Possible Upgrade to Olympic Park

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The international series against Ireland is successful because it is a hybrid AFL Game, so yes, it is a different game, but it is AFL players and that makes it close enough to AFL for the public.
As for the World Cup, I agree this was a success, although you must remember that this is International sport rather than a domestic competition, and will always capture the imagination of the public. Look at the olympics, even sports like beach volleyball were sold out. During the normal beach volleyball season, noone even knows or cares about it. I think this is what the world cup was, an event rather than the sport.
And last but not least, we of course are better than sydney, at everything!!!! :lol:
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

steaming stormer wrote:As for the World Cup, I agree this was a success, although you must remember that this is International sport rather than a domestic competition
Super 12, also, is an International competition!! 8)
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lucas wrote:
steaming stormer wrote:As for the World Cup, I agree this was a success, although you must remember that this is International sport rather than a domestic competition
Super 12, also, is an International competition!! 8)
Lucas, do you realise that the NRL is an international competition too? Teams from two countries compete.

I think the point that steaming stormer is trying to make is that Super 12 is a club sport, team versus team rather than country versus country and as such doesn't have the same appeal. The atmosphere I witnessed surrounding the world cup was very much like the Sydney olympics, the spectators treated it more as a one-off event and a lot of those spectators wouldn't bother with the Super 12 games as they don't have the same atmosphere that one-off events have.

Surandy
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Re: Super 12's - they currently have between 5 and 6 home games each season with the season running from February to May.

I read somewhere the difference between league and union (competition - not sport) is they have strengths where the other has weaknesses. For instance - League has a very strong domestic competition, but a very weak international competition. Union has the reverse - very strong international, but very weak domestic (almost like soccer really!).

AFL has a very strong domestic - very weak international - however - I predict this will be different in 20 years time - with an AFL world cup surpassing the League and possibly Union worlds cup! :) Don't forget the AFL held their first World Cup last year. Several teams were fielded - with strong showings from the Kiwis, Canadians and several other countries. Australia of course abstained.

Back to the OP topic tho - the State Government was all set to revamp OP as the primary athletics venue of the Commonwealth Games - until the Minister for AFL took over, and relocated the funds for OP to the MCG. Those redevelopment funds are now going to be spent partially to top up the MCG redevelopment, and to lay down a temporary athletics track for the Commonwealth Games, then rip it up for the AFL and cricket again! Talk about wasted money!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote:
I think the point that steaming stormer is trying to make is that Super 12 is a club sport, team versus team rather than country versus country and as such doesn't have the same appeal. The atmosphere I witnessed surrounding the world cup was very much like the Sydney olympics, the spectators treated it more as a one-off event and a lot of those spectators wouldn't bother with the Super 12 games as they don't have the same atmosphere that one-off events have.

Surandy
Exactly what I'm trying to say Surandy... well summized!! :wink:
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Lucas wrote:Well considering the huge success of this very franchise (the Storm) in Victoria, I would have to disagree with that. Also the International Series against the Irish was a huge success in Melbourne as well. Furthermore, the RWC was very popular in Melbourne, so I would give the Victorian fans the benefit of the doubt on this one.

They are streets better then Sydney fans, who despite a huge population can only facilitate 1 AFL team, getting minute crowds to their games as well.
I think you're confusing 'Big Game Eventers' with genuine fans.There are people in Melbourne that will go to ANY big sporting event.These same people will tell you they are dead set,one eyed fans of this or that team,but when asked will tell you 'they don't get to many games'.
Big Game itis will result in large crowds for at least one season of S12 kick n clap,then the novelty factor will be shot.Along with any goodwill or loyalty RL has built up in this state.

Do I follow an AFL team ? NO
Am I anti AFL ? NO
Am I anti Union ? With a passion :twisted:
The RL-RU war is a place where no right thinking RL fan could 'sit on the fence' & trust me.........It is a war & has been for over a hundred years.
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

PD wrote:The RL-RU war is a place where no right thinking RL fan could 'sit on the fence' & trust me.........It is a war & has been for over a hundred years.
Well that's your opinion on it, and it is also a massive generalisation. I am a fan of both codes of rugby - none more than the other, and I am sure that I am not alone in that view.

You are a passionate league follower, I am a passionate sport follower.
Last edited by Lucas on Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silkin
Squall
Squall

You are not alone Lucas there are 2 dual supporters in this house
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

It may be alright to be a 50/50 league/union supporter in Victoria, but it is near impossible in the 'coalface' states of QLD or NSW. You are either pro-league or pro-union.

I am actually anti-union - but I still went to two RWC games. So what does that tell you about the numbers that attended the games? The first one I went to support the USA and the second to boo England - I would have done it if it were a hockey world cup. It had nothing to do with game. In fact having seen these international matches, makes me savour the just finished Kangaroo Series in which very few will appreciate the closeness of the competition (unlike any of the pool games I saw)
*Champagne football*
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

i am anti unoin aswell and would like to see the storm kick some butt ,but i think if a union team were to be bought in to the equasiontthen that would mean less storm supporters and that is what we dont need. :D
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]