Rd 8 vs Manly - ANZAC Day

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I don`t want Billy back so early...if he misses the 1st SOO no biggie he will be back for the Melbourne one as GI won`t be as good as Billy. GI knows it as well as anybody else.
I have a great feeling about this game.I think STORM are going to run riot over the seagulls.
if they thought the Storm was bad in Sydney this week wait til they face The MELBOURNE STORM...
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cronk was seen at the airport this morning in the departure lounge. Melbourne Storm was asked about this and replied, "Thursday is a day off and players are few to do what they want". The story also stated it is widely know Cronk is nursing a sore body.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Slater wanting to rush back so he can play rep footy piss anyone else off ?
Couldn't agree with you more. We know he's always going to work hard for the big occasion (RLWC final 2013 is the best example) but he needs to be 100%.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hampton is poised to fill in for Cronk if he doesnt end up playing as he is fighting the flu also - or is that Hampton? Coz i know hampton is under some kind of cloud too.

Nona is next in line
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think Hampton has hamstring soreness..... I'd be happy for Cronk to get a week off, he's not going to get next week off - and he could probably use a rest. Wouldn't mind seeing Nona/Green as the halves, and hopefully Eddie at fullback (but it is sounding like Billy might play. ..)
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lots of ducks and drakes going on right now
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Training tomorrow should answer some questions. Assuming Cronk and Hampton are unavailable, playing Nona is the simplest and least disruptive option... but whether Bellamy prefers a backline shuffle to keep current players in the team, we'll see.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

blazza18 wrote:Slater wanting to rush back so he can play rep footy piss anyone else off ?
Or it could just be Billy doing his damnedest to get back onto the park as quick as possible. Like he always has before; upcoming rep games or not.

Honestly, after 14 years you'd reckon he deserves a little credit.
Besides, Mal has already said that even if he didn't play a game before origin if he said he was fit he'd be one of the first picked - along with Cam, Thurston, GI and Coops. Sheens has said the same about 'Roos. He doesn't need to rush back for rep selection.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:
Or it could just be Billy doing his damnedest to get back onto the park as quick as possible. Like he always has before; upcoming rep games or not.

Honestly, after 14 years you'd reckon he deserves a little credit.
Besides, Mal has already said that even if he didn't play a game before origin if he said he was fit he'd be one of the first picked - along with Cam, Thurston, GI and Coops. Sheens has said the same about 'Roos. He doesn't need to rush back for rep selection.
Hear Hear!!!!! Could not agree more
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wish I knew what time training was on...but then again it's proberly a closed session so it's a waiting game
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm sure the $40k or $50k Slater will get for playing rep footy next week has nothing to do with him wanting to return early. We're in a good position to not having to bring him back earlier than we should. I'd much prefer he not play until after the rep bye. What is the harm in being cautious at this stage of his career ?
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

and who cares if it is... there's medical staff there to stop him coming back if he's not right. Both his rep coaches have pretty much declared him a certainty regardless of playing this week.
I don't understand some of the negative thoughts about Bill. I don't have the stats, but I'd like to see how many games he's missed injured in his career with us. I don't think it's many... meaning he knows his body, and is the ultimate professional.
My tip... Billy and the docs at the club know better than we do!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yes, he's the ultimate professional, which is why he's coming back early to be picked for a meaningless rep game. It's already been made pretty clear the medical staff wont have a say in things if Slater says he wants to play. Just like the medical staff hasn't stopped Cronk from playing with his current injuries or Smith playing on one leg after origin last season. It's ridiculous we've allowed this to happen over the years. With the way the team is playing, Munster's been really good filling in, this is the perfect time to not rush Slater back.

Sheens has not come out and said anything about him being a certainty btw.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fair enough about Sheens not saying anything about it, thought I read it somewhere but no idea what I read now!

I'm guessing we will need to agree to disagree... playing for your country is never and should never be meaningless... that's one of the things that helps rep football relevant in my opinion.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Yes, he's the ultimate professional, which is why he's coming back early to be picked for a meaningless rep game..
mate, that is just ignorance.

"Meaningless"? You try fronting any of the 17 players picked to play for the Kangaroos or Kiwis and telling them that it is a meaningless game. See what reaction you get. I'm sure they'll tell you it actually means something.

Is the double header on Saturday night (Tonga v Samoa and PNG vs. Fiji) meaningless too? I'm sure Melbourne stand to lose a few players in that game as well, Fonua and Koroibete being the obvious ones. I bet you those lads are jumping out of their skin at the prospect of getting to represent their country and their culture.

Like it or not, rep footy is a huge part of rugby league and always will be.