Prelim Final Friday Sep 21: Melbourne v Manly

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mattstormy wrote:As much as the video refs were abysmal in awarding the second Michael Oldfield try, the Cowboys lost the game themselves. I lost count at the amount of nothing kicks from JT, Hail Mary plays that went absolutely nowhere and Brent Tate's selfishness to not give the ball to an unmarked Ashley Graham who would have scored in the corner to get the Cowboys back in the game was the difference in the end.

I just hope that the Storm does not fall into the same game style the Cowboys were playing against the Sea Eagles.
Wow,someone who understands refs dont win games

Didnt think that existed
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I believe the NRL wants a Manly/Bulldog grand final. The Sydney media have going on about this being the grand final they want to see. If it is a Storm/Bulldogs grand final, the amount of rubbish that will be in the media before the game about salary cap cheating will be unbearable.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am sure that the NRL would LOVE to see a Manly / Canterbury GF.

However, anyone who thinks that the referees might be bent or are deliberately making decisions at the instruction of the NRL to bring about this match up probably also believe in UFO's, a 2nd shooter from behind the grassy knoll, Big Foot and the Bermuda Triangle.

Referees make mistakes.

Has always happened and always will while humans do the job.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I have no issue the on field refs making the occasional mistake, they have to make spur of the moment decisions under pressure so they're bound to make some. As you said SS they're human and we all make mistakes.

All that said though those blokes in the box have no such excuses when they have the advantage of seeing decisions over and over again yet still get them so blatantly wrong, all while hiding behind the ridiculous BOD ruling to try and justify it. There's just no making excuses for the VR to get them so wrong so often and that's why people get so pissed off at them and the whole system in general.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Cherry_Poppins wrote:Wow,someone who understands refs dont win games

Didnt think that existed
Refs don't win 'em - Refs don't lose 'em - Teams do - End of Story.

Like I said elsewhere
Really I don't give a shit which team wins this Friday,(though I have tagged the NQC on an O/S forum).
I'll back which ever 17 Stormers Craig picks for the task the following Friday.
And a don't want to hear any "I can't make it because it's a work day" crap OK :evil:
I'll see you there Friday ;)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:I have no issue the on field refs making the occasional mistake, they have to make spur of the moment decisions under pressure so they're bound to make some. As you said SS they're human and we all make mistakes.

All that said though those blokes in the box have no such excuses when they have the advantage of seeing decisions over and over again yet still get them so blatantly wrong, all while hiding behind the ridiculous BOD ruling to try and justify it. There's just no making excuses for the VR to get them so wrong so often and that's why people get so pissed off at them and the whole system in general.

Yes Ice....must agree that Vid refs seem to have a problem with what appears to be "guessing" in some situaitons.

Some BOD rulings are very"grey" in my opinion.

I would like to see Vid refs being a little more judicious in their rulings, however you would think that they are affected by optical illusions and difficulties with depth perspective on tape which might make the job harder than it seems.

MAYBE the only way around it is for the central Refs to award all decisions in real life speed.

That way...the central Refs may get it wrong, but at least it is done in the heat of the moment, at full speed (without super slomos).

There would still be heaps of mistakes...probably more IMO...but no one could argue that the vid Ref has stuffed it up.
Last edited by Storm Spirit on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

My CHAMPION TEAM will be focused for the game against the refs in the prelim final.I think we will be lucky cos simplekins won`t be in the video ref seat after he did a great job getting rid of cowgirls.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote:
Yes Ice....must agree that Vid refs seem to have a problem with what appears to be "guessing" in some situaitons.

Some BOD rulings are very"grey" in my opinion.

I would like to see Vid refs being a little more judicious in their rulings, however you would think that they are affected by optical illusions and difficulties with depth perspective on tape which might make the job harder than it seems.

MAYBE the only way around it is for the central Refs to award all decisions in real life speed.

That way...the central Refs may get it wrong, but at least it is done in the heat of the moment, at full speed (without super slomos).

There would still be heaps of mistakes...probably more IMO...but no one could argue that the vid Ref has stuffed it up.
I totally agree that all decisions should all be viewed in real time as well because many of them aren't. Slowing them down and going frame by frame can definitely sometimes give a false impression.

You can live with the 50-50 calls that could quite easily go either way and has to go one way because you get some of those and sometimes you don't. It's the 80-20, the 70-30 or whatever majority percentage plays they just get plain wrong that are the ones that cause so much frustration.

But anyway lets hope we don't see any more of that shit next week and the team that wins goes through solely on merit and nothing else.
roberttuz

Worst possible result us having to play Manly. Even if we win it will be a battle that will probably leave lots of injuries/suspensions.

The two clubs hate each other and there will be no prisoners!!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

roberttuz wrote:Worst possible result us having to play Manly. Even if we win it will be a battle that will probably leave lots of injuries/suspensions.

The two clubs hate each other and there will be no prisoners!!
Oh well, Manly will have all the off-season to lick their wounds
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hmm - I normally don't see the dribble posted by our resident numbnut but since GS 'quoted it ::)

I guess there will always be a prisoner here since 'roberttuz' spends all his time
As for Friday - 80 minutes of honest RL will see a justified entrant to GF 2012 Image
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I wonder if many even watched last night's game. Honestly I thought the reffing was ok.
There was two major f'ups:
1 was Manly player stripped but ref called it a knock on, result was a Cowboys try from scrum.
The other was Manly's 4th try, which was a disgraceful call from video ref. Foran definitely knocked ball forward.
These decisions did not affect final score.

I don't think Manly played brilliantly, and the Cowboys were crap (ESP first half).
They did defend very well, however. But if we play like we did last week against Sths we will smash them!!!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Your kidding right ? Taufua's try wasn't a try. Then he grounded the ball in the ingoal but got a way with it, should of been a drop out. Then Foran clearly touched the ball. The Manly knock on/ Cowboys strip is always 50/50 and its up to what the ref thinks he saw..it happens every game. The decisions did effect the final score as it was 12-12 and two crucial calls cost the Cows any chance of winning.
roberttuz

Yeah I hate how people say look at the final score, that try that was given didn't effect the result.

The biggest thing is sport is MOMENTUM - it can kill a team when it happens. It happened to the Cowboys last night.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Taufua was stripped and a forward pass got them across the tryline from the resulting plays

Taufua's try was the very reason for a benefit of the doubt call

Foran most likely touched the ball

Take six away from both teams and MANLY still win