Round 10 vs Sharks

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NAS can potentially cover back row too...
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I think NAS is prop and prop only atm.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Loiero also moves wide at a pinch
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Whoever plays this is the game where our forwards really need to aim up, let’s be honest here only King, Grant, Blore and Katoa have been performing consistently this year.

Every other player needs to really up their input and effort to help carry the collective load, I’d love nothing more than to see Welch running straight and hard like he used to, no handbrake on Loiero into the line, NAS and Tui coming on and running for over 150m each and just skittling defenders.

We have a lot of strike out, this game reminds me of round 1 vs Penrith, it won’t be a shootout, we need to grind them to dust, I’m so glad Garlick is back too, I would not be surprised to see him start and Harry come on after 20 like last year, it’s proven to be effective at keeping Harry fresh.

Let’s go boys, if we can take 18 of the first 20 points on offer this season, that would be an incredible feat with the draw we’ve had, this team whilst not as slick as previous years is gritty, it hasn’t always been pretty but we find a way to get it done, I expect the same on Saturday night.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I can appreciate gritty, close wins when we put in great defensive efforts, over quality opposition.

When we leak 20+ points though and barely scrape home in a shootout, it’s not quite the same.

Really need to tighten the defence up whilst settling on a pack that can consistently punch holes.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Crazy stat that might mean nothing or something. We are the only team in the comp that doesn’t have a forward that runs for at least 100m.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:19 pm Crazy stat that might mean nothing or something. We are the only team in the comp that doesn’t have a forward that runs for at least 100m.

I think it speaks volumes
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looking further into it I'll add that nrl.com's stats are a bit friendlier and different to fox sports' stats. They have us with a handful of guys going 100+ which has me annoyed as to why they are so different?

Overall I think the pack is "fine" but will have their good and bad games because we don't have that one guy who will carry them if/when needed.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Updated team

1. Sualauvi Faalogo
2. William Warbrick
3. Reimis Smith
4. Nick Meaney
5. Grant Anderson
6. Tyran Wishart
7. Cameron Munster
8. Christian Welch
9. Harry Grant (c)
10. Josh King
11. Shawn Blore
12. Eliesa Katoa
13. Trent Loiero

14. Bronson Garlick
15. Joe Chan
16. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
17. Alec MacDonald

19. Jack Howarth
22. Tui Kamikamica
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Cronulla have a sizeable pack. I think we need NAS to really explode and change the game up when he comes on.

They obviously run a lot through Hynes - be good to see what we can to shut him down
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Nailed it on the head, it should be a simple game plan this week.. Close down Hynes time & space, don’t let their big wingers get rolling and our forwards have to absolutely let rip and give it to their pack, particularly the bench guys.

Would like to see us really improve the fundamentals this week too as we have been pretty inconsistent with these this season. Low errors, low missed tackle count, high completions and show some discipline. It can be a really easy game when you get those right.

Losing Paps, Hughes and X is huge, probably our 3 best attackers, other guys need to pick up the slack. I’m expecting some big performances from some guys who have been quiet this year.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Paps, Hughes and Xavier are worth a combined 12-16 points per game and factoring in Katoa will be getting shit service all game it's even more grim.

We either win by 2 points or we are going down by 13+

The troops are just thin in the wrong spots this week
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Only seen snippets of it but Sua has a chance to create a few more opportunities for us that Paps just simply can't atm. The worry I have with the swap is replacing what Paps has brought as a fullback in defence. His positioning and effort has been a huge upgrade over Meaney and we'll need Sua to keep that up.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nicho Hynes reportedly out of game tonight.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yep Nicho gone.

Also Howarth and Kamikamika are in for Garlick and Chan.