Johnson tackles up a Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

HE IS one of the smallest forwards in the NRL, but when Dallas Johnson hits, it hurts.

According to his peers, the Melbourne Storm lock is the best tackler in the competition.

While he stands at "only" 182cm and 93kg, Johnson stings ball carriers like few others in the competition.

Canberra's Clinton Schifcofske felt the full force of Johnson's shoulder on Sunday. The fullback will spend six weeks on the sidelines with damaged rib cartilage.

Schifcofske isn't the first player to learn the hard way that Johnson is not the man to target in the Storm defensive line.

In this week's Big League magazine, a player survey names Johnson as the competition's best defender.

He rated ahead of noted big-hitters, including Bulldog Sonny Bill Williams and Rooster Adrian Morley.

"I'm a massive fan of Dallas Johnson," Warriors skipper Steve Price said.

"When he hits you, it doesn't look spectacular. But you often find yourself getting up slowly, and you have a look next time you decide to run the ball."

Johnson's tackling prowess played a major role in his selection in Queensland's preliminary State-of-Origin squad yesterday. He said it was what kept him in the Storm squad each week.

"Defence is probably the main strength of my game, and it has been since I was a kid," Johnson said.

"I was never the biggest player on the field, so it was something I had to do well.

"I am working pretty hard to try and improve my attack, but my defence is what gets me in the team each week."

Storm defensive coach Dean Lance, a noted tackler in his time with Canberra, rates Johnson as one of the toughest small forwards he has seen.

"The key ingredient in defending is attitude, and that's Dallas's real strength," Lance said.

"Technically he is very good. He gets in close and low and drives at the legs and he knocks them backwards. His technique is great, but he is just a tough bugger and he rips in. If you had 13 of him on the field each week, you wouldn't lose many games."

Because of his stature, Johnson is targeted by opposition props. But they often end up on their backs.

"I think the big fellas are always looking for a small guy to run at. And I am one of the smallest," Johnson said.

"I just try and stop them as best as I can, and it probably lifts the team a bit if you can put them on their backsides. They certainly don't like it much when it happens."

heraldsun.com.au
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea Dallas i s awesome in defence, best defender since Matt Rua i think, maybe even better.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]