Cooper Cronk in origin 3

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Maroons call on Coope Cronk as Origin cover for Karmichael Hunt
Matt Marshall, Steve Ricketts | July 07, 2009
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/spor ... 09,00.html

COOPER Cronk will today be drafted into Queensland's Origin Game III camp amid fears Karmichael Hunt has played his last Origin game.
The Melbourne Storm halfback, who made his Test debut in 2007 but is yet to play an Origin game, will provide cover for the busted Broncos fullback who is battling an ankle problem.

Hunt, who is set to announce a move overseas following next week's Origin game, is racing the clock ahead of the Maroons' bid for a series clean-sweep at Suncorp Stadium.

Hunt's ankle injury rubbed him out of last Friday night's NRL win over the Warriors.

He is not expected to be fit to train until later this week and there are genuine fears he could be ruled out.

Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris said Maroons medical officer Dr Roy Saunders and that Hunt, hooker Cameron Smith (shoulder) and second-rower Ashley Harrison (ribs) would be fit to play.

Morris said the selectors and coach Mal Meninga also had been told it was likely all three would be able to begin full training by day three of the Maroons camp.

Queensland will go into camp in Brisbane today and transfer to the Gold Coast on Friday.

Morris said Hunt's much publicised likely switch to rugby union did not come into the equation when the selection panel deliberated yesterday.

"He has been part of our program for a number of years and we're not about to drop him because of something he might do down the track," Morris said.

"We know Karmichael will be as good as he can be. He will never take it easy in a Queensland jumper whatever his future plans."

Morris said Queensland was determined to make a clean sweep of the series and effectively ruled out experimenting with players in Game III or recalling veteran Wendell Sailor.

"Wendell would certainly add to the dynamics of the team and would be a drawcard," Morris said.

"But the game is a sell-out and certainly doesn't need promoting.

"We have been nurturing guys like Dave Shillington, Matt Scott and Neville Costigan who have been 18th men. A few years ago we didn't have that many players to draw on, but now we can look ahead with some confidence."

Veteran Maroons prop Petero Civoniceva (foot) was never going to be available for Game III but Bulldogs prop Ben Hannant had hoped to be considered despite the medial ligament injury he suffered in Origin II.

Yesterday Morris put an end to the Hannant comeback talk.

"It would have been a big risk to play with a serious injury like that," Morris said.

"We would prefer he does the full recovery before playing again. We want to pick a side to win."

With Nate Myles ruled out, Scott is likely to start in the front row, with Shillington and Costigan named on the bench.
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Awww YAY for Cooper!!!

It's a damn shame injuries have finally lead to Cooper being considered for Origin.

If he is selected, let's hope he has a blinder on debut!!!
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

OMG!!!! I'm so happy for Cooper!! Ahhhhhhhhhh. Now i'm gonna cry!! Hehehehe!!

....is this true though? The quotes are on how they aren't dropping Hunt.
Last edited by I love Cooper on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

he's in as cover for Hunt if he doesn't come up from his injury
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

QUEENSLAND Rugby League (QRL) Chairman John McDonald today announced the XXXX Maroons team for Game 3 of the Harvey Norman State of Origin Series.
XXXX Queensland Maroons

1. BILLY SLATER (MELBOURNE STORM)
2. DARIUS BOYD (ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS)
3.  GREG INGLIS (MELBOURNE STORM)
4. JUSTIN HODGES (BRISBANE BRONCOS)
5. WILLIE TONGA (NORTH QLD COWBOYS)
6. DARREN  LOCKYER (c) (BRISBANE BRONCOS)
7. JOHNATHAN THURSTON (NORTH QLD COWBOYS)
8. STEVEN PRICE (NZ  WARRIORS)
9. CAMERON SMITH (MELBOURNE STORM)
10. MATT SCOTT (NORTH QLD COWBOYS)
11. ASHLEY HARRISON (GOLD COAST TITANS)
12. SAM THAIDAY (BRISBANE BRONCOS)
13. DALLAS JOHNSON (MELBOURNE STORM)

INTERCHANGE
14. KARMICHAEL HUNT (BRISBANE BRONCOS)
15. NEVILLE COSTIGAN (ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS)
16. DAVID SHILLINGTON (CANBERRA RAIDERS)
17. MICHAEL CROCKER (SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS)
18. COOPER CRONK (MELBOURNE STORM)
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

steaming stormer wrote: 17. MICHAEL CROCKER (SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS)
Grrr seeing that team next to his name is a mere twist of the knife!
steaming stormer wrote: 18. COOPER CRONK (MELBOURNE STORM)
That's better though :)

I have a feeling Karmichael will do anything to be ready - considering this could be his last Origin game...
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He deserves rep honours more than anyone. He's usually the forgotten one with all the big names in our team.
I guess he could play hooker halves n probably lock.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

God i hope Hunt will hurry up and announce he is going to Union so we can drop him and give Cronk a run.

Cooper would do the job off the bench aswell as he would make a great utility player because he can actually defend
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Hodges is back - nooo. I don't care if he's a good player I can't stand him!!! Karmichael will play.. then get injured again. F**k! Hunt hasn't played since Origin 2 and they are seriously conisdering him.

Oh well. We can just hope Cronk edges through. He'll be there next year, for sure.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

i hope Coops gets a shot. Origin made slater, folau, cam and johnson more confident and better players...coops and the storm will benefit...not only QLD.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Now theres a deserved selection. Well done Coops....I'll try not to tear up like some posters.......too late.......... :'(
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well how many more years will lockyer be there? Prince is 31 so Cronk could be their future!
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

i am happy to see cooper cronk is going to be 18th man in origin 3, i just hope he gets a chance to play. He is one of the most consistant players in the NRL and it is good to see him getting rewarded for allhis hard work. Even know i am a NSW supporter i cant help but wish him all the best and i think by him getting a callupit will make him an even better player and boost his game even more.......  Also good to see brett white get another crack too, he will give the go forward that NSW needs. 

GO STORM in "09"   bring it home boys..

LATE MAIL GUYS.      DANNY WIDLER HAS JUST SAID THAT THERE IS SOME BIG INS AND OUTS FOR QLD AND ALL WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON THE FOOTY SHOW TONIGHT...    GO COOP!
Last edited by storma01 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WE ARE THE STORM FROM MELBOURNE TOWN! WE'LL BLOW THE OTHERS OFF THE GROUND, WE ARE THE STORM AND WERE NUMBER "1"
"99" "07" "09" :-)
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

GO HARD COOP! HOPE HE GETS A CRACK AT ORIGIN LEVEL. HE WOULD NOT LOOK OUT OF PLACE THATS FOR SURE.
WE ARE THE STORM FROM MELBOURNE TOWN! WE'LL BLOW THE OTHERS OFF THE GROUND, WE ARE THE STORM AND WERE NUMBER "1"
"99" "07" "09" :-)