Round 3 - Melbourne STORM v Canterbury Bankstown BULLDOGS

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Slater was very good constantly poking his head through the line or breaking it. Having said that, Cronk is probably a bit unlucky not to have his 6th MOM award in a row. He was enormous. His attack, specifically his sharp passing game and pinpoint kicking game were spot on again this week but his defence was even better. Very impressive.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattstormy wrote:Even though others will disagree, Billy did lash his leg out a bit more than he usually does when he kicked the Bulldogs' David Klemmer.
Instinctively bracing himself for being tackled in mid air maybe ?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

"Lash out" is not the correct way to describe it in my opinion. He elevated his leg slightly more than usual but he never made any kind of kicking motion. Leg was extended, Dogs player ran into it whilst trying to tackle him in the air.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

billy call was a DISGRACE!

cooper should've gotten a try unless the player 'obstructed' was inspector gadget!

norrie, fonua and harris really stood up.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Just through on Twitter - Billy has no case to answer - free to play against Broncos:)
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

And comments from Sydney that Billy is a "protected species" in 3... 2... 1.
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Luckily that penalty didn't cost us the game (cost us a try though and hopefully it doesn't affect our percentage at the end of the season).

Rest up lads, you all deserve it.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Slater booting another bloke in the head?

Gee he has some form for kicking blokes in the head
Skandalis,Robertson and now Klemmer? Whos next?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Great news.

Hey now come on Cherry. The Skandalis one was way back in 2006, huge brain snap from Bill and I'm sure he regrets it. Was rightly suspended for 6-7 weeks.

Robertson, well. Hmmmm players do everything they can do to legally stop a player from scoring a try and at the time it wasn't illegal. Was it dangerous ? YES. But he hasn't done a slide tackle like that since it become an illegal tackle. And to even think the slide tackles were done to intentionally injure a player is just a joke.

Now please tell me what those incidents have to do with a players technique of protecting themselves when in mid air ? Instinct takes over when a 120kg human being comes at you while your still in the air I would think.

People's hatred towards Melbourne and their players has become a complete joke.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Oh well, at least Billy has no case to answer for now and is free to play next week. I did think his leap looked a bit different to how he usually does it though, although I'm glad he is not suspended for this one.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I also have to say, I hope Daniel Anderson doesn't become like Bill Harrigan of last year. The video refs are the problem in the Cronk no try, and the field refs have no choice but to go along with what they say. I hope this is sorted out as soon as possible to prevent the farcical decisions from last year.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I didn't get to watch it, but had abc radio on - they made the point that there wasn't a former player in the video ref box, though there has been on occasion....i think thats something that should happen more often. Also, you could actually hear the video refs talking which wasn't meant to happen!

whoever was sitting in front of the box was absolutely giving it to them too which was great to hear :)
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Cherry_Poppins wrote:Slater booting another bloke in the head?

Gee he has some form for kicking blokes in the head
Skandalis,Robertson and now Klemmer? Whos next?
Hopefully you O0
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Scratchy performance last night but we did very well to hold on to record another win against a spirited Bulldogs side. I though Mahe Fonua had his best game in a Storm jersey and I was also tremendously impressed with Harris, Bromwich, Ryles and Widdop.

My take on the Slater penalty is that it was entirely accidental and a penalty would have been an appropriate consequence.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:Scratchy performance last night but we did very well to hold on and notch up another win against a spirited Bulldogs side. I though Mahe Fonua had his best game in a Storm jersey and I was also tremendously impressed with Harris, Bromwich, Ryles and Widdop.

My take on the Slater penalty is that it was entirely accidental and a penalty would have been an appropriate consequence.
if you call beating the Scumdogs after playing in minus 3 temperature in Leeds, travelling back to train in a heat wave...playing a game in a 35 degree sauna against St Merge.....travelling the whole eastern seaboard to play in 100% humidity and 30 degree heat in Townsville against a massive forward pack and then returning to Melbourne to play last years Grand Finalists in a 5 day turnaround, scratchy...then yes...I suppose you could say it was a scratchy win.

Me...I call it being the best Rugby League team of the last 20 years.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time