Round 10 - Storm vs Titans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8cbf2d8cf0

Cameron Smith defends tackle that left former teammate Kevin Proctor in tears

MELBOURNE captain Cameron Smith has defended a tackle that left his former teammate Kevin Proctor in tears.
Proctor limped off the field during the second half of Saturday’s game at Suncorp Stadium with an injured groin after the suspect act from his old skipper.

With Proctor being tackled, Smith grabbed his left leg and tried to move the opposition prop around.

But the movement caused Proctor’s legs to split to the extent the action appeared to injure his groin.

He was pictured in tears as he sat on the bench afterwards.

But Smith later said there was no malice in his action, or any intent to injure Proctor.

Just to clarify that I didn’t pull his leg, I didn’t try to pull his leg out,” Smith said.

“Kev is a really good friend of mine. He’s a good friend of everyone at our club, played many games with him, so there’s no chance I’d be going in there trying to injure the bloke.

“Whatever happens out of this game or that tackle I’ve got absolutely no control over. All I can say is I’m not there to try to hurt the bloke.

“I thought I was in a good position to get his leg up and get him on the ground, but it didn’t work that way.

“We had three in the tackle and he ended up in that position, which is unfortunate.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 679e283efd

The high-flying Storm were certainly down on the purple form that we’ve seen in recent weeks, but still managed to win the game 28-14.

That was despite some uncharacteristic errors and a poor completion rate from the reigning premiers.

It was the team’s veterans who were the worst offenders, with Billy Slater and Will Chambers each making two errors, and Cameron Smith one.

They also completed at just 76 per cent and missed 19 tackles — four more than the Titans.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b06ab06b73
Cameron Smith charged for ‘wishbone’ tackle on Kevin Proctor

MELBOURNE skipper Cameron Smith has been charged by the NRL match review committee for his ‘wishbone’ tackle which left Gold Coast forward Kevin Proctor with a groin injury.

Smith has been hit with a grade two dangerous contact charge (other) and will be suspended for one week if he takes the early guilty plea, but could receive two weeks if he fights it and is unsuccessful.

The Storm were hit hard by the match review committee following the game with prop Sam Kasiano also facing a one-week suspension for a grade one dangerous contact charge (head/neck) on Jarrod Wallace.

Josh Addo-Carr and Cameron Munster were also hit with grade one dangerous contact charges (head/neck) but will be free to play Manly next week with early guilty pleas.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How was Proctor not charged for his high shot and the follow up slap to the head he gave f good measure
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Think they'll think long and hard over fighting the charge. The tackle was awkward looking but I don't think there was much to it. The way the years gone so far he'll fight it and end up copping a longer stint on the sideline.

I am bias so *shrugs*.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:How was Proctor not charged for his high shot and the follow up slap to the head he gave f good measure
For the same reason nothing came of the whack to Cam's nuts last week - the other guy wasn't wearing a Storm jersey.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

We are getting some dodgy decisions against us to be honest.

And I think Bellyache needs to make a stand in support of his players.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Have to fight that. Have to.

If lifting a leg like that is illegal - two f*cking weeks illegal - we will be running out of NRL players quickly. MRC missed about 15 identical actions just from our game.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I would most definitely fight that if it was up to me. There is absolutely nothing in it. The fact that this drew a charge but the ball shots last week and the DCE eye gouge didn’t is an absolute disgrace.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:Have to fight that. Have to.

If lifting a leg like that is illegal - two f*cking weeks illegal - we will be running out of NRL players quickly. MRC missed about 15 identical actions just from our game.
I think the issue here, and with all offences that end up being charged is the result dictates the suspension. Head high shots (sliding up and over the shoulder) usually get penalised on field but nothing further happens unless there's an injury. This is a personal hate of mine, the injury shouldn't dictate the suspension (or even the length of it).
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:
1999 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:To be fair to Croft, the team could not hold on to the ball when he played, now sure he played a part in that but the rest of the team wasn’t making it easy for him either. Throw in the fact that 3 of those 5 games were against really good defensive teams in the Tigers and Sharks. Croft may have to come back next week anyway, depending how Jacks pulls up I suppose
I do recall Bellamy saying they will share the role
this year, I know Croft is quality and still very green I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the 7 again, I just think they timing needs to be right, a few solid showing in the QLD cup and his confidence will get back up again, be interesting to see how it plays out.

Neither Croft or Jacks are up to Storm standard and we are going to have to buy a new half back at the end of the year who is proven.

I think your right ...Are we looking at anyone Cameron?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

We always have some irons in the fire as we are still a club of choice for players to come to.

But if we do get a new HB, it will be a designated currently talented player who is already at that level and not aspiring to get there.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -round-10/

Stats that matter - Round 10
melbournestorm.com.au
Sat 12 May 2018

Crunch the numbers from Melbourne's come from behind victory against Gold Coast at Suncorp Stadium.

In the absence of Jesse Bromwich, Melbourne has asked Nelson Asofa-Solomona to stand up and stand up he did on Saturday evening. The New Zealand born big man recorded the most metres gained for his side, helping set the platform for the second half comeback.

Coming into Saturday night's clash Cameron Munster led the competition for line break assists with 12 and it didn't take him long to add to that tally. Assist number 13 for the season was brilliant, sending through Curtis Scott to open the scoring and send Melbourne on their way.

The happy hunting ground continues. Melbourne's victory over the Titans was Storm's 10th win in it's last 11 games at Suncorp Stadium. The rugby league colleseum holds no fear for Craig Bellamy's men whether they make the trip to the venue as the home or away team.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Munster continues his rich run of form. Love watching this kid play.
Finucane was solid as well, always putting his hand up, despite the damage to his rough head.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Neither Croft or Jacks are up to Storm standard and we are going to have to buy a new half back at the end of the year who is proven.

I think your right ...Are we looking at anyone Cameron?
Really???? Croft is a 21 year old kid, who has been the Junior Kangaroos half for the last couple of years, and based on a handful of games we want to get rid of him? We've been spoiled with having the continuity we have had with Cronk, but to expect a transition with no impact is unrealistic for sure. What did everyone think of Cooper when he first came into first grade?? Croft will be a star, he just needs to build his confidence and get used to the speed of first grade.
Jacks is solid, and does his job - which is not a negative comment, but again, he isn't Cronk. That said, Cronk was regiment in playing to a structure... that's not what we have with Croft... which is not a bad thing to see, it's just different to what we're used to

Correction - 20 year old halfback...