McLean Report

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Rugby league isn't soft, nor is AFL.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree with tugga (I despise afl tho) but the difference is that the AFL have been pandering to the mothers, the media etc in terms of safety and being all about welfare for many many years and the NRL only just started doing the same last year when they banned the shoulder charge and are trying desperately to catch up.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

LESStar58 wrote:Agree with tugga (I despise afl tho) but the difference is that the AFL have been pandering to the mothers, the media etc in terms of safety and being all about welfare for many many years and the NRL only just started doing the same last year when they banned the shoulder charge and are trying desperately to catch up.
The NRL is at least a decade behind the AFL in so many ways.
The idea of club membership has only just caught on in NRL. In the AFL, if you have 40,000 members, it's considered a low number.
Playing games at the antiquated suburban grounds. They still have rope-pull toilets at Leichardt for goodness sake. God help you if you want to take your wife and two kids to that ground.
Anyway, I am off topic.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

NRL Judiciary frustrates Knights

Thu 3rd April, 04:00PM

The Newcastle Knights is frustrated with the inconsistencies in relation to the NRL Judiciary following Jordan McLean’s seven-week suspension.

Firstly, the Club takes great offence to suggestions Alex McKinnon contributed to his injury when he was totally helpless in a three-man tackle and left with no ability to protect himself.

Secondly, the Club is disappointed only McLean was charged. His defence acknowledged the involvement of his two teammates in the tackle contributed to Alex's injury, however they have escaped penalty.

Thirdly, the Club applaud the NRL’s decision to postpone the hearing while everyone focused on Alex’s recovery, however found it insensitive McLean was permitted to play before Wednesday's hearing.

Finally, while the Club understands the length of suspension was always going to polarize opinion, the major disappointment lies in the grave inconsistencies of gradings, especially in comparison to recent cases.

The Club agrees there are no winners in this matter and will continue to lobby the NRL to drive change so this devastating event doesn't occur again.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

They can take offence all they want. The tragic fact (and I emphasise tragic) is that Alex contributed to it by tucking his chin into his own neck. Was he responsible? No. Nobody is even inferring that. 'Contrinuted to' and 'responsible' are two totally different things.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Thought the Knights had handled the situation well until that statement. Fancy wanting to maintain respect and privacy for McKinnon by dragging the issue into the media again... The Club can take as great offence as they like but they should stfu when it comes to matters that don't involve them. I'm sure they will happily allow Beau Scott to be given suspensions for each of his tackles in the same game. Can't say that I agree with a single one of their points. This statement achieves absolutely nothing positive for them
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That statement really pisses me off.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

So let me get this strait unless the players can shoulder and lift in a tackle its soft. All can say is I have hit in tackles without those thins happening and it still has rung the bells I don't think your ribs are meant to touch ever. Hard does not have to mean dangerous some of the hardest tackles are not dangerous but just well time with force and commitment. The real issue here that one player working within the rules (being able to lift the leg of the ground and the tackle or tackles not being call held by the ref) has ended up in a terrible accident and this player is the only one call to account. In any OHS incident/duty of care which this is where as practicable provide a safe work environment. They the NRL changed the rules for shoulder charge and diving in at the legs one of these would be consider a high risk move the other medium to low the nature of the possible injury dictating the level of risk. Now here is my point why has the NRL changed the rules for a low to medium risk when every week we see players every week lifted into dangerous position (yes if the ref call hell when one foot is of the ground eg BN or the many other tackles before that in other games) are we still at this point. I don't think so and two players do not pay the price. I don't go to the games to see pain I go to see tough physical and mental wins by the best team in the comp a little bias but there you go purple blood. Back on track now their has been no instructions sent to referees no NRL statement that they need to look at it only one player singled out as the scapegoat when the NRL could off made such a differents for player safety god knows that can make quick decisions when they want too. That is why we must fight it for JM (even if we loose) the NRL like not being the employer and making the calls. Not stand is agreeing. PS the refs have a duty of care within the rules to protect players that night they fell short not for tackle but the ones before they let go if fight breaks out they don't just walk away and pretend it didn't happen do they. Feel free to correct me if you like. The statement just support for their player as so we should then we come to right outcome.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Knights didnt need to make the statement. We dont want a slinging match now
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Willie mason said on 360 that all clubs lift but they stop the tackle if they put a player in a dangerous position but Storm push it the nth degree.
thinking with little head again Willie. Are the knights trying to turn all the clubs against us even more. Karl S.(Today) showed the NRL rep a couple of dangerous lifts and they were both from the dogs.Karl said they were 10 times worse than JM tackle.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

nacho wrote:Knights didnt need to make the statement. We dont want a slinging match now
Did I say we need to respond to the Knights! No but we do need to force change. The NRL expects everyone to do nothing all the time. Most do not agree so do nothing that makes sense I guess. Even the Knights would agree something has to change not just punishment after the fact.
It dose not have to be a sling match but just the facts and all the facts would be nice. You as an engineer with enough time I think I could work out the percentage of responsibility for all parties not JM and they could share the 7 weeks would be fairer than three guys taking a guess. Its just wrong and needs fixing. I feel for JM its not justice. As for Alex I hope we pass the bag around on Sunday not because it was storm player involved but a league family member that need help.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/sto ... ld+sun_rss

Not liking the last line of this article...looks like the mckiinons might sue...that scares me
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Thought it was always on the cards Sal..NRL made sure that Jordan and club will be in the position to be sued.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Newcastle can EAD
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

It has been a week of hell for the McLean family. Yesterday Jordan`s brother has been sentenced to 3 yrs jail for a single punch attack.