Test captain Cameron Smith chasing deal to make rugby league

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:He's not going anywhere.
This.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Quote from yesterday at Langlands park....

Kid mum: when will u move up here then
Kid: yeh come up here and play
Cam Smith: I'll come up here one day and play but not yet

Not yet as in not this year or not yet im signing with the storm so not for a few years lol
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

had some guys in front of me at the game who seemed in with the brisbane bombers, they were talking to each other like they had inside goss about cam staying with melbourne. i know its nothing but i'm holding onto it strongly wanting him to stay
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbou ... 6839869151

Melbourne Storm’s coaching carrot part of deal offered to skipper Cameron Smith

CAMERON Smith will be groomed to succeed Craig Bellamy as Melbourne coach, as part of the multifaceted contract the Storm’s owners have offered to keep the Test captain at the club.
As Smith continues to mull over what is likely to be the final deal of his career, Melbourne’'s powerful ownership consortium have moved to secure their captain by assembling a deal laced with post-football opportunities.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the scope of the club-record $4m-plus contract will involve business mentoring, but also give Smith the ability to parlay his football brain into NRL coaching.

Last week, Bellamy spoke of his plans for retirement, admitting his current deal with the Storm, which expires at the end of 2016, would almost certainly be his final coaching contract.

Smith is a key plank in Melbourne’s succession plan for life after Bellamy.

Mindful of the huge void Bellamy’s eventual departure will leave, Melbourne’s co-owners want Smith to uphold the cultural standards that have made Storm an NRL powerhouse.

Brisbane remain interested in luring Smith for 2015, but Melbourne believe a number of inducements, including consultancy and coaching opportunities, will stave off the Broncos.

“Cameron has been very loyal to us. I’ve never been worried before about losing Cameron. It is in the Storm culture,” said co-owner Gerry Ryan, who with Bart Campbell, Michael Watt and Matthew Tripp purchase the club last May.

“Cameron definitely has coaching potential here. He’s had the perfect mentor in Craig Bellamy and he’s indicated it’s a path he may wish to pursue and we’d support that.

“I know he will make a good coach at Melbourne, no question.

“Now that we are independently owned from News Corp, we are developing a business network and looking at providing opportunities for Cameron in Melbourne after football.

“There are media and business opportunities, but if he so wishes, Cameron can develop and mentor players at this club.

“He would be great in that role.”

Bellamy told The Courier-Mail last week: “I’ll be retiring after this one, I don’t think I’ll be going much longer past this contract.”

A four-year commitment to Melbourne would tie Smith to the club until the end of 2017.

By then, he would be 34, two years younger than Trent Robinson when the rookie coach steered the Roosters to the title last season.

Co-owner Ryan has known Smith since his arrival in Melbourne as a 19-year-old in 2002 and understands the family considerations now confronting the Storm skipper.

“Cameron deserves to make the right decision for his family, but we’re determined to keep him,” he said.

“I’ve watched Cameron go from a young man to a father who has had his three children grow up in Melbourne.

“Barbara (Smith’s wife) has been very supportive of Cameron for a long time down here but we’d like to think as a club we have always been supportive of them.

“We have our financial restrictions, but Bart Campbell is a very good operator and he hasn’t got to where he has without putting some deals together.”

----------

Many have long held the dream of Smith taking the coaching job from Bellamy when he decided to finish up... Hopefully that dream is now one step closer to reality.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think we need a better concession plan of just Smith will eventually take over from Bellamy. Not many/if any players can just jump into coaching after retirement and be successful. You also have contemplate Cam eventually wanting to move back to QLD.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It makes sense (to me anyway) that if this is true, why it's taking him longer to make his decision than what it would if it were just a 'simple' case of deciding whether to stay here or not playing. He's obviously weighing up staying in Melbourne for years after his playing days are done and with a young family to consider, especially the kids growing up away from their grandparents then i can understand why he's taken his time on it. Some others will surely disagree but that's just my opinion.

It doesn't bother me at all that it's taken this long because i've always been confident he'll stay and more so now than ever.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:It makes sense (to me anyway) that if this is true, why it's taking him longer to make his decision than what it would if it were just a 'simple' case of deciding whether to stay here or not playing. He's obviously weighing up staying in Melbourne for years after his playing days are done and with a young family to consider, especially the kids growing up away from their grandparents then i can understand why he's taken his time on it. Some others will surely disagree but that's just my opinion.

It doesn't bother me at all that it's taken this long because i've always been confident he'll stay and more so now than ever.
Agreed 100%.

I would expect Smith to have a stint as an Assistant. Hopefully Craig will stick around to facilitate that.

Personally I don't see Smith retiring before the end of the 2018 season (he would be 35 by then). He has had an amazing run with injuries, missing very few games across a 12 year career in first grade. His durability is one of his best assets and should hold him in good stead to play until he is at least 34.

Craig isn't that old, I just don't think he wants to do it for decades like Bennett. From all reports, Craig is the first one at the club each day and one of the last to leave. His days are exceptionally long and I imagine he wants to spend quality time with the family... As much as I would love him to stick around forever, I cannot begrudge him for that.

A caretaker coach to cover any gap between Bellamy retiring and Smith taking up the head coaching gig, is not ideal. By all accounts though, Smith could step into a head coaching role right now and be successful (he regularly runs video and skills sessions). Will be interesting to see how the club plays things out...
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

And billy his assistant ;-)
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Here's a scenario:

Cam re-signs with Melbourne until the end of 2016, where he retires after the end of that contract at 33 years old. In 2015 and 2016, Cam is given more of a captain/assistant coaching role to ease him into 2017 as part of a succession plan involving Bellyache retiring from coaching at the end of 2016.

Billy also retires at the end of 2016 after signing a one year extention to his current contract (also 33 years old) and becomes an assistant coach.

Coops signs on with the Storm for a one year extention in 2017 (after the end of his current end of 2016 contract) and becomes captain for one season (guiding and mentoring a new captain in waiting for 2018) and after this retires at 33 years old (almost 34) and becomes an assistant coach.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I`m thinking we might need a bigger coaches box.
Rina
Squall
Squall

I can see Billy promoting the sport going to schools around Victoria after he retires while doing a media role.
...Or they could all move back to QLD :lol:
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Start working on the statue for out the front of AAMI Park now.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

absentee wrote:Start working on the statue for out the front of AAMI Park now.
I can see the need for a few statues by the time they've finished. I don't think I need to name anyone.