Storm vs Sharks

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

:'( Man, I miss Jeremy Smith playing for us
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well our attack was far too lateral today. You could tell we were missing Sika and Kevin on the edges. Hoffman, Lowrie & Hinchy is just a work-horse backrow. We were due for a lost so it's not the end of the world obviously. Must give credit to Slater though, he could hardly move yesterday was that sick but still played - that's why we love 'Billy The Kid.'
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

We played average and got beat.

I'm not too upset - you can't play to our level for too long without an inevitable off day.

We could have won that game but Cronk was off, and so too was our energy across the board. 9 and 1 is still awesome and we get a useful week off that's welcomed.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Question (I missed the ref's answer to Cammy who asked this question on the ground):

If The Sharks player is no chance in hell of scoring the try then why is it a professional foul resulting in Billy being sinbinned?

Especially considering Billy and Coops frequently are fouled in chasing kicks yet never does the opposing player get penalised, let alone sinbinned, for their infringements.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

10 mins to go.. sharks had made 8 interchanges and Storm only 6..
Quinn comes on with 8 mins to go is abit pointless.. he should have come on earlier then that.
Ryles goes off at 21 mins and comes back on in the last 10..

The boys looked tired out there.. and with those interchange stats.. its no wonder.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

simo wrote:10 mins to go.. sharks had made 8 interchanges and Storm only 6..
Quinn comes on with 8 mins to go is abit pointless.. he should have come on earlier then that.
Ryles goes off at 21 mins and comes back on in the last 10..

The boys looked tired out there.. and with those interchange stats.. its no wonder.
thats the one i noticed! really needed him out there, he was going well
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It had been coming but were still 9-1.

Seems the Sharks had studied well on what had been working for us the previous months and other teams will follow what they did.

Expect some tweaks to the offence once SOO period is over.
stormfan2010
Squall
Squall

I dont understand having both quinn and rory on the bench at the same time ?
Also bringing quinn on so late was a waste . Duffie seems quiet .
We didnt really do anything creative like cronks cross field kicks for the wingers , no real chips untill to late . Nothing to keep them guessing , i cant wait till origin is over and were back to full strength.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't like having both Rory and Quinny on the bench means our bench is too small. Also don't think Lowe offers a lot, although surprised to see he only played 14 minutes. I think that Garbutt or if they wanted experience Greenfield would be a better option than Lowe.

Quinny played 25 minutes, so I assume he was on for the last 25 minutes (not 8 minutes as Simo suggested) because I don't remember him coming on and then off and back on again.

I was a little disappointed with how we played. Our attack looked a little stilted. But we can't win every week and we could have still won the match in the last minute. If you had have offered 9 wins and 1 loss at start of season everyone would have taken it.

Hopefully, Vave and Proctor hurry back and hopefully Origin boys survive the Origin period. I wouldn't mind seeing guys like Garbutt, Kenny B and Greenfield get given a chance over the next few weeks (only problem is the guys who are playing Origin are the big three and possibly Dane or Justin, so they are all backs or playmakers)

P.S.: I am surprised NSW selectors haven't picked Shea Moylan or Mitch Garbutt from Qld Cup considering they picked Jennings from NSW Cup.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I am surprised NSW selectors haven't picked Shea Moylan or Mitch Garbutt from Qld Cup considering they picked Jennings from NSW Cup.
because sticky picked 'same shit - different year' :twisted:
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The Storm I believe were due for a loss today and I didn't really care much for the final result (after 9 straight wins to start the season, the players don't want to be getting too carried away, especially after the way they finished last year after trying too hard throughout the season). To be honest, the players shouldn't be focusing on the minor premiership at all this year, and that is what I think cost the Storm a place in the GF last year. All credit to Cronulla though, I hope they go well this year and if there is any club deserving of a premiership (as well as the Storm of course), it's the Sharkies (they are my second team as well, but a long way behind the Storm).

Overall, it was Cam's missed goal was the difference in the end - I'm starting to wonder whether we need alternating goal kickers with Gaz's right foot and Cam's left foot kicking from the left side and right side respectively (like Cam and Ox did back in '05). Also, when attacking the Sharks goal line, my pet hate is Cam's stupid little grubber kicks out of dummy half that bounce off the legs of the defenders and then they dive on it - it is just a waste of an opportunity. Coops' kicking game (apart from his bomb which led to Danger's try) was off and Billy (has he got the record for the most amount of sin bins in recent history) has IMO gone through a bit of a mini form slump (after an explosive start to the season with 9 tries in 5 games, he has just dropped away - hopefully after Origin he finds it again).

The loss of Proctor and Vave really hurt. A bit surprised though with two utilities off the bench in Rory and Quinny (we need one, not two and Quinny would be the one to go with because of his ability to play in the back row). Hinchy, Lowrie and Hoffy were workhorses in defence. The props just seemed to be knocked around by the Sharks defence (why was Ryles off the field for the middle half of the game?). Juzzy got all the credit last week for his hat-trick, but there is absolutely no excuse to stuff up the kick off which led to a Sharks try (attack the ball and dive on it, don't let it come to you).

I'm glad we have the bye and we will be able to regroup in two weeks (of course with Cam, Billy and Coops backing up - maybe Danger or Juzzy as well), but I think the Storm will be up for the Broncos game (especially at AAMI Park). Also, I'm happy Hinchy has missed out on Origin, he is just not worth risking an injury as he is vital to the Storm's line-up.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Yep hoping just Smith, Slater and Cronk get picked.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It is just Smith, Slater and Cronk. Dane is 19th man
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Juzzy got all the credit last week for his hat-trick, but there is absolutely no excuse to stuff up the kick off which led to a Sharks try (attack the ball and dive on it, don't let it come to you).
He should have just trapped the ball with his foot instead of trying to pick it up from his bootlaces. I said to my wife that incident reminded me of the Storm circa-2003 and 2004 where we would often make a mistake early in the next set after scoring and take all the pressure off the opposition.

Jaiman Lowe's mistake (although there was a hint of a strip in there) on the first tackle after the goal line drop out in the second half also hurt.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just looking through the stats of the past month as Ive been away and havent seen much football but Gareth has 30 missed/ineffective tackles in 4 games.

He started out the year good defensively but seems to be struggling a bit in that area recently.