Widdop - we must sign him NOW!!

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Michael :P wrote:I think he'll stay, Id expect him to stay. I also expect a club to put a massive offer to him and test his resolve.
Depends what's left in the pot!!! They cannot spend what they don't have.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

BigG wrote:
Michael :P wrote:I think he'll stay, Id expect him to stay. I also expect a club to put a massive offer to him and test his resolve.
Depends what's left in the pot!!! They cannot spend what they don't have.

True, which is why i hope Parra didnt make us increase Duffs paypacket to leave us short for Gareth.

...and this coming from you Big G has me worried.
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

No reason why I should be worrying you Noa, just stating what I believe to be fact after last years fallout.

Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In-form Melbourne five-eighth Gareth Widdop says the Storm's new crop of youngsters can help create a new dynasty at the NRL club. Widdop was outstanding against Penrith on Sunday along with Jesse Bromwich, Matt Duffie and Kevin Proctor - all members of the Storm's 2009 Toyota Cup-winning team.

Having been found guilty of breaching the salary cap by the NRL last year, the Storm were forced to offload several big names such as Greg Inglis, Ryan Hoffman, Dallas Johnson and Brett Finch. It forced coach Craig Bellamy to turn his attentions to the club's youngsters and Widdop believes having so many familiar faces alongside him is helping both him and the team.

"Having four or five players that came through the under-20s makes it easier for us younger lads as we know each other's game," Widdop told AAP. "There are five or six players from that grand final-winning team who are in this squad and it shows what a great breeding ground for talent this club is.

"There are a lot of good players in this side and although it is only round six, but we do feel as if we are a team who can be there or thereabouts this year and the feeling around the place is good. "The players that have left were world class players and they are big shoes to fill, but we are pleased to be given the chance by Craig to take over from them and so far it has gone well."

England international Widdop moved to Melbourne with his family from Halifax in 2006 and would love to see more of his countrymen ply their trade in the NRL. With Sam Burgess and Gareth Ellis rated as two of the best backrowers in the game, the 20-year-old believes the England international team would be bolstered by an influx of their players Down Under.

St Helens prop James Graham has been widely tipped to join Canterbury at the start of next season and Widdop said the chance to play against the best players in the world should be embraced by more. "It is nice to see the likes of Gaz (Ellis) big Sam going well here and it would be nice to see some more out here, as I think we (England team) could do with it," he said.

"I have learned so much from playing alongside Coops (Cooper Cronk), Billy (Slater) and Cam Smith, and having guys there who can take control of the game has given me the chance to play my game. "The Super League is a good league and has some very good players but it would be nice to see more of us Poms playing down here."

I'm as confident of re-signing Gareth as what i was the Duff man. We're (re)building something special down here once again and i'll be very surprised if Widdop doesn't want to be a part of that. Of course he'll get offered more money elsewhere but so did Duffie and being so young they'll have plenty of time to earn the big bucks down the track.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

please disreguard what i wrote in my last post about Gareths family...i just recieved a message from a friend of gareth and his parents his parents are happily married living in Melbourne

So much for me thinking i know everything
Anyway if Gary or Joanne ever read what i wrote b4 and now i just want to say im sorry and gareth is fantastic and we all want him to stay :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:In-

I'm as confident of re-signing Gareth as what i was the Duff man. We're (re)building something special down here once again and i'll be very surprised if Widdop doesn't want to be a part of that. Of course he'll get offered more money elsewhere but so did Duffie and being so young they'll have plenty of time to earn the big bucks down the track.
Im led to believe in the end we upped our bid too match Parra's.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Given the amount of players and talent we have off contract and the ones we've just re-signed with the money we have to work with as opposed to the lack of talent and plenty of money Parra reportedly have, I doubt very much we'd have been able to or would've matched them dollar for dollar.

I mean if that were the case I hardly think it wouldve been such a long drawn out decision for him to make. I know he's close to Mooks and Authur but he sounds like he's every bit as close to Bellyache not to mention all of the players. Also let's face it, he's a hell of a lot better chance of winning a title here than what he is there so you'd have to think it was a no brainer decision if it was for the same money.

But either way the only ones that would know are he and those involved in negotiations so we'll never know for sure anyway.

stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I had worried that he might be tempted by being offered a No. 1 jersey, but he had a blinder at 6 this weekend.

I haven't heard him complain about being behind Billy for FB, nor has there been any other club rumours - which is all good.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Ice wrote:
Geez thanks Einstein, without that insightful info i'm sure the club would've let him slip through our fingers ::)
Nothing like freedom of speech!!!!!..well done "heraldsun1" you have started a great topic here and one that I suppose every body is interested in,we all would like to keep Gareth Widdop ,and will all be cosely watching the outcome of his talks with the Storm Heirachy in the next few weeks ( hopefully days).