Re: Players off contract

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Keep:
Slater, Orford, Johnson, Friend, Tanielu, Kidwell

Get rid of:
McFadden, Moala, Howe

Need a big year to get a new contract:
Williams, Kearney - at their best these 2 are essential, but we could afford to lose them if we are running out of salary cap room. After Williams' game against the Bunnies, he doesn't have much to worry about!!

Who should the Storm be targeting to recruit? What sort of players do we need?
I think we're one quality young second rower away from an awesome squad.
tdcockers
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

:withstupid:

i agree completely with him
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apart from the Kearney part. The captain of the club is crucial to stay, for morale as much as anything else. Plus his game against Souths was great. Add to that he is the only international in the team, and I would say he is vital and should, nay must play out his career with Storm... in case you can't tell I'm a huge Mooks fan 8)
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think Friend will earn his worth come Origin time :D
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree Earl
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Lucas wrote:Who should the Storm be targeting to recruit?
NO-ONE, we don't need to go to the player market, the young guys coming through from Norths have given us great depth. Our current squad has all the bases covered to take us to a title.

Retention of our existing players is the number one priority. Storm should focus all their resources on getting our key players locked in and only have a "hitlist" drawn up as plan B should any of our players walk out on us.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Come June 30, we will know who we need to buy, maybe a new halfback.
I can tell you's now that not everyone off contract will be re-signed. And
Bellamy will buy a couple of new guys if that's the case.

Although Howe's playing bad now, if he comes good, he can be a very good
player.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

steaming stormer wrote: Add to that he is the only international in the team
David Kidwell is in the Kiwi team for Vaealiki.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

NZ Storm wrote:
NO-ONE, we don't need to go to the player market, the young guys coming through from Norths have given us great depth. Our current squad has all the bases covered to take us to a title.

Retention of our existing players is the number one priority. Storm should focus all their resources on getting our key players locked in and only have a "hitlist" drawn up as plan B should any of our players walk out on us.
Totally agree, very well put.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

NZ Storm wrote:

Good point, I do hope that we try and recruit Lauiti'ti if we can fit him in our cap (once Slater, Orford and co are all signed up).
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Correct me if I'm wrong but would we have a bit of spare money due to Ross' retirement?
tdcockers
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

that money will have to be split between orford and slater and maybe one other to retain their services i think
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

We're not recruiting Ali according to today's paper and yes, the money spared by Ross should be used to retain our players instead of signing new ones. Orford said it's gonna be his last NRL contract cuz he's planning to move to England, so we better sign him to a long term deal, say 5 years :D he's what, 24 now?
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thunderstruck wrote:We're not recruiting Ali according to today's paper and yes, the money spared by Ross should be used to retain our players instead of signing new ones. Orford said it's gonna be his last NRL contract cuz he's planning to move to England, so we better sign him to a long term deal, say 5 years :D he's what, 24 now?
Well, that kind of debunks the rumour that Ox will move to a new central coast side if Singo's bid comes up trumps.

Sign him! Sign him NOW!!! :twisted:
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

this is the article TS is talking about, very nice picture of a toppless billy i must say
:P

Storm makes Slater its man
Karl deKroo
22apr04

MELBOURNE Storm will not pursue the services of Kiwi powerhouse Ali Lauiti'iti, instead focusing its attentions on re-signing stars Billy Slater and Matt Orford.

Following the retirement of fullback Robbie Ross, Storm has some room to manoeuvre under its $3.25 million salary cap.
Up to 12 clubs are thought to be interested in signing Lauiti'iti, who has been released from the final two and half years of his contract with the besieged New Zealand Warriors.

Storm considered making a bid for Lauiti'iti, who is rated as one of the game's elite back rowers, but ruled itself out of the running yesterday.

"We have a fair bit of depth in the forwards at the moment," Storm football manager Greg Brentnall said.

"I think we would be looking to strengthen other areas."

Storm sees Slater and Orford as franchise players and the club is desperate to sign them to long term deals ahead of the NRL's anti-tampering deadline of June 30.

Both players would attract interest from rival clubs if allowed to enter the open market.

Slater said last night he hoped to commit to Storm for at least the next three years.

"My manager is working through a few details with the club," Slater said.

"I am staying out of it as much as I can, but I am definitely keen to stay.

"I am excited about the future down here and I want to be part of it."

Slater was one of the finds of 2003, and the talented fullback is tipped to break into the representative arena with Queensland this year.

"The next couple of years are going to be important ones for me," Slater said.

"There are still a few things we need to work out, but hopefully we can finalise something in the next couple of weeks."

The club has also opened negotiations with Orford's management. The in-form halfback has indicated his next contract is likely to be his last in NRL. He is seeking a long-term deal before possibly ending his career in England.

Lauiti'iti could also be England-bound, with a number of English Super League clubs willing to offer up to $500,000 a season for his services.

The Warriors hit back at suggestions that it was in crisis yesterday.

In a statement, skipper Monty Betham backed the decision to cut Lauiti'iti, who appears lacking in motivation.

"The players are right behind the management and coaching staff," Betham said.

"Players who don't care about winning a premiership have no place at the Warriors.

Warriors halfback Sta cey Jones also denied there was a rift between he and coach Daniel Anderson.

"There are no problems between Daniel Anderson and I, and there never have been," Jones said.
Last edited by Dani_ on Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]