Round 17 v Dragons

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Question is, what 'veteran half backs' are available - and still comes down to where does Craig see Croft from a development standpoint.

We were lucky with Cronk in that he was able to play that hooker/utility role off the bench before establishing himself as a half back - where Croft I don't believe has the size or defence to do that. Doesn't mean the development isn't still in place, just a different pathway
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I still want Croft to be our halfback going forward. I want him back in as soon as possible. I thought he was unfairly blamed at the start of the year
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Deadpool wrote:I still want Croft to be our halfback going forward. I want him back in as soon as possible. I thought he was unfairly blamed at the start of the year
I want him back in if he's in form and earned his spot. There was huge potential as we saw in his games last year and the WCC, but he's dropped off, even Q Cup form hasn't been great from what I've read. Hopefully the background work is building him back up
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Croft has gone backwards at an alarming rate.

We need someone who has 5-10 years experience in the position and just doesn't make any mistakes.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Halves need a lot more development time than the other positions because they shoulder so much of the creative burden for the team. I think the storm do see Croft as the future, but want to make sure he's given the right amount of time to develop. The question is: does that happen best in first grade or in reserves?

And there aren't any 'veteran halfbacks' out there coming off contract this season. Corey Norman is reportedly being shopped around by Parra, but he fails our no DH policy.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What you need to know - Round 17

melbournestorm.com.au
Thu 5 Jul 2018

Storm of the future
With six players currently away on Origin duty, Thursday night will provide Storm fans with a look into the bright future of this Club. Ryan Hoffman and Cameron Smith have played more NRL games between them than the other 17 players in the squad combined. Only one other player, Kenny Bromwich, has played over 80 games. While experience will be lacking against the Dragons, flair, dare and youthful exuberance will not. Suliasi Vunivalu, Curtis Scott, Jahrome Hughes, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Joe Stimson and Brandon Smith are just some of rising Storm stars who will light up AAMI Park and give Storm fans plenty to be excited about heading into the next generation.

What a win/loss means
It is getting to that point in the season where the eyes begin to wander to the ladder and the calculator comes out to work out the potential impact the weekend's result can have. Thursday night is one of those games that brings with it that level of importance. With the Panthers (4th) and Warriors (5th) playing one another, should Storm defeat the Dragons it would mean they would move a game clear inside the top four and just one win off top spot. A defeat however would mean Craig Bellamy's mean could be equal with eighth place on 22 competition points.

A Graveyard for the Dragons
1999 - that is how long it has been since St George Illawarra tasted success in Melbourne. The Dragons are on a run of 12 consecutive losses in the southern state. It is a slice of history Paul McGregor's men will be desperate to put to bed. They have gone close though in their last two trips to AAMI Park, falling by just two points in 2016 and four points in 2014.

Emergency Services Cup
For the tenth consecutive year Melbourne Storm and St George Illawarra will play for the Emergency Services Cup. Both teams began the concept the honour all the Emergency Services personnel who dedicate themselves to protecting both the NSW and Victorian people. The Dragons are the current holders of the trophy having won the earlier meeting between these two teams back in Round 9. All Emergency Services people will be given 50 per cent off their tickets to the game on Thursday night.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

We just need to catch the ball; hold the ball and throw the ball

in windy conditions

I remember the tigers game earlier in the season

basically the wind beat us.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:
Deadpool wrote:I still want Croft to be our halfback going forward. I want him back in as soon as possible. I thought he was unfairly blamed at the start of the year
I want him back in if he's in form and earned his spot. There was huge potential as we saw in his games last year and the WCC, but he's dropped off, even Q Cup form hasn't been great from what I've read. Hopefully the background work is building him back up
Last season and the WCC he was given the ball and being used like a Cronk-lite. For whatever reason that changed to start the season. His confidence and form dropped while Smith and Slater essentially ignored him at the same time.

We're 2 months out from the finals and we have no answer to a problem that shouldn't have needed asking this season.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Last season and the WCC he was given the ball and being used like a Cronk-lite. For whatever reason that changed to start the season. His confidence and form dropped while Smith and Slater essentially ignored him at the same time.
I don’t believe it was a decision to change the way we play footy. I think it was circumstance and a series of events.

The refereeing crackdown and our inability to hold the ball were the key factors IMO. From that, Croft didn’t have the same platform to work from that he had previously. He was more rushed and under pressure and it led to his own errors. Once they started happening, Smith/Slater lost faith in him, starved him of the ball out of fear of more turnovers and it exacerbated Croft’s issues.

I think off the back of a normal flowing game (that we are almost seeing again in the NRL now) and fewer errors from us, he would play well.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bellamy has lost confidence in Croft as well

and that is a sure sign that he is in heaps of trouble.

Croft's decision making was very poor.

and he ended up losing total faith in himself, remember the time he didn't even go for the ball in the kick off vrs Tigers.

if they go back to Croft again and he can't snap out of his malaise, that is his career at the Storm over.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That's a really good point about the flow of the game being different early.

Croft was very much is own worst enemy the first 5 weeks but I do think if we're 3-2 or 4-1 he's given more leeway from Bellamy. He and the team are probably better off if they had more patience with him.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Best thing that could happen for Croft is the retirement of Slater and a reduction in playmaking responsibilities for Smith. Then he'll get to run the team his way. The other more established young halves in the comp (Taylor, Cleary, Moses, Brooks) are either the primary play-callers in their team or share the duties evenly with the other playmaker.
In the meantime, perhaps Jacks is more suited to taking the backseat approach we are playing to in 2018 with Slater and Smith calling most of the shots.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A week ago Albert Vete left NZ and his wife said on Insta she would see him in a month when she moved ...suddenly she is on a flight with their daughter in Melbourne today ...I'm calling it Congrats Albert Vete storm player 189

I'll be surprised if I'm wrong

EDITTTT...just looked at his Insta and he said his ready for Game day....sooooo I guess he is playing
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:A week ago Albert Vete left NZ and his wife said on Insta she would see him in a month when she moved ...suddenly she is on a flight with their daughter in Melbourne today ...I'm calling it Congrats Albert Vete storm player 189

I think you are right Sallymay. I would expect Timm and Croft to drop off the bench or if Croft plays at 7 for unfortunately Olam to drop out of the team.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote:
sallymay wrote:A week ago Albert Vete left NZ and his wife said on Insta she would see him in a month when she moved ...suddenly she is on a flight with their daughter in Melbourne today ...I'm calling it Congrats Albert Vete storm player 189

I think you are right Sallymay. I would expect Timm and Croft to drop off the bench or if Croft plays at 7 for unfortunately Olam to drop out of the team.
i figured if Croft comes in, Hughes to FB, Young out and keep Olam in?