Storm v Manly Trial Game Updates

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Thanks Insomniac!  Good stuff to hear, don't mind hearing about the stuff we need to improve on, it'll come I'm sure  :D
Gotta blood those new guys one way or another.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Stormwarning[c wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I swear the Beaver is checking out Ox's butt....
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I recon his looking thinking.....'christ you really are a short arse' ;)
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to Christa & Thinga for the updates, I was out and have only just finished reading the last 13 pages.

Special thankyou to Tigger who noticed my absence and sent me a msg with the final score so I wasn't left wondering until I got home and could check for myself.  ;D
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

jellyhead wrote: Full match report available now http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html
Falou, who is only 17, emerged from the game as one of the new stars displaying a huge fend and exciting footwork for someone so young.

He also came up with some punishing defence and try-saving tackles.
Just what we like to hear  ;-)
From above link:
Melbourne jumped to an early 10-0 lead through tries to powerhouse prop Antonio Calluses and fullback Luke Samoa before Manly ran on their big names in the second term.
  :wtf:  :lol: :lol: :lol:
lotti

Stormwarning[c] wrote: I recon his looking thinking.....'christ you really are a short arse' ;)
yeah but don't forget Beaver played with Geoff Toovey and Cliff Lyons.  I actually thought the boys would do better than they did yes it was the second string team and yes it's only a trial but they looked at training but then they always do.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Filthy Teeve
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hey Jelly, Round 3 Storm v Warriors OP 12 noon, round 1 of AFL Tigers v Blues MCG 5.10pm, you, Buzz, Filthy Teeve, Me & anyone else wanting to go - we could do it you know  Very Happy
Bloody oath, great idea. Looks like a very messy day coming up. Just hope I and/or Buzz are not working the game (or worse, at TD)

BTW, Buzz you did kinda allude to the reason why Storm lost mate. Simply... Carlton won. Oh for the quady of Carlton and Storm winning, Collingwood and Essendon losing all on the same weekend. 3/4 this weekend.
Smoking Is The Leading Cause Of Statistics
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Surandy wrote: From above link:
Melbourne jumped to an early 10-0 lead through tries to powerhouse prop Antonio Calluses and fullback Luke Samoa before Manly ran on their big names in the second term.
  :wtf:  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was here wondering who the heck that guy is after reading the article

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
bunnies
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Yes, thank you Tigger for SMSing me with the updates whilst I was partying and dancing the night away at my one of my best friend's son's wedding reception. It was quite a night and I walked through my front door about 2am!! :) :)

Would have loved to have been at the game, but I was certainly there in spirit!

One of the girls from work is getting married next Saturday, so oops I miss the payback match BUT you will see Stormboy, Tazzie ( his girlfriend ) and I in Canberra Round 2!! :) :)

Cheers
Bunnies :) :D :)
Go the Mighty Melbourne Storm and the Mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs!!
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Finally home tonight from my weekend on the coast, glad to have seen some footy, even if it was a trial.

Here's some of my thoughts:

Kaufusi - Didn't get much game time, but with the other 1st grade forwards did plenty of good hard running up the middle. I'm sure he'll be better for the run and didn't look to have any injury concerns after the game. Our forwards, both starters and backups all looked good in both attack and defence, some good depth by the look of things.

Falou - OK attack was brilliant, reminded me a little of GI when he was playing for Norths in early 2005. Positioning and defence... did do some great things as the Fox Sports article said, but was caught out of position a couple of times on the right of the defensive line. Was switching between fullback and wing though, so who knows where he's most comfortable. Does look a likely type as the saying goes.

Otherwise it looked like most of the young guys were happy with the experience, the three period thing didn't really work well for both teams (I'm not bothering to talk about Manly...), the points Insomniac made pretty much sums up the scoreline.
lotti

yeah good idea thinga, thanks again for the updates.
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Stormwarning[c] wrote: I recon his looking thinking.....'christ you really are a short arse' ;)
He's not thinking any thing about the short bit at all :o :o :o ??? ??? :P ;-) ;-) ;-)
I am back again.
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Sine when did Lotti write for the Australian FFS.

Here is their summary of the game.
Lyon set for pivot in Origin: Kenny

* Dan Koch
    * February 26, 2007

FORMER Test five-eighth Brett Kenny believes Manly recruit Jamie Lyon is the frontrunner for the NSW No.6 jumper this season, thanks to a lack of quality halves available to Blues selectors.
In his first appearance since joining the Sea Eagles from St Helens, Lyon drifted between five-eighth and centre.

However, when rugged Kiwi three-quarter Steve Matai returns, Lyon looks set to make a permanent move to pivot for his new club -- a move Kenny believes will be a huge relief to Blues coach Graham Murray.

At this early stage, Lyons' only genuine rivals for NSW's five-eighth spot appear to be fellow makeshift pivots Mark Gasnier and Brett Finch.

"Just looking around, I am thinking I might get my knee fixed up and throw the boots on because I could be a show for them," Kenny joked.

"It's an interesting situation -- a pretty worrying one if your are a New South Welshman.

"You'd have to think Jamie is a huge chance to play there, if he can perform even solidly in early rounds. He's played for Australia, he is obviously a very good player and you know he can handle the pressure of rep football.

"He played some five-eighth in England, but (he) is a bit of an unknown here. But there just isn't anyone else who really jumps out at you as a great option."

Lyon's superior passing and kicking skills have him above Gasnier in the pivot standings at present, with Gasnier still the Blues' first choice in the centres.

Helping the former Parramatta star's cause is the presence of gun halfback Matt Orford inside him at the Sea Eagles. With Andrew Johns unavailable and Brett Kimmorley on the outer, Orford appears to be in a race in three with Penrith co-captain Craig Gower, and St George Illawarra's Ben Hornby for the No.7 jumper.

NSW's stocks are in stark contrast to Queensland, which looks to have an embarrassment of riches throughout the backline.

Halves Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston are the incumbent Test pairing. Beyond them, Tim Smith, Scott Prince and Cooper Cronk have proven themselves more than capable, while the game's best young player, Greg Inglis, is set to move to five-eighth this season.

In their first hit-out against an under-strength Melbourne outfit, Lyon and Orford teamed well together. Playing in the second of three periods, Orford laid on two tries with trademark bursts through a retreating defence, with Lyon joining in, gifting second-rower Anthony Watmough a try with a short ball close to the line.

A bomb from Lyon in the final period led to another Manly try.

"Matty is a great player with a lot of experience and it is always a pleasure to play outside someone like that because it makes life a lot easier for you," Lyon said.

"It was only the first hit-out for the year and it wasn't like our game was worth writing home about. But there were a lot of good signs and I felt very comfortable."

Orford said Lyon had fitted well into the side and already commanded the squad's respect.

He said his combination with Lyon could not only carry Manly to success this year, but also help him fulfil his Origin dream.

"Jamie is such a classy player ... he can slot in anywhere and every time he touches it, he just seems to have all day to do whatever he wants," Orford said.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
lotti

Never. :lol: