Family Day

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

lotti wrote: I know, what's the big idea giving us a Monday Night game in round 1?  We're the premiers for crying out loud we should be the other Friday Night one not the Titans Vs Cowboys.
thems' the breaks kiddo.
tits vs cowgirls would get more television audience and ground attendance, its all about the money with nrl
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

There's actually some good reasons for a Monday night game. Last year we got good crowds. It's our opening game of the season, against the Warriors. And we were premier's last year. All indications are we should have a bumper crowd! Then factor into the equation the ability of a large number of Victorians actually able to watch the game live on Foxtel, and not wait until 12:30am Saturday for the replay. We will be the only game of the day on Monday night. Not even Friday nights have that privilege any more!

Also factor in that this game will also be broadcast live on the MMM Network (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane).

Despite the fact it ruins my post game party plans, and despite the difficulty for families, and country fans, for workers and countless others who have issues, there are still some compelling reasons which the club probably liked. It does inconvenience me personally. Sometimes we need to acknowledge the bigger picture.
lotti

Monday Night isn't the only Foxtel shown game there's 3 shown on Saturday Night plus round 1 last year we had a Friday Night game and 9 showed it live.  I taped it, I was on the telecast.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Yes lotti. Having subscribed to Foxtel, I have stumbled across their amazingly extensive NRL coverage. Your complaint was with why not play on Friday night (not Saturday or Sunday). And yes, Nein could show the game live. Count for me how many times that happened last year? If Nein refused to guarantee the game would be live on a Friday night would it not be better for Storm to have it on a Monday when they are the only game on?

Again, talking about benefits for the club, not us as fans.
Silkin Storm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Monday night stinks I have kids & they need sleep It becomes an awfully late night for a school night.
And it alienates family involvement

Stamp stamp rant rave & all that shit
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

lotti wrote: I know, what's the big idea giving us a Monday Night game in round 1?  We're the premiers for crying out loud we should be the other Friday Night one not the Titans Vs Cowboys.
The Monday Night game is higher in the pecking order than the second Friday Night game.

The fixture allotment sequence goes as follows:

Friday Night live to NSW, delayed 2hrs in Qld (9)
Sunday 3pm delayed telecast (9)
Monday Night live nationwide (Fox Sports)
Friday Night live to Qld, delayed 2hrs in NSW (9)
And the rest go to Fox Sports for Super Saturday and the Sunday 2pm fixture

Besides, why on earth would the people of Queensland want to see Storm v Warriors live on Nein?  And would the people in NSW stick around after the traditional round 1 Rabbitohs/Roosters game to see a delayed telecast of Storm v Warriors?  I don't think so.  Monday night is fine by me.

(Particularly since I work on the corner of King and Collins, two blocks from Hellstra Dome)

It's also fine by me that our games end up on Fox Sports.  No ads, better commentary, live coverage nationwide, fewer stoppages in play, and truth in advertising when it comes to kickoff times.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
lotti

yeah but I thought it was traditional that the Premiers played the opening game of the season ok it's the Centenary season but but we should still be playing on the first game of season 2008.
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

It's been tradition for some time that the Roosters and the Rabbitohs open the first (and last) round of the season.  The second FNF game for Queenslanders is a new thing.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Buzz wrote: Yes lotti. Having subscribed to Foxtel, I have stumbled across their amazingly extensive NRL coverage. Your complaint was with why not play on Friday night (not Saturday or Sunday). And yes, Nein could show the game live. Count for me how many times that happened last year? If Nein refused to guarantee the game would be live on a Friday night would it not be better for Storm to have it on a Monday when they are the only game on?

Again, talking about benefits for the club, not us as fans.
Great to be back eh  ;-)
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

mrpc wrote: It's been tradition for some time that the Roosters and the Rabbitohs open the first (and last) round of the season.  The second FNF game for Queenslanders is a new thing.
If i recall correctly, the reason given last year was the previous years (ie: 2006) premiers (grrr... Brisbane) and runners up (us) were to be the games that opened the season on the friday night so i can see where lotti is coming from, i expected the same thing for this year. Personally i was surprised and disappointed that the same reason went out the window this year and we got stuck with the Monday night game but i am trying to think about the bigger picture as Buzz has mentioned, doesn't mean i am happy about it tho.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

mrpc wrote: Do people from regional areas ever open their mouths around city people these days except to whinge?

If it's not the water, it's the logging, or the alpine grazing, or the potholes, or the fault resolution response time from telstra, or the petrol or diesel price (despite the fact that on-farm diesel there is sold without the 38.143 cent per litre excise that everyone else pays).  And now it's Fridays.  The same complaint was made when the North Queensland Cowboys got scheduled for a friday night home game last year sometime.
Sorry, looks like I've touched a raw nerve there. As this is a discussion based forum I will keep my opinions to myself from now on incase I offend anybody else.
Sorry mrpc for taking up your precious time.

just my opinion on a melbourne storm issue that someone wants to make into a sweeping statement about people in the country. :?
just my opinions......critique them, don't criticise me!!!
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

This city person finds it easier to get around the inner north on public transport on a Friday versus a Sunday.

Does anyone remember how many extra trams the Storm organised at the end of the Storm v Broncos trial game a year ago?  Oh, yeah, zero.  It was quite a wait between services too.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

mrpc wrote: This city person finds it easier to get around the inner north on public transport on a Friday versus a Sunday.

Does anyone remember how many extra trams the Storm organised at the end of the Storm v Broncos trial game a year ago?  Oh, yeah, zero.  It was quite a wait between services too.
Funny you should mention that mrpc - someone from metlink used to call me at the start of the week when we had home games to ask what sort of crowd we were expecting so they could organise extra services......
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Tigger wrote:
mrpc wrote: Does anyone remember how many extra trams the Storm organised at the end of the Storm v Broncos trial game a year ago?  Oh, yeah, zero.  It was quite a wait between services too.
Funny you should mention that mrpc - someone from metlink used to call me at the start of the week when we had home games to ask what sort of crowd we were expecting so they could organise extra services......
So Metlink got proactive before the Storm did?  I don't picture either organization as being proactive about organising public transport services.  It's nice that at least one of the above got the ball rolling though.

It would be nice if they could reinstate the Route 605 bus stops outside the Graveyard's western entrance.  Right now the bus sails past that gate and only stops near the eastern gate.  Extra services on the 605 before and after games would be nice too, but I'll probably not expect that to ever happen either.

As for the other bus route near the graveyard, back when I lived down near St Kilda Junction it was also bloody annoying when the Route 246 buses were running every half hour after games, and occasionally one just didn't show up.  Organising extra 246's seems to be completely out of scope for every entity involved (National Bus, Metlink and the Storm).  Even if it meant standing at the bus stop for 45 minutes it was stlll quicker to get that bus than to walk all the way to the Yarts centre and then spend 20 minutes on a tram that meanders its way down St Kilda Road stopping at every red light.

Organising trams would be kinda pointless, there is no tram stop that's particularly convenient to the graveyard anymore.  Those steps and ramps down to the tram stops nearby are damned annoying, and the trams take so long to show up and just as long to get you anywhere, and they only ever have one tram show up when there are enough people waiting to fill four trams.  It's actually better on AFL game days/nights as the AFL organises for plenty of extra trams to be in the area, far more than would ever be deemed necessary to move their MCG crowds.  Shuttle buses from and to Flinders Street Station would be damned helpful though.
Last edited by mrpc on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lotti

I know, we rang up after the Broncos final to complain about the lack of trams.