Round 8 - Storm vs Warriors - ANZAC DAY

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It is a great feeling to wake up the morning after a performance like that... All is right in the world once again.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... --round-8/

Stats that Matter - Round 8
melbournestorm.com.au
Wed 25 Apr 2018

You would think on a night that you score 50 points it is your work with the football that would be a standout however on Wednesday night Melbourne proved they are more than just a points scoring machine. Despite cruising at 38-nil at half-time, Melbourne dug in at the defensive end to make 207 tackles in the second half - more than double what they made in the first. That included successfully repelling five consecutive sets on their own line. Such an attitude, despite the score line, will bring just as much satisfaction to Craig Bellamy as the half century his team reached on the other side of the scoreboard.

That first half was pure rugby league perfection as Melbourne Storm put up their highest first half score ever at AAMI Park. 38 points, 67 per cent of possession, 20 of 22 sets completed, 881 metres to 408 and pretty much every other line in the stats column you wanted to look at would have filled you with purple pride. This was the biggest game of the season and when the moment arrived the men in purple had no hesitation in flexing their muscle.

The critics were circling early in the season around the Storm attack, they cannot be heard very loudly now. For the first time since Round 4-6, 2012, Melbourne have now scored 34 points or more points in three consecutive games. After not scoring over 10 points in three of their first five games, the pundits up north were quick to ask the question of whether this team could recapture its sizzle following the departure of several Premiership stars. The last three weeks should put any of those concerns to bed.

It will not be talked about in the headlines tomorrow but the five repeat sets Melbourne repelled on their own line at the start of the second half was arguably their most impressive highlight of the night. The Warriors had just scored their first try in the 44th minute of the game and with a wave of momentum were throwing everything at the Storm defence in search of their second. However the purple wall was going nowhere, making tackle after tackle to repel five consecutive sets from the visitors and send AAMI Park into a deserving frenzy of anticipation.

Number one on his back, number one in our hearts. Billy Slater was awarded the ANZAC Day medal for the first time in his career in a performance that still stood out, even on a night where his team was nearly flawless. The champion laid off an assist, scored one himself and had the 25,000-strong crowd holding their breath in anticipation whenever he touched the football. That is now three consecutive weeks of scintillating rugby league for Slater, no surprise his team's form has come along with it.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbou ... 9b7e108bdd

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy pleased by ‘complete’ performance against Warriors
Gilbert Gardiner
Herald Sun
April 25, 2018

MELBOURNE Storm coach Craig Bellamy declared Wednesday night’s 50-10 win over New Zealand Warriors the reigning premier’s most complete performance of the season.

The reigning premier surged into third on the NRL ladder after piling on eight tries against the Warriors at AAMI Park.

“It was a pretty complete performance and I’d probably rate it up there with the best of the year,” Bellamy said.

“They (Warriors) were equal top with St George and they’ve been playing really well, to win like that it’s a pretty good effort.”

But the clinical win has been soured with Curtis Scott (ankle) and Tim Glasby (thumb) set to be sidelined with injury.

Scott had to be helped off the field in the second half after his right ankle appeared to get jammed in a tackle, while Glasby will have surgery today after scans at AAMI Park revealed a fracture.

The tough forward, set to miss 4-6 weeks, played with the busted hand for about 15 minutes before coming off for his predetermined rotation.

Bellamy hailed Glasby’s determination to play on despite the setback.

“It’s a big effort from Tim and he played great tonight, he was outstanding, so to play like that with that injury that just goes to show the calibre of him and how tough he is,” Bellamy said.

“To put up with that injury and get through another 15 minutes for us was huge.”

It was not all one-way traffic in the second half as the Warriors, stung into action after leaking the highest first half score (38 points) ever at AAMI Park, attacked with purpose and in waves.

The Warriors finally broke through twice, courtesy of NRL top tryscorer David Fusitu’a, but not before Storm repelled five repeat sets on their defensive line.

“I was pretty disappointed with the way we started the second half,” Bellamy said.

“It was a bit like we started the second half against the Broncs last week, we just didn’t control the ball and then all of a sudden the Warriors got a heap of ball.

“I thought we defended our line really well, defensively in that second half we put a lot of pressure on ourselves but I thought we did a pretty good job with our defence on the tryline.

Storm premiership winger Suliasi Vunivalu (hamstring) and Dale Finucane (thumb) should be available for selection next week.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Dale and Suli back. That's great.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -warriors/

F*ck... I could watch those highlights on repeat all day.

