5/8 options for 2014

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Rina
Squall
Squall

Bourbon Rat wrote:Saw Finch at Wigan & his style is becoming inflexible & predictable - He's a back up for this year & a backs coach afterwards.
Let's stick with Hampton & Mann,with McG as understudy.
I love the idea of Finchy taking a position with us as a backs coach! The more people proven to bleed purple in our staff the better.
Watched the East Tigers highlights on youtube earlier this week and Hampton was involved in quite a few of their tries :-D
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The smart moneys on McGahan
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like the look of McGahan but he needs to work on his running game. But having two halfbacks out there isn't a bad thing. Plus his goal kicking is solid too.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mattstormy wrote: As said above, I think we really need to consider look externally and look at signing Daniel Mortimer. He is off contract at the end of the year and he is 24 in June this year (still very young and would be an excellent long term prospect). He would thrive playing alongside an experienced halfback like Cooper Cronk and he has a great kicking and running game as well. I agree, it is a waste having a player of his calibre on the bench for the Roosters.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/d ... 6636606731
Well that idea has gone out the window pretty quickly, Daniel Mortimer has signed a two year extension for the Roosters which will see him there until the end of 2015. Guess he's happy being a utility bench player, although I still think it is a waste of a player of his calibre to not be playing in a starting side in the halves.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:I like the look of McGahan but he needs to work on his running game. But having two halfbacks out there isn't a bad thing. Plus his goal kicking is solid too.
He's only playing 7 because for some bizzare reason we dont have a genuine half at NYC level but he's a 6 in my eyes.

Sure isnt as good a ball runner as his 2 in house competitors but he does everything else better.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Michael :P wrote:
blazza18 wrote:I like the look of McGahan but he needs to work on his running game. But having two halfbacks out there isn't a bad thing. Plus his goal kicking is solid too.
He's only playing 7 because for some bizzare reason we dont have a genuine half at NYC level but he's a 6 in my eyes.

Sure isnt as good a ball runner as his 2 in house competitors but he does everything else better.
For mine it should be out of mcgahan and hampton long term
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I recently saw some footage of Hampton playing QLDCup and he looked very impressive. Great footwork and speed attacking the line with perfectly timed passes to hole runners.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

As I`ve said before I`d be more than happy to see one of the young guns given a go but, as a left field option, what do people think of the idea of Kurtley Beale? He seems to be on the outer at the Rebels and would have to toe the line better than he has a the Rebels to be sure. I believe he has said in the past that he would be interested in playing league. I don`t know a lot about union but from what I`ve seen a flyhalfs skill set could transfer over to 5/8th reasonably well. Just a thought....
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Good idea woody but it will never happen. We wont be paying overs to any players so I know we won't sign anyone who is already a star. most likey we will buy a young 5/8 and have them compete with our current crop for the position...I am actually glad Widdop is leaving he offers the team nothing in terms of direction and to be honest I never really rated him a good player..but in time I know he will improve and be one of the games top players
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

So Trent Hodkinson is a free agent at the end of this year! Has been out of sorts with the bulldogs playing a lot of nsw cup, and only got a spot on the nrl team due to an injury to keating! He has a pretty loud game and I don't think he would be out of sorts in a number 6 storm jersey. I think he would be a good pickup and would play a good structured game! Thoughts??
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

also walsh is reportedly on the outer at penrith, don't think we could afford either him or hodgkinson though
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Surely Hodkinson wouldn't be worth what he was on in his last contract?? He has not played that much first grade after being dropped for poor form LAST year?? And Walsh was in the same boat?? Anyone know their current contract pay??
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think in house option is the best way. Hampton please.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Benny Hampton

/thread
Faider
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Ok here's my question

If you only had the choice to choose a player that's not currently in our rosters (hampton,mann,mcghan,blair) who would you choose and why?