Reni Maitua in negotiations with melbourne + others clubs

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

SACKED Bulldogs utility Reni Maitua intends playing with a club that will give him the best opportunity of breaking back into representative football next year.

After North Queensland cited salary-cap pressure in not signing him, it was believed the only choices left for Maitua, 26, were Super League in the UK or European rugby union.

But Maitua and his manager Sam Ayoub have four NRL clubs interested. They held meetings with Souths and Cronulla over the past two days and are still in negotiations with Gold Coast and Melbourne.

"I'll be making my decision based on what's best for my football in 2009," Maitua said.

"I have real hopes of playing rep football again. So with that in mind, and the number of clubs involved, I want to choose carefully."

I CAN SEE HIM COMING TO MELBOURNE STORM WHICH WOULD BE CRAZY AND IM NOT SURE WHICH WAY (GOOD OR BAD)
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

lets hope not.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

actully we need a bit of expirence in the centres so maybe he would do well

steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

he won't play centre
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

dont think it would be great, Tuamata needs sane people around him not someone to drag him back down, what with Reni saying he likes hanging out with the 'bra boys' not the influene we need at the club i think
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i recon he would come good down here but there is no way that we can afford him, obviously the club have a plan for that though
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

where would we put him? we are kinda full on positions now are we?
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I love Cooper wrote: where would we put him? we are kinda full on positions now are we?
were full in the backrow except alot of the boys are still fresh, i recon he'd get a run for sure, a regular first grader (and i use the word 'regular' lightly) who played for australia cant be bad for a club. except in reni's case, his track record is not pretty and would be a massive gamble for any club.
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

I would like him at our club.  We have a good track record with the bad boys of league and it would be good for him to get away from the northern states'
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Centre???

geez. he would have to be the last player alive on this planet for me to put him in my team ...dont see whats so great.

Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

onfield he is a good player,

If the price fits, they would have to look at him,

Providing he wants to turn around his off field attitude,

Bellamy wont stand for his crap.

Sometimes you can get these troubled players at the cross roads and turn them around.

Crocker was wayward before he came here.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

crocker wasnt as wayward as reni. for one he wasnt in a gang.

thats not the reason i dont want him at the club tho...we have had a few meat heads at our club that doesnt bother me...i just dont think he is that good on field. Or why he should get priority over any of the young guys who put in 110% for us last year during origin periods.

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Melbourne Storm make late play for in demand Reni Maitua
By Chris Wilson
December 28, 2008 RENI Maitua wants a new football home by the New Year, with Melbourne making a late entry in the race for the former international's signature.

While Cronulla and Souths still lead the chase for Maitua, the Storm are believed to be trying to clear salary-cap space for him. North Queensland Cowboys also retain interest in the 26-year-old.

Sacked by the Bulldogs, Maitua's preference is for a one-year deal and to join a strong club that will boost his representative goals.

Maitua's manager Sam Ayoub said that two of the four clubs had made offers, the Sharks a one-year offer and Souths weighing in with a three-year deal.

Cronulla and Souths administrators did not return calls from The Sunday Telegraph.

Maitua has ruled out playing in England for now.

"He'll be playing somewhere in the NRL in 2009, at this stage it's more about him weighing up what's going to be best for him," Ayoub said.

"It's one of those decisions that Reni's struggling with at the moment in the sense he wants to make the right one.

"The intention is to make a decision (this week), he wants to be training with a team when they resume in the New Year.

"At this stage we're leaning towards a one-year option because Reni's got his heart set on having a really big year and it would be in his best interests."

The Storm have emerged as the latest contenders, but only if they can find salary-cap room.

Melbourne have lost backrowers Michael Crocker and Jeremy Smith, while their pack will also be missing prop Antonio Kaufusi.

The Storm would need to off-load at least one player to squeeze Maitua in and it's understood they have been shopping around State of Origin winger Steve Turner.

"We haven't had a financial offer from them at this stage, but they've spoken to us two or three times," Ayoub said of Melbourne.

"They haven't been in a position to make a financial offer just yet, but they tell us that they're working on making some funds available."

Storm football manager Frank Ponissi confirmed an interest in Maitua.

"Down the track, if something did happen with our salary cap we would look at it because he's an excellent player," said Ponissi.

"After losing a few back-rowers he'd be a good acquisition for us, but at this point in time we couldn't entertain it. The big thing would be what (money) he'd be prepared to come for, so that's why it would be difficult for it to happen. Never say never, but it would be highly unlikely."

The Sharks are still waiting to close the book on Greg Bird's case, with rumours circulating this week that he spent Christmas in the US and would move straight on to Wigan

Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

.grrrrrrrr

routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

A quote from Waldron in the SMH today..

"We are not making a late run in a race for him at all," Waldron said. "Like everyone probably, we made some inquiries but we certainly have no intention … there is no room for Reni Maitua to join Melbourne at this stage. I can tell you that.
"As a player, there is some interest but there is no room in our cap for Reni Maitua as we sit here now."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/ma ... 30050.html