Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy poised to sign

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

No sir, I do not like it - rumour or not.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/k ... 6492387044

I get the feeling next year will be his last at the storm...he wants a new challange
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Nup he's staying :) they can drum up every story between now and decision time that speculates he's leaving, but he's purple through and through and it will remain that way.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If he does go would like to see Brad Arthur looked at.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Freshy wrote:Nup he's staying :) they can drum up every story between now and decision time that speculates he's leaving, but he's purple through and through and it will remain that way.

Freshy......You usually have you finger on the pulse when it comes to all things Storm.

Is this wishful thinking or do you have a litle inside knowledge. ??
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

For 4 million he'd be foolish not to consider it. I reckon he'll go unless Storm can match it.

Having said that, even having the best coach in the game won't help the Warriors.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

if they want the staff as well, would craig leave the club dry like that? take everyone with him? i doubt it!!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Only way I see him leaving is if he gets the blessing from Coops,Cam,Bill and Hoff. I just can't see him wanting to coach against them.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Headline on Fox sports news is Craig going to coach Warriors for 4 million for 3 years form 2014 and Slater has given him his blessing. Then the story goes on to say this is just rumour and they went to an interview with Slater. Slater said he has earned the right to do what ever he wants and does not have to prove anything.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just saw an online story posted by the Daily Telegrapgh at 2.51pm that the Bellamey coaching deal with the Warriors has fallen through. Sorry I can not post the story, but who do you believe.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

glennb wrote:Just saw an online story posted by the Daily Telegrapgh at 2.51pm that the Bellamey coaching deal with the Warriors has fallen through. Sorry I can not post the story, but who do you believe.
From the Herald Sun, but I'm sure it's the same article:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/m ... 6492917000
Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy has knocked back the New Zealand Warriors

David Riccio
The Sunday Telegraph
October 10, 2012 2:51PM

THE NEW Zealand Warriors' pitch for premiership coach Craig Bellamy has fallen short, with the Melbourne Storm mentor closing the door on a multi-million dollar move across the ditch.

Bellamy was the prime target for the Warriors after they were knocked back by David Kidwell, Shane Flanagan and Stephen Kearney.

The Warriors now find themselves in the embarrassing situation of being without a coach despite players scheduled to return to pre-season training in three weeks time.

It’s likely that discarded veterans Tim Sheens and Brian Smith will firm as favourites for the Warriors post, with speculation a decision by New Zealand officials could be made within the next 48 hours.

Ultimately, the deal fell over when the Warriors wanted Bellamy to start immediately as head coach in 2013.

Bellamy has made it clear previously that he has no intention of leaving the Storm before his deal is complete at the end of 2013.

He will definitely coach the Storm next season, where he has the likes of Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk at his disposal.

Storm officials have made no secret of their desire to see Bellamy finish his career south of the border, but the premiership winner remains undecided what he will do beyond next season.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just proves once again. Until someone at the Storm or the player/coach confirms in themselves I'd take every Storm rumour with a grain of salt.

There was no way in hell Craig would sign for the Warriors for 2013.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm Spirit wrote:
Freshy wrote:Nup he's staying :) they can drum up every story between now and decision time that speculates he's leaving, but he's purple through and through and it will remain that way.

Freshy......You usually have you finger on the pulse when it comes to all things Storm.

Is this wishful thinking or do you have a litle inside knowledge. ??
It's both.

Besides Craig won't leave unless be has a succession plan in place. He's the core that has kept this club together and hes poured his heart and soul into ensuring this club succeeds. He's not going to desert the structure he's implemented unless he feels comfortable leaving the team in the hands of a trustworthy successor. We know that Craig's successor will most likely come from within our system because of their familiarity and understanding of how the club and players operate.

Just look at the current situation with both assistant coaches and you see Kev Walters and David Kidwell in contention for various head coaching positions. Potentially it could leave us with no senior assistants and therefore Craig may have to recruit for 2013 and beyond.

Does anyone truly think he's going to leave us with all the uncertainty surrounding the rest of the coaching staff, as well as potentially having a coach for 2014 and beyond who has spent hardly a year in the system if Kiddy and/or Kev decide to pursue other opportunities.
storm77
Squall
Squall

Actually Freshy I am pretty sure that David would take over if Craig were to leave.
He is a former Storm player.
He is considered to be one of the most talented young coaches in the game.
He also oversees the D which is what this team is ultimately built around.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

What I would like to see - Craig stays until Cam retires, Cam spends a year as an assistant to Craig and then takes over as head coach the following season.