Round 3 - Melbourne STORM v Canterbury Bankstown BULLDOGS

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Refs have been awful tonight. And the Slater getting penalised is a complete joke.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That was the most pathetic refereeing display I have seen in a long time... Tried to hand the game to the Dogs at every opportunity.

Slater is penalised for being tackled in the air and the Bulldogs score 30 seconds later. HOW MANY lima lima lima duck TIMES HAVE WE SEEN HIS LEGS TAKEN OUT WHILE CATCHING A BOMB!???? Looks like the NRL is happy for defenders to continue to take his legs out until he lands on his head and breaks his neck. What a complete joke of a call.

Cooper having his try taken from him!? Really!??? That was the worst obstruction call I have seen. Bar none.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't think I've been more ticked off than what I am right now. Complete joke from the very first minute of the game.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

how can the ref call obstruction on Coops try when the player was about 5 players away from Coops.2 dodgy penalties to dogs resulting in 2 tries.WHAT A JOKE..
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

It was GREAT to beat the refs (esp the linesman) and the dogs.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

stormy wrote:how can the ref call obstruction on Coops try when the player was about 5 players away from Coops.2 dodgy penalties to dogs resulting in 2 tries.WHAT A JOKE..
Even if he was the next player over... The contact was initiated by the defender and it was so minimal it barely happened. The defender was NEVER disadvantaged. Such a bad call...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bill Harrigan said on triple m the call was wrong and it should of been a try. But there is no consistency at all with the call.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

i think duffie had a poor performance besides that flying high try.. harris done really well when got moved from 2nd row to prop.. slater should get off that stupid penalty that went on report surely.. i think sa'u was average but fonua was awsome also..
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Referees aside.

The team put one hell of an effort in to come away with the win. As I commented earlier in the thread, we held the Dogs off with a great defensive effort that restricted them to playing through the ruck for most of the game.

The last 20mins or so we slackened off, mainly due to fatigue and exhaustion from our recent road trips. We got caught out wide as usual with the Dogs running off the edge of the ruck. As usual Mahe is a defensive liability and I'm suprised the Dogs didn't direct more traffic down his wing.

We opened up the game by running the Dogs forwards off their feet which allowed for some great line breaks from Billy and co and the ability to play an expansive attacking style when in the opposition red zone.

Our horror schedule is officially over. Thank god we have 8 days to prepare for the Broncos, the sooner we get back to a normal preparation schedule, the easier things will be.

Just as I side note which may interest some people. The boys were given a day off training this week in preparation for tonight's game. They were informed early in the week and only had to come in for a video analysis session on their day off.

We should all be proud of our team, we are all about class and dedication, it's what makes our club so successful and will ensure that our success both on and off the field will carry on long after our current crop of superstars move on.
Blotto
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Daniel Anderson has got to sort it out fast, otherwise he will become a joke like Harrigan. 3 key descisions wrongly called by the Ref, Pocket Ref and then the Video Ref all favouring the Dogs. It says much for Storm they won in spite of the wrong calls.
The 2 muppets were on Ch9 were gagging for the Doggies to win and no doubt the pillocks in the Sydney Press will say how wonderful the Dogs were with all their Star Players being out! They will be a lot better when they are back, but Storm were also playing a bit busted but had enough to get the job done, the new Players are still trying to fit in with the pace and patterns of play so mistakes will happen for a few more games yet!
Other Teams would have wilted with those wrong calls, but with Cameron's Leadership Storm are mentally tough enough to see them through the adverse parts of the Game!
One concern is the defence got exposed a couple of times on the flanks, which is ok when you are regularly scoring at the other end, again it will be a bit of a problem till all the players gel, but other Coachs will be looking at this as Storms achilles heel, I trust Bellyache to have a short term solution for it!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Even though others will disagree, Billy did lash his leg out a bit more than he usually does when he kicked the Bulldogs' David Klemmer. He really needs to be careful with how he goes about being competitive, as some things he does can lead to irrational plays. I know it was a complete accident with what he did, but this could have been prevented if he kept his leg vertical instead of horizontal. He will probably get a week due to him now having carry over points from last week against the Cowboys.

Also, we shouldn't blame the field ref on the Cronk no try. His opinion when he sent it up to the video ref way a try. The only fault there was the video ref and the video ref only.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Although, I think Billy did nothing wrong. I think he will get a lot more than a week. The Sydney media is already banging on about and saying it is bad.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A great effort by the boys to hang on for the win. As has been said here those two refereeing decisions re: Slater's penalty and Cronk's no try were rubbish. Cronk's try was a try every day of the week.

Whilst I agree Billy straightened his leg mid air he was still taken out in the air. The defender in the air catching the ball needs to be protected.

Craig said something along the lines of what's Billy meant to do in that situation? chop off his foot.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Great effort by the boys, we switched off for the last 10 which was uncharacteristic but I still think we were always in control. Slater was superb and I don't think he has anything to worry about. Duff looks underdone and could use a spell in NSW Cup, Chambers was quiet and I thought Sa'u was struggling with the pace but went ok and will be better for the run. Fonua was great, high energy and keen for work. Widdop has really dissapointed me this year especially in defence, looks lazy and disinterested and also stifled our attack afew times, maybe Finch gets a look in? Cronk was marvellous as usual. Our forwards all stood up and I'm really happy with how Jesse and Tohu are playing, also special mention to Hinchy, great game. Overall it's been a solid start to the year, really looking forward to the ponies game next week!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nothing in it in fast motion and the Dogs player looks to have his arms out and gets Slater with the leading point of his shoulder. Slater has a case to beat whatever charge they decide to throw at him IMO.