How spewing would Curtis Scott be with JAC cutting him ut to find Slater for that try? :lol: Scott did all the work to make the line break and send JAC down the sideline, then he doesn't gift him the try? :lol:

As brilliant as we were in the first half, the Warriors just didn't show up with the right attitude. It really makes all of the difference. Just look at Blake Green's effort on Kaufusi when he strolled through the line and set up Young. Lazy arm-grabbing at it's finest.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yes, I think the Warriors were horrid in the first half. We played "okay" but the second half was more reflective of the difference between the sides.

Again, nothing is ever as good as it seems or as bad.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:We played "okay" but the second half was more reflective of the difference between the sides.
I wouldn't go that far. We were much better than "okay". We were very, very good. But I agree that the scoreline that resulted was not a reflection of where the two teams would be if both firing on all cylinders. All it takes is to be a bit deflated. Or to not show up with energy and intent and you will have your pants pulled down... by virtually any team in the NRL.

The second half the Warriors came out with much better intent. It was also pretty clear that our guys took the foot off the pedal as soon as we opted for the 2 points at the end of the first half. How much our own player's decision to cruise, played into the closeness of the second half is open to speculation.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

We gave up ball in our first 3 sets early in the second half and that helped kick start the Warriors attack.

Its pretty hard to play without ball.

Imo, to only give up 10 points given that situation was the most pleasing part of the night.

But I have a problem with our players coming off the line too quickly and not in formation.

It has cost us a number of times this season

We need to have more cohesion close to the try line in defence.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Storm limited the usual one-man out plays from dummy half & went with cut-out passes instead - taking the ruck out the equation, the ball went wider faster to runners who were running from deeper than the they have been for the first 5 weeks of the comp. The Warriors seemed to get caught out by it in the first half - it was like I was watching a League version the old Jonah Lomu Rugby PlayStation game where you just fended &/or stepped & racked up the points.

Across the park in the first half the Warriors were pretty poor, but particularly the edge defence with wingers and centres either jamming in and getting run around, or rushing up and getting passed around.

The second half effort was much better for the Warriors it was 2 tries all - most other teams would have let in more - I am expecting to see the Warriors in the finals this year and really hope they are there at the end of the Season - Leave your judgements till Round 20 - that is when you know if they have what it takes

My worry is with the state of our media that is slowly but steadily turning into the UK style of dramatisation. One day you're the world beater, next day your worthless. And vice versa.

Listen to the NRL channel on Foxtel and they literally don't care about the sport and treat it like a product to use to sell advertising. Journalism used to be just that. Now it is just people Shouting!

Sport and its over dramatization, has become another episode of Bachelor in Paradise.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

That was champagne rugby league! I woke up with a hangover this morning...
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Being at my first Anzac game I thought the atmosphere was amazing and the crowd overall were pretty good. My in-laws from Sydney who are all Warriors fans were surprised at how graceful the Storm fans were in victory.
They usually have to put up with Eels, Penrith and Bulldogs fans but I know all too well anyway.
Richmond station was a nightmare afterwards though lol
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I did the Richmond-Melbourne; Collingwood-Essendon; Storm-Warriors treble for the weekend.

Just Amazing.

No wonder they call Melbourne the sporting capital of the world.

No where else even New York or London would you see crowds of 90,000 back to back and then the NRL game which was a full house.

God Bless Melbourne City

The Most liveable City in the World and the World's sporting capital.

Melbourne you are easily the best. Take a bow.

We all feel privileged to live in your confines. And we love your culture, sophistication and texture.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

bula wrote: My in-laws from Sydney who are all Warriors fans were surprised at how graceful the Storm fans were in victory.
They usually have to put up with Eels, Penrith and Bulldogs fans but I know all too well anyway.
Melbourne people are more humble and generous and have more style than Sydney people.
We are kind of more “evolved” than people from Sydney.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

well I didn't see that coming
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I loved Slater’s effort to knock that ball dead in the 71st minute.

We are up 44-10. Slater is involved in a try saving tackle on RTS mid field. The Warriors shift it wide and grubber kick for the winger... Slater sprints from making the RTS tackle, to diving to knock the ball dead a split second before the Warriors score.

He could be forgiven for not being there. The game is over. We are miles ahead. He is 35. He has run himself to a standstill all game. But he does...

We defend the next set, march up field and score. Actually Slater runs off Kasiano’s hip in support and could have scored himself but gave it to Jacks.

F*ck I’m gonna miss him when he hangs them up.