Team of 20 Years

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Yeah, you're right.
The source I had to hand said DJ at 11, but I just dug around on the Storm site and they have Hoff and Mooks as back rowers and DJ on the bench.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080822090 ... =15&ssec=8
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lock is just about the toughest position to pick to be honest, three strong candidates in Nikau, Johnson and Finucane and then there's even Hinchcliffe or Rua that could be thrown into the mix or Hill too.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Lock is just about the toughest position to pick to be honest, three strong candidates in Nikau, Johnson and Finucane and then there's even Hinchcliffe or Rua that could be thrown into the mix or Hill too.
Nikau was robbed of the CC Medal in 1999 IMO. Single handedly lifted the boys with his tenacity and no holds barred defense. The very least we can do is give him a 20 year spot.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I have Nikau at lock for that very reason. Played a pretty significant part in delivering us our first Premiership.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really hard to argue with any of those three choices.

It really comes down to what type of player you prefer, a defender, an attacker or something in between.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I kind of see it differently. If it was just which player I prefer personally, I’d take Finucane. The most uncompromising player we have ever had. Equally competent in both attack and defence and tougher than a $2 steak.

Who has been most significant for the club though? I guess it depends on how much importance you place on that first Premiership.

I’d have no issue with either Nikau or Finucane named at lock. Both worthy.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just playing devil's advocate here but, Johnson was a major part of the early Bellamy period so arguably he was just as significant...

I can go any of three ways though.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Dallas needs to be in...

if not, the whole history of our great Melbourne Storm franchise would be warped.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Halfback

Cooper Cronk (323)
Matt Orford (120)
Brett Kimmorley (79)

Easy selection however the contributions of Noddy and Ox should not go unappreciated. Kimmorley in particular was instrumental in delivering us our first Premiership. He also was Storm Player of the Year in 99. Orford was awarded Storm POTY in 04'. Cronk has never won the award...

The greatness of Cronk is often overshadowed by a certain Immortal and a probable Immortal being in the team at the same time. If we somehow manage to have a halfback within the next decade even half as successful, we will be in good hands.

2 x Dally M Medal
1 x Golden Boot
1 x Clive Churchill Medal
1 x World Club Challenge Medal
5 x Dally M Halfback of the Year Award
38 x Australian Appearances
22 x Queensland Appearances
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Super Cooper! I wonder if I'll keep loving him (like I did Noddy) or if I'll eventually hate him (like I did Ox for his involvement in the 2008GF)...

I'll always have a soft spot for DJ. Dale Finucane may yet surpass him but in his prime I thought DJ was the best lock in the game. Would have been funny seeing him play in this period of HIA testing: I can imagine him pushing away the trainers while he gets back into the defensive line after taking another knock to the noggin.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:Dale Finucane may yet surpass him but in his prime I thought DJ was the best lock in the game. Would have been funny seeing him play in this period of HIA testing: I can imagine him pushing away the trainers while he gets back into the defensive line after taking another knock to the noggin.
Lol. DJ would be a liability under the HIA rules of today. It felt like he played half of his career concussed :lol:
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think we'll all agree on Cronk, I guess the question is, do you throw Noddy into the mix for a bench spot?
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote:I think we'll all agree on Cronk, I guess the question is, do you throw Noddy into the mix for a bench spot?
Nope. A team certainly but not a bench spot. We have had plenty of players more versatile - Noddy was purely a halfback
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And the hooker discussion is probably moot too as it will be one C.Smith.

So on to the props?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:And the hooker discussion is probably moot too as it will be one C.Smith.
Hard to go past the greatest player in the history of the game... However just for the sake of discussion;

Hooker

Cameron Smith (358)
Ryan Hinchcliffe (177)
Richard Swain (132)

Nathan Friend (34) and Rory Kostjasyn (32) spent some time there also.

Richard Swain - Won a Premiership for the Storm in 99'. Also collected 20 Test Caps for the Kiwis during his time with the club. Swain was the Storm POTY in 2001. Something I didn't know, Swain never missed a game for the Melbourne Storm during his time with the club. From Round 1, 1998 up until his final game for the club in Round 26, 2002.

Ryan Hinchcliffe - Spent the bulk of his Storm career coming off the bench and a couple of years at Lock. A tough little player that embodied the Storm philosophy of putting the team first - he put aside his aspirations of being a starting NRL Hooker to play a bench Utility/Lock as that was what the team needed. The reality is that Hinchcliffe was a very decent Hooker in his own right and could have got a starting role at most other NRL clubs. Selfless in that regard... Earns the bench Utility role in the Storm 20 Year Team, purely in my opinion.

Cameron Smith - What can you say? Where do you start? The most decorated player the game has ever seen. The overall BEST player the game has ever seen. Equally proficient in attack and defence, Smith dominates virtually every game he plays. With an extraordinarily high football IQ, he always knows what to do, when. Then he somehow executes flawlessly, always seeming to have ample time. He seems to play the game of RL at a different pace to everyone else, like the game is in slow motion for him. He sees things before they present themselves. He gets the best out of his teammates and personifies leadership.

358 Games for the Storm
The most NRL games in history
The most goals in history
56 Games for Australia
42 Games for Queensland
2 x Dally M Medals
2 x Golden Boot Awards
4 x Wally Lewis Medal
Look I'll stop there or this thread will be 6 pages long... His records and accomplishments are quite simply, astonishing.

We are all very lucky to have witnessed the era of Cameron Smith. Something that will be forever remembered and referenced, in the future years of our game. Young adults of today will be telling their grand kids about Cameron Smith one day, his legacy and aura will likely grow in the aftermath of his career.

I could sit here and wax lyrical all day about the greatness of Cameron Smith and still feel that I am underselling him...

Build the statue outside AAMI Park already...