Top 4 a possibility?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
lotti

it is, I like the top 5 at the moment.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thunderstruck wrote:an in-form team are always getting closer to getting out of form and that's when we strike ;)

After the bye we absolutely must butcher the Tigers and the Cowboys because the 2 points in each of those games are crucial. Whatever happens next week, we'll remain 5th unless the Cowboys can score 120 more than the Raiders. Unfortunately the Tigers have the wood on the Bulldogs and after what happened Friday night, they will almost certainly smash them, bringing them to 32 points. On the other hand, should they lose next week, everything falls squarely on our shoulders and no one else, to ensure we beat the hell out of the Tigers to give us 4th place on F/A.

To get to 4th, we need to stay at least on equal points with the Tigers.
As long as you don't get Steve Clark for the match, I don't see that much difference between 4th and 5th ... sure it means the difference between a home and away semi (and yes I'd prefer the latter while I know you wouldn't) but the Tigers were the only team to not to beat the white jerseys.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bulldogs have a hell of a lot of injuries (Sherwin, Patten, Tonga, Williams, El Masri, Perry etc.), so I can't see them rolling the red-hot Tigers. But you never know, the Tigers, Eels & Dragons could falter, just like the Broncos have of late. Still, I think 5th is a fairly safe bet as long as we don't get complacent.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I reckon well finish 5th, we own 5ths arse. 100% record when finishing 5th
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/KimmorleyKiller/TheT
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

KimmorleyKiller wrote:I reckon well finish 5th, we own 5ths arse. 100% record when finishing 5th
And 0% record for home finals. :cry:
billies later
Squall
Squall

We won a home final. 98 against Raiders. We are 1 from 3 in home finals!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

billies later wrote:We won a home final. 98 against Raiders. We are 1 from 3 in home finals!
Oops, forgot about that one. Okay 33.3333333333% record in home finals. :oops:
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

you forgot a 3 Surandy. ;)

Other than against us, the Tigers have a fairly easy run vs. Bulldogs and Panthers, so I'm pretty sure they'll stay ahead of us even if we do win both of our remaining games. 5th it is, yet again.

Oh, and Broncos games could be interesting without Lockyer, although they do play the Panthers and Roosters while he's missing... not that it really matters to us.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was thinking about it last night, and at the end of the day, finishing top 4 is out of our destiny now. All we can do is win the remaining games to ensure we finish 5th, as the Cowboys game the last week will possibly determine 5th or 6th. If we beat the Tigers, they will be one win ahead of us still, so they have to lose one of the games against Dogs and Panthers. Possible, but probably unlikely.

Our best bet is to forget top 4 and just focus on doing what we do right. That will mean we win the remaining games, and then just see what happens. 5th will mean too that it would be unlikely for us to be knocked out if we were knocked off in the first round too, so that is a positive
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So we'll play Wests Tigers at home or away in the 1st week of finals, thats not bad!! Hopefully there's no fairytale this season, coz their looking like the team to do it.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

that's how i see it Bula, but that depends on us beating Wests after the bye
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote:Storm could feasibly finish anywhere from 2nd to 9th.
It's impossible for us to get 2nd. Dragons have a bye left, they will at least be on 32. Same with the Eels. The most points we can get is 32 by winning the last 2 rounds. With the Eels and Dragons playing each other this weekend, one of those teams is certain to be out of reach barring disqualification of points.

And realistically, we are all but certain to make th 8, no way we will drop out now, and it will be a tough ask to get even 3rd. One team may fall from the 4, but not 2.

:faroah:
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's not that far-fetched to make the top 4. If we take care of our business against the Tigers and Cowboys, the Tigers MUST win against both Dogs and Penrith. If they lose either of those matches, they're gone.
KimmorleyKiller wrote:I reckon well finish 5th, we own 5ths arse. 100% record when finishing 5th
Yeah, 1 from 1 isn't bad, is it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

2004 - 6th defeated Brisbane
2003 - 5th defeated Canberra
2000 - 6th, lost Newcastle
1999 - 3rd lost Dragons
1998 - 3rd lost Roosters (another home final where we defeated Canberra)

:faroah:
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lord Reynoldson wrote:
Surandy wrote:Storm could feasibly finish anywhere from 2nd to 9th.
It's impossible for us to get 2nd. Dragons have a bye left, they will at least be on 32. Same with the Eels. The most points we can get is 32 by winning the last 2 rounds. With the Eels and Dragons playing each other this weekend, one of those teams is certain to be out of reach barring disqualification of points.

And realistically, we are all but certain to make th 8, no way we will drop out now, and it will be a tough ask to get even 3rd. One team may fall from the 4, but not 2.
Ahem, LR, get back to delusionland. We can feasibly finish 2nd. After Round 23 Storm on 26 points, Eels on 32 & Dragons on 30 with a bye to come, if they lose their remaining matches and we win ours plus the bye then we're all equal on 32 points. We could get into 2nd position on points differential.

EDIT: Oops, didn't read your bit about the Eels and Dragons playing this weekend. Ah well, 3rd will do me then. 8)
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Well after last night's game Storm are guaranteed a finals spot!!!