Norths Devils

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

Be interested in some comments from those that understand the QLD system better.  Below is the Norths Colts side for the first round.  Some of the really promising Storm players such as Sam Joe, Liam Foran, Joel Thompson, Aidan Tolman and Ryan Gilbert have been picked to play Colts rather than FOGS Cup.  Looking at the FOGS Cup Team the only known Storm player listed is Jarred Stack.  There looks to have been a clear decision to have the younger Storm players play in Colts rather than the next grade up.  Is the Colts system actually a better standard than FOGS Cup? 

Norths Devils

Players:
1.  Ryan TONGIA
2.  Jharal YOW YEH
3.  Kurt THOMPSON
4.  Sam JOE
5.  Gerrard TIBBETS
6.  Liam FORAN
7.  Sean YORSTON
13. Joel THOMPSON
12. Louis FANENE
11. Aidan GUERRA
10. Isaac SCHWENKE
9.  Clint MATTHEWS
8.  Aiden TOLMAN

Interchange:
14. Ryan GILBERT
15. Nathan STOKES
16. Mike FA'AUMISILI
17. Jacob SAMOA

Coach: Michael WHALLEY
Ahhh McGahan; you've done it agahan....
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I recall reading an article during this week i think that said a lot of "our" guys will be playing for Ipswich and maybe other clubs this weekend because Norths wanted to use "their" players... if that helps you?

Whilst Norths are still our feeder club this year, i don't think the relationship between the two clubs is all that great anymore...
Pal
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

It would be considered safer on the younger bodies to keep them in the colts system.  Few teenagers are physically developed enough to step up like Inglis and compete with people up to 10-15 years older than them.  Even then Inglis had time out last year with stress fractures.
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

Pal wrote: It would be considered safer on the younger bodies to keep them in the colts system.  Few teenagers are physically developed enough to step up like Inglis and compete with people up to 10-15 years older than them.  Even then Inglis had time out last year with stress fractures.
Yeah, thats what I thought.  The main reason I questioned it is that Foran and Thompson were very good in the trial games playing against men and I wondered whether if playing in a lesser competition would be an disadvantage to them given how close they looked to being first grade players in the trial games.

With regards to Norths, I read the comments regarding sending players to Ipswich.  The only player that I can see though that is not listed either in QLD Cup or Colts from the 38 player squad is Matt Bartlett (and he may be injured, not sure).  Turner, Blair and Matterson are all injured. May just have been a bit of a media beat-up. 
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'm looking forward to the game at Suncorp on Sunday.  Gonna make sure I get in early to see some the boys running around in Norths jerseys.  I'll take the good lens and try and get some good action pics.
*Champagne football*
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

bootsie16 wrote:With regards to Norths, I read the comments regarding sending players to Ipswich.  The only player that I can see though that is not listed either in QLD Cup or Colts from the 38 player squad is Matt Bartlett (and he may be injured, not sure).  Turner, Blair and Matterson are all injured. May just have been a bit of a media beat-up. 
Bartlett was injured in the trials. At the Storm family day/Broncos trial he was hobbling around with his foot in one of those huge boots.
girvie
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Is there a website that lists all the Colts teams?

I'm a little surprised Liam Foran isn't in the Qld Cup side.  He was playing Premier League at the end of last season.
www.mightybears.com

www.northsydneybears.com.au
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

girvie wrote: Is there a website that lists all the Colts teams?

I'm a little surprised Liam Foran isn't in the Qld Cup side.  He was playing Premier League at the end of last season.
Go to www.qrl.com.au  Under competitions look up FOGS Cup and they normally list the Reserves and Colts Teams each week.  From my experience one of the best sites for keeping up to date. 
Pal
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

bootsie16 wrote:
Pal wrote: It would be considered safer on the younger bodies to keep them in the colts system.  Few teenagers are physically developed enough to step up like Inglis and compete with people up to 10-15 years older than them.  Even then Inglis had time out last year with stress fractures.
Yeah, thats what I thought.  The main reason I questioned it is that Foran and Thompson were very good in the trial games playing against men and I wondered whether if playing in a lesser competition would be an disadvantage to them given how close they looked to being first grade players in the trial games.
I'd say they want to avoid the players dealing with the week-in week-out grind of competing against phsyically mature bodies.  Can't speak for Norths, but with Easts the young guys will get a game ot two in the As (or the state side if they are guns) every now and again but spend most of their time in the colts.