Round 18 - Sea Eagles vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Vete was amazing. His hits sent the Dragons players backwards.

Top class performance.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

brisbanestorm wrote:I was quite impressed with Vete. Thought he provided an immediate impact. Will be interesting to see how he fits in to the picture when we start to get forwards back.
Yea, and he offers something a little different to any other forward in the team. Kinda hoping he forces Bellamy's hand and becomes a must pick for us.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote:
brisbanestorm wrote:I was quite impressed with Vete. Thought he provided an immediate impact. Will be interesting to see how he fits in to the picture when we start to get forwards back.
Yea, and he offers something a little different to any other forward in the team. Kinda hoping he forces Bellamy's hand and becomes a must pick for us.
I know he was only on for a short time, but I suspect that by his impressive debut he has leapfrogged a few others to grab Sam's bench spot.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss I think you are right Albert definitely leapfrogged a couple of players.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Leapfrogged Pat Kaufusi I'd say, not sure about Kamikamica though, thought he played quite well.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cameron wrote:Vete was amazing. His hits sent the Dragons players backwards.

Top class performance.
I think his ideal role is being brought on late and sent charging into tiring forwards. Playing longer minutes, impact wise, will dilute his effectiveness.
I thought Tui was ok, not quite getting over excited just yet unlike others.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

He hit Nightingale so hard that Nittingales arm was almost broken
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Deadpool wrote:I’ve already said he played good, but you know people saying he should be in the side ahead of Chambers is absolutely ridiculous. Plus those stats don’t tell the whole story, he’s first try he didn’t have to do anything other then catch the ball, he’s second try was a beauty I’ll give him that but at the same time it was terrible defence from the Dragons more then anything, I mean Dufty didn’t want to even try to tackle him.
Watching the replay yesterday of the Dragons game and some points on Blair...

Cheyse didn't dummy to fool Dufty but he did reposition to hold the ball across his body in two hands which put Dufty in two minds, thinking that a pass to the winger was on.
Deadpool wrote:There were a couple other times where there were half a chance but his lack of speed killed any threat and he ended up running back into the defenders coming across.
Flat out didn't happen my friend. May have been an issue in previous games and now you just expect it? But certainly wasn't an occurence in the Dragons game. Outside of the long range try Cheyse put on, he only received the ball on the run on one ocassion (5 mins in to the game) with a blind side play. In that instance the play was well covered by the Dragons and he made the absolute right play by cutting back inside. Even if Cheyse had JAC's speed, the Dragons had this particular play covered.

Other than that, Cheyse's involvement on offence was limited to hit-ups coming out of our end. Two of which he made half breaks from nothing for good gains.
Deadpool wrote:0 missed tackles but he did have an ineffective one.
The 'ineffective tackle' was a one-on-one he made on Aitken but Aitken managed to pop an offload.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Team named this afternoon but the halfback question will likely continue right up until an hour before kick-off, with Origin still to come.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would do the same if I was them... but man I hate the scum!!

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/09/man ... -face-off/

Sea Eagles spark Storm rivalry again as Walker, Scott face off
Author Dan Walsh Timestamp Mon 9 Jul 2018, 06:00 PM

Melbourne's Curtis Scott can expect a torrid reception when he lobs on the Northern Beaches for the first time since fracturing Dylan Walker's eye socket, reigniting the fierce rivalry between the two clubs.

Manly have poured further petrol on the fire by marketing this Saturday's clash as the 10th anniversary of their 2008 grand final demolition of the Storm, selling shirts and merchandise branded "40-nil" to commemorate the club's biggest triumph over their Victorian adversary, despite enduring one of their most forgettable seasons on record.

Walker will be named at five-eighth on Tuesday but still must pass muster through the week after suffering a partially dislocated kneecap against Penrith. It was his first game back since Scott's punch left him sidelined for six weeks.

Members of the Sea Eagles side that belted Melbourne 40-0 will be in attendance at Lottoland, though it's unlikely title-winner Anthony Watmough will be among them after his recent attack on current skipper Daly Cherry-Evans, in which he denigrated the star half and alleged that he refused to train until his contract was upgraded in 2012.

In a season where Manly are seemingly lurching from one off-field drama to another and struggling with just five wins for the season, veteran forward Joel Thompson conceded that baiting the high-flying Storm may not be the sharpest move.

"We've still got a long way to go, we've been battling this year," Thompson said.

"We had a good win the other week but we need to build from that. That's the standard we need to go from there.

"There's a type of game, you don't need to build it up too much talking about it. I think it'll all come. The reunion and the anniversary of the grand final, we just need to focus on the game that we need to bring and what we need to do as individuals.

"I think when you get caught up in those sort of things, I know myself, [if] I'm going out there thinking about ripping people's heads off [then] I'm not doing my role the best I can."

Scott will likely be public enemy No.1 with the Sea Eagles faithful, particularly given he only served a two-week suspension for the blow that ruled Walker out for triple that amount of time.

Despite Walker declaring he has no hard feelings over the punch – even declaring last week that "he got me a beauty" – veteran half Trent Hodkinson expects the Storm youngster to cop it from the crowd on Saturday evening.

"I've been on the receiving end of a few sprays out there in different colours so I'm sure they won't be too quiet or nice to him," Hodkinson said.

Fellow Sea Eagles firebrand Martin Taupau backed Walker's confrontational approach to the game, which the ex-NSW utility says still gets the best results from him.

"Dylan Walker, he's always got something to say," Taupau said.

"He's definitely a character and he's one that will definitely pull you out of the trenches whether that's with his actions or his words.

"I think he's renowned for getting under players' skins with what he says. It sort of backfired in that game though."
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:Manly have poured further petrol on the fire by marketing this Saturday's clash as the 10th anniversary of their 2008 grand final demolition of the Storm, selling shirts and merchandise branded "40-nil" to commemorate the club's biggest triumph over their Victorian adversary, despite enduring one of their most forgettable seasons on record.

Members of the Sea Eagles side that belted Melbourne 40-0 will be in attendance at Lottoland

veteran half Trent Hodkinson expects the Storm youngster to cop it from the crowd on Saturday evening."
Classy mob, as we have come to expect...

I hope Curtis knocks Walker on his ass again.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

$1.30 Curtis Scott gets sin binned.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Win, lose or draw: no amount of reminiscing about one game 10 years ago will stop the manly faithful from waking up the next day and remembering:
a) they won't be playing finals in 2018
b) their salary cap is a mess and they won't be able to make any decent signings in the next year or so
c) their current players hate each other
d) their ex-players hate their current players
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gunna guess Hughes in 7, Jacks on the bench, and Croft extended bench.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Slightly off and JBrom has recovered from a season ending injury to being named this week!

1. Billy Slater
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. William Chambers
4. Curtis Scott
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith ©
10. Nelson Asofa Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Ryan Hoffman