and can't jump anymore. Although Quinny has been quite solid as a bench second rower this year. M. Blair has struggled at five eighth and I would prefer Widdop back at five eighth, Duffie at fullback (he was ok there v Tigers) and Sisa Waqa on the wing. I definitely don't want us to rush Billy back if he is not fit. Richie Fa'aoso's inclusion probably is closer after that effort. I don't think we can afford to have Hinchy and Rory in the same side when Cam is back.

Raiders are a big side who offloaded which we always struggle against but our edge defence was deplorable. I said to my son when you go to the Billy's buddies clinic on Monday you can teach the team how to defend.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That is up there with our lose to Parramatta at Colonial in 2001 as our worst home game.
brewer
Squall
Squall

Scooter, I was pointing people to the stats website to try to point out to people on here who is doing the defending. No one made meters last night, but have a look at whose doing all the tackling.

I've been amused by the calls for various players to be dropped on this forum, cause often they are the blokes doing the job needed, Lowrie and Norrie have both enjoyed their fair share of hatred on this forum, and I suspect it has more to do with not having cool hair, not popping flashy offloads, or not being kiwis, than anything else. TBH Ryles has been playing his best footy here, since bellamy got the silly offloads out. No mistakes, solid defense is what Lowrie, Norrie, Ryles are asked to do, and they do it well

Lowrie hinchy and Norrie were the only +30 tacklers, with hinchy at a blinding 47, that's cam smitheque.

Our pack was out muscled last night, but with poor completion, they are required to do more defending, so naturally they are down on meters. Defense is hugely more tiring than attack

If you want to look to issues last night, I would look at the back line.

Also, it was a nothing game for us, origin depleted, against a bottom feeder club playing their GF. It was a poor game, poor attitude, but the few fwd passes to eddrick lee made the score look worse. It was not a good thing for the team, but it's not the end of the world. We are still on top of the ladder, and Bellamy will put a rocket up em this week

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

btw at training the other day while all the boys were doing contact duffie KP gareth and juzzy were training alone with chambers

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

brewer wrote:Scooter, I was pointing people to the stats website to try to point out to people on here who is doing the defending. No one made meters last night, but have a look at whose doing all the tackling.

I've been amused by the calls for various players to be dropped on this forum, cause often they are the blokes doing the job needed, Lowrie and Norrie have both enjoyed their fair share of hatred on this forum, and I suspect it has more to do with not having cool hair, not popping flashy offloads, or not being kiwis, than anything else. TBH Ryles has been playing his best footy here, since bellamy got the silly offloads out. No mistakes, solid defense is what Lowrie, Norrie, Ryles are asked to do, and they do it well

Lowrie hinchy and Norrie were the only +30 tacklers, with hinchy at a blinding 47, that's cam smitheque.

Our pack was out muscled last night, but with poor completion, they are required to do more defending, so naturally they are down on meters. Defense is hugely more tiring than attack

If you want to look to issues last night, I would look at the back line.

Also, it was a nothing game for us, origin depleted, against a bottom feeder club playing their GF. It was a poor game, poor attitude, but the few fwd passes to eddrick lee made the score look worse. It was not a good thing for the team, but it's not the end of the world. We are still on top of the ladder, and Bellamy will put a rocket up em this week

Good points Brewer. This year Lowrie has won me over, he is vastly improved on his efforts in prior two years for the Storm.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Honestly, enough has been said about last nights effort. We just need to suck it up and move on. In fact, there should be no more posts made in this thread, lock it up and file it under "Never To Be Released".

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

People who are calling for norrie to be dropped obviously don't know much about defence. he is about 93% effective this season. One of the top in the league. We need these players on the field. I feel for quinny he had a bad game but so did everybody else. We me never usually lose milestone games and certainly not being thrashed. Our line speed was dismal and we usually lose when it is. Gave them eternity with the ball to make decisions. I say let these guys redeem themselves next week, and if they fail demote a couple back to nsw cup

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Turtle188 wrote:Honestly, enough has been said about last nights effort. We just need to suck it up and move on. In fact, there should be no more posts made in this thread, lock it up and file it under "Never To Be Released".
:lol: If only.

The "sky is falling attitude" of some makes it clear that what happened on Saturday is a rare event & that the team not only didn't fire but also didn't play with any plan or cohesion. Full marks to Canberra,(And their fans) for seizing the moment.

And YES Blair is never going to be a half !
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields