Melbourne v Manly GF - Back to Back?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
estormboy
Squall
Squall

After going to the game and watching the storm roll the sharks on Friday night I was impressed ... as Bellyache said, "we certainly didn't go out there to play attractive footy" but we got the job done.

Manly on the other hand, played exceptionally well .... they were very clinical and focussed.  They'll certainly be turning up next week with confidence.

Question .... With the media circus over the last few weeks, the judiciary and suspensions etc., do you think this will eventually catch up with us on the big stage - i.e. mental exhaustion as opposed to physical ??? 

I would love nothing more than to watch my Beloved Storm cruise to victory on Sunday night and claim the Premiership in the Centenary Year, not to mention the gloating rights that come with 3 Minor and B2B Premierships. 

Just thinking about the horror on the faces of the NRL  :o, Ray Hadley  :o, Warren Smith  :o et al & the Sydney Journos ( i use the term loosely)  :o  when they realise that despite the shite they have heaped on us, and no matter what they write about us or accuse us of, the history books will forever show that the team south of the border won the Centenary Year premiership.  Ahhh the joy and giddiness that would give me  ;D  ;D

However, I must say - that despite the bravado exihibited above, I am one nervous Stormer  :oops:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm vs Brisbane was the GF...

Storm have got it in the bag..
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

If I was a betting man and had to put my life savings on this game unfortunatly I would slightly favour Manly,

But before I get jumped on, that does'nt mean I dont think we are a chance, far from it,

Just think if you go on form( last 6 weeks), preperation, suspensions, injuries etc ,what else is there to go off?  they come come up smelling like roses compared to us,

But there is a thing called mental toughness, and this is where I really rate our boys,

There is two teams in the competition, and once the ball is kicked off , it is a new ball game
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Play the ball wrote: If I was a betting man and had to put my life savings on this game unfortunatly I would slightly favour Manly,

But before I get jumped on, that does'nt mean I dont think we are a chance, far from it,

Just think if you go on form( last 6 weeks), preperation, suspensions, injuries etc ,what else is there to go off?  they come come up smelling like roses compared to us,

But there is a thing called mental toughness, and this is where I really rate our boys,

There is two teams in the competition, and once the ball is kicked off , it is a new ball game
ATM I also slightly favour Manly.
They have the same desire that the Storm had last year. Plus I have no fiath in getting a fair go from the ref wich Manly will exploit through acting and niggleing.

Then again if any team can do it it is the Stormz. :D
Gotta be up by 12-16 points at half time though. :x
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
Didgi
Squall
Squall

After a clinical demolition of the Warriors on Sat, I think most people are slightly favouring Manly, but remember: The underdog won the AFL grand final, lets hope Storm turn out victorious.
[color=#0000FF]COW[/color][color=#FFFF40]BOYS[/color]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

This underdog status is a little confusing. 1st beat 3rd with a 28point margin. 2nd beat 8th with a 26point margin. Hardly seems correct.
Didgi
Squall
Squall

Yeah I agree with you Buzz, I think it's NSW people talking up chances & Storm were looking a little tired in 2nd half there at one stage, but Manly just put on a great display against brave Warriors.

It all doesn't matter, as we're gonna win anyway.
[color=#0000FF]COW[/color][color=#FFFF40]BOYS[/color]
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Buzz wrote: This underdog status is a little confusing. 1st beat 3rd with a 28point margin. 2nd beat 8th with a 26point margin. Hardly seems correct.
Being rated is over-rated IMO.
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the ref for this game is Archer, good for us i recon.

ps. can this be the official GF thread not like 10p93740813743 other grand final related threads
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Manly being favorites sits very comfortably with me. With all the talk up there of imploring people to get on the Manly bandwagon and doing it for NSW and the media talking our chances saying we're pretty much gone can only put pressure on Manly.

Not to mention the pressure of knowing if they lose this one will make it back to back losses would also have to be a fear. Of course these things might not affect them but there's always a chance it very well might.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Manly being favourite is perfectly justified IMO. have been far more settled in the finals, no injuries, no reports. Good form.
Storm look tired, injuries to Hoff and suspension to Cam.
All counts for nothing at kick-off though. Will be a close game. Can't wait.
2012 premiers. Legit.
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I would think it will suit Bellamy down to the ground to be relieved of the favourites tag,

Let the weight of expectation be placed upon Manly,

Like Matty Geyer said today, it would be a terrible feeling to lose two in a row,where do you go from there, ( nice bit of work Matty, start the mind games early ),

I also think Orfords ankle could be worse than they are letting on, he was in obvious pain, they usually  take more than a week to come 100% right, that could be crucial, his running game is important to them , if he is restricted to a catch and pass role , that would be a huge plus for us, not that he  is a noted big game player anyway, but he is very important to their structure.

And Russ Aitken, well , he could well be the guy that decides our fate, the rest of the side is fairly settled,and he is the guy with the biggest question mark over his head,  he has big shoes to fill, he did better than ok on the weekend I thought,

If he plays the game of his life and does his job, we go a long way to winning I believe, he is playing for his rugby league future, he has no club to play at next year at this stage , what a golden  oportunity for him,  to show the league world he is worth a contract.

Lets hope he has a blinder, for his and our sake.
Last edited by Play the ball on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

will be tough. Manly have been good all year, i reckon we have been slightly better.

defence will definately win this one...both teams have speedsters and good players...
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Bay 6 Yobbo
Squall
Squall

Yeah Manly favourites & fair enough too the way they have been playing of late.
And wouldn't the romantics love a Manly win in Beaver's last game.
It's worked out well for Orford. If they win, he caps a year where he somehow won the Dally M with a premiership. If they lose, he blames his ankle. Not the fact he sh1ts himself on big occasions.
What do we think? Brett White turning Matai and his bung shoulder into a speed hump on the first hit up would be good wouldn't it?!
The only thing faster than Billy Slater is the speed at which opposition fans leave Olympic Park after they lose!
Kaufusis Clan
Squall
Squall

Bay 6 Yobbo wrote: Yeah Manly favourites & fair enough too the way they have been playing of late.
And wouldn't the romantics love a Manly win in Beaver's last game.
It's worked out well for Orford. If they win, he caps a year where he somehow won the Dally M with a premiership. If they lose, he blames his ankle. Not the fact he sh1ts himself on big occasions.
What do we think? Brett White turning Matai and his bung shoulder into a speed hump on the first hit up would be good wouldn't it?!
Its Boofas last game too and he's not much pretty but at least his nose doesnt resemble the West Gate Bridge.
Kaufus Kaufus Kaufus is on the bike. HEY KAUFUS GIVE US A WAVE ! YEAHHHHHHHHHH