2013 Official Thread + Signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

just at the storm breakfast quinny announced storm wont be re-signing him he is going back to newcastle to take up an aprentiship....this hasnt been announced yet

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

not official yet...he might be re-signed

mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote:just at the storm breakfast quinny announced storm wont be re-signing him he is going back to newcastle to take up an aprentiship....this hasnt been announced yet

So he might be retiring?? I maybe thought he would be heading to Super League in England (or France).
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

F**king Hell now Todd Lowries gone

Signed with the warriors

Monsoon
Monsoon

I must say i'm not overly concerned with the quality of players we've currently cut loose but i am a little concerned that were not really replacing them i mean we have signed a 20's player (mann) and a reserve prop (glasby) but we have waved goodbye to Neilsen, Quinn, Lowrie, Manu, Lowe, Greenfield and Kostjasyn from our top squad, we will promote afew from within like Harris and Hampton but i feel we will lack afew experienced campaigners, hopefully we land Sau and can pick up acouple of forwards from the scrapheap to work some bellamy magic on, although maybe we just think guys like k.bro, garbutt and vave are the future, it will be interesting to see how this all pans out although we knew when we signed cronk on big $ there would be abit of an exodus from the club.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was expecting Quinn and Lowrie to leave. But I agree it is a bit of a concern that we now have had 7 players leave but have only signed 2 new players (neither with first grade experience). I understand that guys like Young T, Kirisome and Siro may get promoted from within, but at this stage our forward pack looks a bit thin. Although some of us have been crying out for Garbutt, Harris and Kenny B to get games. At the moment our four man rotation will be Ryles, J. Bromwich, Vave and Norrie. Despite the talent of the other guys we definitely need to pick up at least one prop with NRL experience.
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

doesn't really surprise me, well our Backline is already good don't really need to change it maybe sign sau so we have more depth..

For the fowards I think garbutt, vave, Bromwich, Ryles and Norrie will probally be the prop rotation which I wouldn't mind either, good size there imo.. Sign one more foward ( experience ) like packer would be a good fit.

For the backrowers we have hoffy, proctor and Hinchy, sign one or two backrowers like panapa and bronsen harrison and then we have harris and kenny Waiting there turn ..

And our side would be done for 2013 .

Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

We've let go of the deadwood - all departing players will be fairly easy to replace.
Lowrie - there is no need for him with Hinchy in the side, who is a similar player in every facet to Todd.
Manu - to say he's injury prone is probably an understatement and his form has dropped off in the past few years, he's not a shadow of his early days.
Quinn - self explanatory really, he's over the hill and his up and end defense has given me too many heart attacks over the years.
Lowe - sad to see him retiring but he's easily replaced, doesn't play many minutes either.
Kostjasyn - he's a average first grader, not really needed in our side.
Nielsen - Has been a good servant since coming from Cronulla, but we have a bucket load of good outside backs coming through the grades.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't think the club has lost/let go anyone they weren't prepared to lose with maybe the exception of Sika. I'm not too worried about the quality of players that are moving on as such but am a bit in the depth sense. Most of them were consistent first graders and while we have plenty of talent coming through the ranks that will more than likely be better for us in the long run, it'll take time for them to all adjust when they get their chance which is something to be mindful of.

On the plus side you'd think Manu, Quinny, Danger and Lowrie collectively would've been on some decent coin so hopefully there's a bit spare to spend elsewhere, especially in the forwards.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Says with tongue in cheek maybe we are clearing the way to get GI back
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No thanks. Forwards is what we need. 80 minute forward would be nice.
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

isn't quinn on 250-350k a season? Read somewhere he was on something like that.. The way his playing his no way near the amount of money he should be on. Can spend that on a quality forward.

We should have a fair bit of $$ left over after manu, Neilson, quinn, Lowrie, lowe, kostjayson and greenfield have departed!

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lowrie will be on just above the minimum as he was a last second signing - trained with us sure - but, wasn't signed until deep into the pre-season.

Kostjasyn won't be on much either - it was an extension of his first contract so that will be minimum wage too I reckon.

Greenfield was hardly an established first grader either and Lowe was on the scrap heap so barely above minimum you'd reckon.

Neilson would have signed his current contract before he was a rep player or indeed a long term regular first grader so not a lot either and I heard that Manu was on less than market value last time he signed so with the exception of Quinny, I don't think we really have cleared a lot of cap space unfortunately.
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

David Stagg would be a good signing rumoured to be on way out from Dogs through salary cap pressure,although he says he will retire if not kept on.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lowrie originally signed a 2 year deal and had it extended this year. While i don't think he'd have been on very good money i think it'd be one a fair bit more than just over the minimum, especially given i'm sure he'd have had his terms improved on the extension which is generally the case. Same goes with Danger, while he may not have been a rep player at the time from memory there was much interest for him before he re-signed which again would've had to have been under better terms. As for Sika, it's not so much he's on now that we'd have in the kitty it's more so what we offered him for next year that we'll have to spend elsewhere. Obviously we couldn't match what Penrith offered but you'd have to think we still offered him decent coin given the club wanted to re-sign him and how long negotiations went on for. As for Quinny, as has been mentioned he's apparently on about $250- $300k so he was never going to be re-signed.

Anyway we can all speculate as much as we like but the fact is we have no idea what any of the mentioned players are on for sure. As i said in my previous post collectively i think Quinn, Danger, Sika and Lowrie would leave a bit of money left over for a 2 and maybe 3 decent signings, not a massive amount by any means but hardly peanuts as well. Either way we'll find out soon enough just how much money we have when the new signings are eventually announced.