2013 World Club Challenge vs Leeds Rhinos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

As for ESL being likened to 'park footy', there's a lot of ignorant people on Facebook who will write all sorts of crap they know little about.
I've watched a couple of ESL games, nothing too recently I'll admit, but it appears to be a very fast game. The crowd atmosphere with trumpets, etc sounds awesome!!
My understanding is that the top few teams are very good, NRL standard, but the rest are very average. So when two top sides meet its a tough game, but every other week it's an easy win for the good sides until they meet another top team. Unlike NRL, which is a pretty tough game even if it's 1 V 16.
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

MENACING*STORM wrote:The game looks like it will be play at Headingley instead of Elland Road. What's the main difference between the two stadiums besides being at opposite sides of Leeds. Is it like comparing Headingley as the MCG and Elland Road as Etihad Stadium?
Not really. Both are standard rectangular pitches, Elland road is primarily a soccer stadium but hosts many league games over the years and in fact used to be where Hunslet played for years. Headingly is smaller (around 21K capacity) and still have 60% standing room, whereas Elland Road is all seated and 42k capacity, though currently the top of the East stand does not open so usually around 33k capacity.

Headingly probably has the best pitch in the UK for league, pan flat and well looked after, though they are just about to lift the turf and relay it. Headingly due to its standing area in the South stand especially has a better atmosphere, I remember bouncing around on game day many times, whereas Elland road has become less noist since it went all seating.

Both are awesome venues with great atmosphere inside, but even though Headingly is smaller its a better RL venue (And doesnt have the dip below the edge of the pitch and the front of the seats so you get a better view at the front)
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Thanks Storm Rhinos, gives me a better idea on the potential stadiums we will be playing in.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

cant believe the leeds prop ruptured his testicle and is getting it removed
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Paul Wood plays for Warrington...
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Got a reply to my email yesterday.

Apparently AAMI is too small to host it...
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yet Headingley holds around 10k less people than AAMI.........
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

so it was just media hype and it will be played over there AGAIN!
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Turtle188 wrote:
Bourbon Rat wrote:If played in Yorkshire this will be a game played in crap weather against a side that relies on niggle & cheap tactics in tackles.An aggressive pack & fast backline would be my way to go.
The same tactics we have to confront against most Sydney based sides, played in Canberra type conditions. An interesting combination. Off topic, the cook tells me to wish you a belated happy birthday for yesterday Bourbs!

Not much difference to playing the Bulldogs in the grand final then,the boys are used to cheap shots they get enough of them here,they can handle it !!
sliat_1981
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Here's a page to petition to have it played at neutral or rotating host http://www.facebook.com/groups/62777043760/
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news-d ... enge/65977

NRL Premiers Melbourne Storm will play English Super League Premiers Leeds Rhinos in the World Club Challenge on Friday 22 February 2013 at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.
Melbourne Storm will take a full strength squad to the UK for the World Club Challenge match, with the game a key part of Storm’s final preparations leading into the 2013 NRL Premiership season.
Storm will depart Australia for the UK on Tuesday 12 February and will spend time training and preparing for the match in London before travelling to Leeds.
Melbourne Storm and the Leeds Rhinos have already met twice in the World Club Challenge, in 2008 and 2010, with one win apiece. This will be Storm’s fourth appearance on the world stage.
Melbourne Storm GM Football, Frank Ponissi, said the team was looking forward to the challenge of being back to play for the World Club Challenge trophy.
“We are looking forward to heading to Leeds and testing ourselves against the current super league premiers,” Ponissi said.
“We value this game highly and will be looking to give ourselves the best chance to claim another World Club Challenge title, against a powerhouse club who have won five of the last six super league premierships.”
Become a member for 2013! Join our team here

Leeds Rhinos Chief Executive Gary Hetherington said: “We had a sell out crowd last season and the interest in this game is extremely high already. The chance to see players like Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith play at Headingley Carnegie is also an obvious attraction and I am sure the World Club Challenge will be the perfect way to kick off a massive year for the sport with the World Cup coming to England later in the year".
The Rhinos beat 2011 premiers Manly at a sell out Headingley Carnegie in 2012 and demand for tickets for next year’s match is expected to be high again.
Tickets will go on general sale at 9am (GMT) Tuesday 4 December online at www.therhinos.co.uk or through the RFL at www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk
Melbourne Storm will also announce travel packages in the coming weeks, to register your interest and for the first opportunity to book, click here
So the World Club Challenge has been announced for Friday 22 February at Headingley. So will be early morning of Saturday 23 February Australian time.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm glad we are taking a full strength squad to this game. I think the WCC is a great reward for winning the GF. The players would want to test themselves against the SL club (even taking into account they are both playing with a new year squad). As a fan I want the Storm to come home with that trophy!

It would be nice if it alternated between hosts, but it would probably have to be in January to happen before the SL season started and that would be too early for the NRL club who would still be in the middle of pre-season.

Go over and do us proud Stormboys!
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Looks like we will be playing the Raiders (possibly in Geelong) prior to the WCC
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I thought it was already announced are playing the Raiders in Bega.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Meanwhile the Rhino's ::) ,(who get a huge home ground advantage AGAIN), will be three weeks into their regular 2013 season.
Leeds' round four game against Widnes, moved from February 22 to accommodate the champions' World Club Challenge clash with Melbourne

And I suppose as per previous years - 'some mystery person' will pass on team hotel details to the Rhinos ratbag fan element,who will then make lots of late night drama outside the hotel :evil:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields