First final...

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Joe_Storm_FB_2025
Squall
Squall

Really I thought the crowd figure of about 21,500 was very dissapointing. This was the GF rematch and of huge importance.

I'd have hoped that there was more tbh

Not trying to 'cause any angst but will the next final or the new stadium really draw more to it.?
[quote="billythekidslater"]
Yeah I am a troll. [/quote]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Preliminary final in 2007 against the Eels drew a crowd of 33,427 so I definitely would expect more for our next final.
MtVaeaG
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I thought it was a good turnout had a good atmosphere and very vocal, i honestly thought there would be 15,000 max! with the afl finals next door but was a good turnout..
Bullets wrote: Manly are laughing if they are coming to Melbourne to play at Eithad Stadium.

Won't we just get the same amount of people but at a much bigger stadium? with zero atmosphere?
Yeah they're really laughing now 40 points later..
Joe_Storm_FB_2025
Squall
Squall

Surandy wrote: Preliminary final in 2007 against the Eels drew a crowd of 33,427 so I definitely would expect more for our next final.
So do I.

Maybe many thought we'd just lose and stayed away. They'd better have more confidence now!

:D
[quote="billythekidslater"]
Yeah I am a troll. [/quote]
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We would have got alot more if there  was'nt an AFL final on at the same time.

If we can get our next final to not clash with the AFL,

we will get alot of the woodwork supporters who take interest , but dont go often,  coming along to their first , second or third game of the year,

Thats what happened in the parra game, the interest in the Storm goes through the roof around finals time.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I was very disappointed with the crowd. They were hoping for 30k, and I thought we would easily get 25k.
21k was poor.
Don't anyone kid themselves by saying we would have got more if there wasn't an AFL game on. Western Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions are pathetic clubs with regards to drawing crowds.
I guess it shows that next year, we can expect 18k-plus as an average crowd for a H&A game.
For what it's worth I thought the crowd made the noise of a 40K crowd. Atmoshpere doesn't automatically translate into crowd numbers.
Last edited by tugga on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 premiers. Legit.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

tugga wrote: I was very disappointed with the crowd. They were hoping for 30k, and I thought we would easily get 25k.
21k was poor.
Don't anyone kid themselves by saying we would have got more if there wasn't an AFL game on. Western Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions are pathetic clubs with regards to drawing crowds.
I guess it shows that next year, we can expect 18k-plus as an average crowd for a H&A game.
For what it's worth I thought the crowd made the noise of a 40K crowd. Atmoshpere doesn't automatically translate into crowd numbers.
Actually the crowd was just under 22,000 and I thought it was a good turnout tbh.
Considering the afl crowd at the MCG only got 46,000 we have just about halved it...not bad for rugby league in Melb.
The crowd were awesome and it did feel like 40,000 at the game.
Cheaper tickets for kids could attract more people to our next game.
For what its worth, at work there were 2 unhappy doggies (afl style) supporters who would have attended our game, if the afl wasn't scheduled the same night.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

CooperCronk wrote:Actually the crowd was just under 22,000 and I thought it was a good turnout tbh.
21,155 was the listed crowd figure that I read.

Edit: confirmation http://www.austadiums.com/sport/event.php?eventid=9511
Last edited by Surandy on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

CooperCronk wrote:
tugga wrote: I was very disappointed with the crowd. They were hoping for 30k, and I thought we would easily get 25k.
21k was poor.
Actually the crowd was just under 22,000 and I thought it was a good turnout tbh.
Considering the afl crowd at the MCG only got 46,000 we have just about halved it...not bad for rugby league in Melb.
For what its worth, at work there were 2 unhappy doggies (afl style) supporters who would have attended our game, if the afl wasn't scheduled the same night.
Fair enoug.
Did channel 9 televise the game live int he end? When I got home at 11.50pm it the telecast wwas at the 20 minute mark of the 1st half.
2012 premiers. Legit.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

tugga wrote:
CooperCronk wrote:
21k was poor.
Fair enoug.
Did channel 9 televise the game live int he end? When I got home at 11.50pm it the telecast wwas at the 20 minute mark of the 1st half.
I rang Ch.9 friday morning and they told me that the game was being shown at 11.00 pm so I taped it and ch.9 did the right thing and even had all the after match reports and went into the rooms, etc.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

why wouldn't the NRL be down in the Melbourne CBD at 7.30pm on Friday night handing out freebies just to get people through the gate.

no revenue but bums on seats for TV and future converts are priceless ...or am i missing something  ??? ???
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Did they show it live though?
2012 premiers. Legit.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm Spirit wrote: why wouldn't the NRL be down in the Melbourne CBD at 7.30pm on Friday night handing out freebies just to get people through the gate.

no revenue but bums on seats for TV and future converts are priceless ...or am i missing something  ??? ???
I think that would be up to the Storm to hand out some freebies...as the Doggies did for the El Masri game.
I agree with your thoughts though.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I ended up getting a freebie. Refused to pay $25 for a seat I wasn't going to use ( I like standing up) so I didn't book during the members priority period and just went to buy a ticket at 5.30pm on Friday. Didn't want to pay $5.50 booking fee for a seat I was never going to use so chose to buy a ticket at teh ground.
As  I was waiting in line to buy a $25 ticket, some guy gave me a free one. He had won some tickets with Fox FM and had already bought tickets and gave me one of them.
2012 premiers. Legit.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

21k was poor.
Do not agree with your comment, the Bulldogs & Lions have averaged over 30,000 attendance at home games this year alone so that's not pathetic at all.  The official figure for their game is 47,030.  Pretty small crowd for a final admittedly but they will always beat NRL figures.
I know many people who would have come to see Storm play but the AFL won out.  You also have to take into account that facilities are much better at Docklands and that has a large bearing on people coming to see us play.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!