A second team for Melbourne

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I did answer your question if you read it but just for you:-

Using your brilliant accounting intellect, please explain why a successful business would sponsor a team in a city that is supported by no-one?

It very rarely does. Because of the high failure rate. Unless it recognises that the city itself has potential for advertising revenue because it's position in the Kaleidoscope of advertising dollar on a national basis or it is prepared to make a loss to give it a certain profile.

That is the only thing keeping the Melbourne Storm and especially the Melbourne Rebels (barely) afloat or Greater Western Sydney.

And the reason the Western Reds/Perth Reds and Western Force didn’t make it

Teams of all codes on the Gold Coast are always basket cases for the same reason.

Why would a TV rights deal garner greater revenue when no-one in the market will tune in to games?

People do tune into games. But let me make it a bit easier.

If 100K people and major corporates in Perth tune into a game and their combined spending power is $100 million this is not as much as 100K and major corporates in Melbourne tuning into a game and their combined spending power is $3 billion.

And yes; it is not a fair playing field.

How would a team in such a city recover the gap between operating costs and NRL grant money p.a.?

They can only recover it if a major business man or business group buys the team and confirms they will pay for it but all codes have been stung by that esp the NRL eg like Nathan Tinkler who placed the Newcastle Jets into voluntary administration, listing debts of $2.7 million

or if the competition itself subsidise it like the AFL with Greater Western Sydney.

That is why Tasmania doesn’t have an AFL team even though it is a much more popular game there than in Sydney.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Cameron wrote: I don't get paid to work; I get paid to think.
You're over paid then.
You're not a good liar either.
First of all; let me introduce myself. I work at the top end of town. Spring St. I am a major financier and understand the numbers and figures that drive things.
You told us previously you make (gasp) $170K/year. That doesn't indicate major player to me.

Besides, any serious financier or investment banker (did you know the collective noun for bankers is a 'wunch'?) would know that potential advertising revenue is only that, and is worthless without an audience. You don't have a ready made audience in Melbourne - the people interested in League are either Storm fans or have an allegiance to one of the older clubs. It's not like Brisbane - which is a League city and there is still a very significant percentage of the population there who blame the Broncos for destroying the QRL. You'd be surprised how many people barrack for anyone but the Broncos. Besides, Union is dying and the Lions and Suns are failing badly - there is a hole in the market there.
Melbourne - with nine AFL teams, two soccer, one NRL, One Rugby, WAFL, the nations biggest basketball junior league, netball, baseball etc. etc. - is the nation's most saturated sporting market. Where does another major league team fit?

And, in response to the question, "Using your brilliant accounting intellect, please explain why a successful business would sponsor a team in a city that is supported by no-one?"
you said:
It very rarely does. Because of the high failure rate. Unless it recognises that the city itself has potential for advertising revenue because it's position in the Kaleidoscope of advertising dollar on a national basis or it is prepared to make a loss to give it a certain profile.

That is the only thing keeping the Melbourne Storm and especially the Melbourne Rebels (barely) afloat
So you have just destroyed your own argument.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

No I haven't, that is the whole argument about why all these leagues (AFL, League, Union) pour money into Sydney and Melbourne. Because of the advertising and commercial advantage of those two cities.

And are less keen to spend "up front" start-up money in smaller markets.

Whoever wins Sydney ans Melbourne in the great "code war" wins the corporate and advertising dollar and is crowned the premier code in Australia.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The reason the Force got cut instead of the Rebels had nothing to do with money. It was just easier for the ARU to cut the Force because of legal reasons. They wanted to cut the Rebels but couldn’t.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:Whoever wins the fans in the great "code war" wins the corporate and advertising dollar and is crowned the premier code in Australia.
Fixed it for you. You still don’t get it.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Has anyone been to Port Moresby lately?
Nobody in their right mind would want to live there unless it was in a gated community. They would a LOT of money to entice non-PNG people there.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:
Cameron wrote:Whoever wins the people of Melbourne and Sydney where all the money is made in the great "code war" wins the corporate and advertising dollar and is crowned the premier code in Australia.
Fixed it for you. You still don’t get it.
Fixed it back
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Cameron, how did you survive before this forum?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Makes a strong case for proper parental supervision, doesn't he?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

How did you guys survive without me.

You guys still think the Western Reds/Perth Reds are the greatest rugby league team of all time.

I'm sitting here eating a rib eye steak and drinking some Moet champagne having just watched the most spectacular sunset of all time over the beautiful Elwood beach. So I must be doing something right!

I wish you all could have been there with me to see the sunset.

Melbourne is truly spectacular in late Feb/Early March. We are blessed to be in the world's most livable city.

You see, every question has a rhetorical question as well.

How bad do those Broncos look?
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

That's 2.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Holy shit this guys a fruitcake
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

What sort of a looney drinks Moet to accompany their steak? Oh right, Cameron. My bad.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Cameron wrote: You guys still think the Western Reds/Perth Reds are the greatest rugby league team of all time.
I realise I'm probably opening Pandora's box here, but what on earth does that mean?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Lucas wrote:What sort of a looney drinks Moet to accompany their steak? Oh right, Cameron. My bad.
Someone who can afford both red and white wine.

But not in the same glass of course.

Now I am on to my lemon melange pie.

With a nice Tawny. I love the Rutherglen region. Such a big taste.

Bon appetite and Cheers. O0