Round 18 - Storm Vs Knights (Homecoming)

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pretty cruisey win. Newcastle went with us for a few sets but as soon as Munster scored they had no response. We basically shut up shop once Jahrome went off. Hopefully his calf is fine.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Another amazing performance. Fingers crossed, the injuries aren't too bad. Finucane (HIA), Hughes (calf), Jennings (leg), Kamikamica (looked like a leg too - cramp).

I saw Booth injure his arm and was worried we would be down to 12 for last 15 minutes or so. Craig just said Booth dislocated his shoulder and it popped back in. Gutsy effort to stay on.

Bummer Craig said Jennings has a PCL.

Amazing to think that tonight we were missing Foxx, Welch, NAS, H Grant, Papenhuyzen and Eisenhuth.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Must we have political discussion?
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thought it was weird for O’Brien to raise the fact that his team had suffered a disrupted week on the track and that had been reflected in their performance …after everything Storm had to deal with this week and over the last few weeks. To win 48-4 under these circumstances is phenomenal.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Here’s a thought

With George out for a few weeks bring in Paps on the wing to re introduce him to the game …I’m sure he would get a few try’s out there and then we can have paps and Nicho in the same team
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd had the same thought.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:08 am Here’s a thought

With George out for a few weeks bring in Paps on the wing to re introduce him to the game …I’m sure he would get a few try’s out there and then we can have paps and Nicho in the same team
It's a great idea but I think Ieremia gets that spot. I like what I've seen from him. Wouldn't surprise me if Papenhuyzen plays that unusual "bench fullback" position like he did in 2019.

Is anyone just in awe at how well the halfback, five-eighth, hooker and fullback are combining at the moment? I love how often we see Smith look at what's in front of him, change direction and accelerate to create a gap for Hughes or another player to push up into. I thought all four of them were fantastic last night.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

riders of the storm wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:10 am
sallymay wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:08 am Here’s a thought

It's a great idea but I think Ieremia gets that spot. I like what I've seen from him. Wouldn't surprise me if Papenhuyzen plays that unusual "bench fullback" position like he did in 2019.

Is anyone just in awe at how well the halfback, five-eighth, hooker and fullback are combining at the moment? I love how often we see Smith look at what's in front of him, change direction and accelerate to create a gap for Hughes or another player to push up into. I thought all four of them were fantastic last night.
Munster try was the perfect example of this. Brandon did exactly this, passed to Hughes who broke through and had Munster outside and Hynes inside to pass to.
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

Dean to stay on the wing or reimis to wing and brenko lee back to centre would be the logic thing to do.

With how well Lee played last year and making origin I feel for him, deserves another shot.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I could see Hynes being manufactured into a centre for the sake of playing both too
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Some way we have to have both Nicho and Paps on the field at the same time.

We have 7 games to experiment on how best to use them both. Remis and justin are playing too well to move. So that means one of them will have to play on the wing because once Harry comes back we may actually have Harry, Cheese, Nicho and Paps on the field at the same time so that would mean we have Cheese playing in the lock posiiton. So we should experiment with Paps/Nicho on the wing now George has gone down with thE PCL.

The last thing we want to do is get to the finals and be unbalanced. we have too many stars to fit into the sky.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Teams are getting away with playing a bunch of random dudes in the middle this season. If Paps can play there's no reason we can't have Hynes and him on the field at the same time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Could this be the way to go if everyone is fit?

1.Papenhuyzen
2.R.Smith
3.Hynes
4.Olam
5.Addo-Carr
6.Munster
7.Hughes
8.J.Bronwich
9.B.Smith
10.Welch
11.Kaufusi
12.K.Bromwich
13.Finucane
14.Grant
15.Kamikamica
16.Eisenhuth
17.Asofa-Solomona
18.Lewis

Apologies to Jennings especially but someone may have to make way
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:15 pm Could this be the way to go if everyone is fit?

1.Papenhuyzen
2.R.Smith
3.Hynes
4.Olam
5.Addo-Carr
6.Munster
7.Hughes
8.J.Bronwich
9.B.Smith
10.Welch
11.Kaufusi
12.K.Bromwich
13.Finucane
14.Grant
15.Kamikamica
16.Eisenhuth
17.Asofa-Solomona
18.Lewis

Apologies to Jennings especially but someone may have to make way
That would definitely be the best 18, but have they got time to practise those combinations.? I recall that George and Reimis were a very rusty pairing early , and they had had a preseason. Time is ticking and we still don’t have Paps on the park, let alone to do all the work with Hynes at 3. Still, NSW seemed to manage just fine with a couple of full backs in the centres. Also you would think George would miss 6 weeks with his PCL, so the opening is there if Paps is given the green light to play.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If everyone is fit, our wingers and centres don’t change to accomodate Hynes IMO. Expecting Hynes to take multiple tough hit ups off our own try line each game is just setting him up for failure.